Powered by Outside

BC trip

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 11, 2024 at 7:48 Quote
Planning a trip of about 2 weeks for July. I’ve been to BC before years ago for whitewater boating and it was amazing. We saw Squamish, Whistler, pemberton area, the stein river.
I think we will probably stay in Whistler and ride there and in Squamish to get the most good riding and not have to drive around a bunch. We are driving up from California.
Some people suggested Sun peaks park near Kamloops.
I’m interested in seeing more of BC but with fire season and the long drive from California Squamish/whistler might be the best choice….

The last couple winters we went to Sedona for a week and im curious if there is a place like that in Bc - not in terms of the riding which I’m sure will be completely different- but just an amazing place to ride that doesn’t require much driving. Hopefully staying in Whistler will work like that. Also I like trails with some moisture so maybe Squamish/Whistler are more likely to have that…

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 12, 2024 at 10:33 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
Planning a trip of about 2 weeks for July. I’ve been to BC before years ago for whitewater boating and it was amazing. We saw Squamish, Whistler, pemberton area, the stein river.
I think we will probably stay in Whistler and ride there and in Squamish to get the most good riding and not have to drive around a bunch. We are driving up from California.
I’m interested in seeing more of BC but with fire season and the long drive from California Squamish/whistler might be the best choice….

The last couple winters we went to Sedona for a week and im curious if there is a place like that in Bc - not in terms of the riding which I’m sure will be completely different- but just an amazing place to ride that doesn’t require much driving. Hopefully staying in Whistler will work like that. Also I like trails with some moisture so maybe Squamish/Whistler are more likely to have that…

Sun Peaks is worth checking out for a few days if you can swing it. It's only 4.5 hours from Whistler if you take Highway 99/the Duffy North through Pemberton (some nice scenery on that route and you skip the city traffic). Kamloops can be pretty dry by then, but SP is higher elevation and gets more rain so there's usually still some moisture in the dirt in July. Once you're there you can ditch the car and cruise around by bike/on foot no problem. There's also great riding in Kamloops - SP to Kamloops is about 45mins so it's doable to check out Kamloops too if you wanted.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2024 at 8:21 Quote
How are the hotels or places to lock up the bikes for overnight?

s-loxton wrote:
haji1974 wrote:

Sun Peaks is worth checking out for a few days if you can swing it. It's only 4.5 hours from Whistler if you take Highway 99/the Duffy North through Pemberton (some nice scenery on that route and you skip the city traffic). Kamloops can be pretty dry by then, but SP is higher elevation and gets more rain so there's usually still some moisture in the dirt in July. Once you're there you can ditch the car and cruise around by bike/on foot no problem. There's also great riding in Kamloops - SP to Kamloops is about 45mins so it's doable to check out Kamloops too if you wanted.

Posted: May 19, 2024 at 7:27 Quote
Sun Peaks is fantastic but you will have to drive if you want to ride trails in nearby locales like Hedley or Kamloops. Both are fun regions fwiw.

Whistler's attraction is that you can park the car and ride to trails. Even if you drive, getting fron N of town to S of town is 15 minutes tops, except in the worse of traffic.

Squamish is the same as Whistler. You can ride to trails depending on where you stay.

O+ FL
Posted: May 19, 2024 at 8:10 Quote
skt4271 wrote:

Most of the hotels in Sun Peaks are okay for bike storage, several of them have dedicated storage rooms for bikes. The SP Grand is the biggest and has a bike valet room, as well as a pretty nice slopeside pool/hot tub set up. I think they do packages that include accom + bike park tickets.

Sun Peaks is less busy than Whistler, and summer is still the quieter season there compared to winter, so you can usually find decent prices on Air BNB's/vacation rentals too. Especially with the exchange rate from USD. There is also cheap camping available in the carpark near the lifts if you're in a truck or van.

O+
Posted: May 20, 2024 at 12:16 Quote
Bike valet, as in only the hotel employee will be handling the bike? if so, thats pretty nice to have.

Why is the summer less popular?

s-loxton wrote:
skt4271 wrote:

Most of the hotels in Sun Peaks are okay for bike storage, several of them have dedicated storage rooms for bikes. The SP Grand is the biggest and has a bike valet room, as well as a pretty nice slopeside pool/hot tub set up. I think they do packages that include accom + bike park tickets.

Sun Peaks is less busy than Whistler, and summer is still the quieter season there compared to winter, so you can usually find decent prices on Air BNB's/vacation rentals too. Especially with the exchange rate from USD. There is also cheap camping available in the carpark near the lifts if you're in a truck or van.

O+ FL
Posted: May 22, 2024 at 9:16 Quote
1. When I stayed there (for a work event, I live in town), the employee didn't actually touch my bike but walked my bike and I to the room. Maybe it's because I didn't hand them the bike? Don't know.

2. Because Sun Peaks is a pretty huge family ski destination with tons of people coming up from the Lower Mainland, Washington, and Alberta. Lift access DH simply isn't nearly as popular and the summer park is, comparatively, much smaller than the winter terrain. It also doesn't have the general tourist/schmuck shopping draw that keeps Whistler village busy all summer, being a much smaller village and three times as far from Vancouver.

Sun peaks is definitely good for a couple days. There's enough terrain from its two lifts that it should keep you busy for more than a day. There are now some pretty good pedal trails opposite the bike park. Nothing like whistler, which has hundreds of pedal access trails - Sun Peaks has about 4 sanctioned ones. Altitude XC (an XC loop from the top of the chair) is worth a spin, too. Depending how long you're going, I'd do 3 or so days at Sun Peaks and then a couple in the Sea to Sky or other resorts in the interior. You could spend a few more days at Sun Peaks if you were going to do a rest day or two and go drive to interesting hikes or something. To get a real taste for the rest of Kamloops riding you need to jump in the car.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007504
Mobile Version of Website