Powered by Outside

Bad sleep after evening training

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Bad sleep after evening training

Author Message
Posted: Jul 8, 2024 at 9:19 Quote
Hi everybody,

I just started a training plan a few weeks ago. With adult life, most days I only have time to train in the evenings after work, household tasks and putting the little one to bed.

I normally go out at 20:00 - 20:30 for an hour or 1.5 hours while there's still sunlight, when I get back home I eat something to recover the used calories, take a shower and get everything ready for the next day, normally go to bed at 23:00 - 23:30 and get up at 7:30, so I should be getting an 8 hour sleep, but the truth is that I'm probably sleeping only about 5 to 5,5 hours.

I've being following this schedule for the last few seasons, and always had a bad night sleep, but now with the training plan the rides are harder and more focused than when I just ride for fun, and as a consecuence my sleep is worst. The most annoying effects are the ones in my day to day life this bad sleep is creating: bad mood, headaches, hard to focus at work, etc. I've already had to skip a few days of training to get some decent sleep and be able to ride at full steam the following day.

Just yesterday I had a 87 Km ride in the morning, and slept perfectly fine for 8,5 hours at night, this happens only with late rides.

Any advice on how to get better sleep after training late?

Posted: Jul 9, 2024 at 19:22 Quote
We don’t know what we don’t know


You can get a free trial with a whoop to take the guessing out of it

Learn what sleep stages are, and what proper sleeping habits will lead to amazing restorative sleep


Eating or exercising three hours before sleep will rarely yield restorative sleep stages

Both activities are raising your heart rate and forcing your body to work while you are wanting to go to sleep, hitting the brakes and throttle at the same time essentially

https://www.join.whoop.com/en-US/oneplusone/?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAA97RlnFwuPkGV_1CLpYIeTVtp1kDe&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv7O0BhDwARIsAC0sjWOJSVCn3krek73o5MSWZboTgruti0Wl_KcuDCF3TEVWmR_u30sC6R0aAuwJEALw_wcB


There are other devices, however in my experience a Garmin or whoop are optimum for athletes

Posted: Jul 9, 2024 at 19:24 Quote
A solid hack is to perform a body scan meditation or something similar right before bed to get your heart rate down and nervous system balanced after exercising. Avoid bright lights/screens before bed if you can

Posted: Jul 9, 2024 at 22:25 Quote
8hrs is a myth, you get the sleep your body needs especialy the older you get less sleep is required.
I used to stress aboot not getting me 8hrs aaaand that was keeping me up! stopped stressing a starting sleeping better.

Posted: Jul 10, 2024 at 8:09 Quote
I'm not a training coach or a professional, but from my experience, training too lately (like ending a training at 10h00PM ) is definitely bad for my sleep, especially at the end of the week. There is no way for me to avoid it. Also, another 2 cent advise, but have you consider the possibility that you are overtraining? Anyway, If you have the possibility to switch some of your evening training with a morning or lunch training, I think it would be definitely better for your sleep. At least, it works better for me this way: about 2-3 training a week at lunch time and 2-3 training a week in the evening.

Posted: Jul 10, 2024 at 19:24 Quote
naptime wrote:
8hrs is a myth, you get the sleep your body needs especialy the older you get less sleep is required.
I used to stress aboot not getting me 8hrs aaaand that was keeping me up! stopped stressing a starting sleeping better.


It’s true, the tech can teach you

Posted: Jul 10, 2024 at 19:30 Quote
I come from a high-performance motorsports background and I 100% love having gauges when I’m riding my bike as hard as I want to, to build endurance without sacrificing recovery.

Really getting to know your body


it’s true you don’t need eight hours, I’ve had amazing recoveries with 5 to 6 hours of high quality sleep

Posted: Jul 10, 2024 at 19:32 Quote
If you’re stressed out at work, get sick, have the best day ever or lost your dog, it would all affect how you sleep and stress on the nervous system. You can journal and really dial things in. At the end of the day, everything is energy

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006093
Mobile Version of Website