Sponsorship insight for all you lazy kids.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Sponsorship insight for all you lazy kids.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:06 Quote
Well, Im 15 years old.
Ive noticed ALLOT of kids my age who want to be better then everyone else by being arse holes.
I agree that for the sport to advance, we need competitions and events and what not.
Allot of kids dream to be in those events. They think its all about being better then everyone.
Its not. Downhill or whatever it may be is a sport of fun! You ride to be with your friends and do something you like while taking some fresh air. You learn new skills. You fall (not because of the bike, not because of the rock, but because you are learning). You laugh at yourself when you fall. You laugh at your friends when they fall and you help them get back up!
Whats also fun is when you meet new friends!!!

When you look at the pro riders, they do competition but to have fun and to show the skills that they learned. The do competition because they are proud of the gift they have and want to share it to the world and maybe inspire other people to bike. Their is no rivalry between the pro's. They talk to each other, they laugh and have a good time.

Its not wether yu win or loose, its how you play the game.
People need to get this into their tiny little skulls and understand it. GEEZE, is it that hard... apparently, Yes.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:22 Quote
whitetux wrote:
i think possibly another reason why kids want to get sponsored is so they actually get to ride more instead of working there asses off to replace broken parts (ME).

^^^ Point proven. If you want to be dominant in this sport you have to work your ass off.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:24 Quote
lucky-7 wrote:
Well, Im 15 years old.
Ive noticed ALLOT of kids my age who want to be better then everyone else by being arse holes.
I agree that for the sport to advance, we need competitions and events and what not.
Allot of kids dream to be in those events. They think its all about being better then everyone.
Its not. Downhill or whatever it may be is a sport of fun! You ride to be with your friends and do something you like while taking some fresh air. You learn new skills. You fall (not because of the bike, not because of the rock, but because you are learning). You laugh at yourself when you fall. You laugh at your friends when they fall and you help them get back up!
Whats also fun is when you meet new friends!!!

When you look at the pro riders, they do competition but to have fun and to show the skills that they learned. The do competition because they are proud of the gift they have and want to share it to the world and maybe inspire other people to bike. Their is no rivalry between the pro's. They talk to each other, they laugh and have a good time.

Its not wether yu win or loose, its how you play the game.
People need to get this into their tiny little skulls and understand it. GEEZE, is it that hard... apparently, Yes.

Please read the article I linked to before posting. You completely missed the point of this thread. It IS about winning.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:27 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
whitetux wrote:
i think possibly another reason why kids want to get sponsored is so they actually get to ride more instead of working there asses off to replace broken parts (ME).

^^^ Point proven. If you want to be dominant in this sport you have to work your ass off.
yup...to bad, think ill quit biking now...obviously joking Rolleyes ...

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:28 Quote
hahaleon wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
whitetux wrote:

What?

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:33 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
hahaleon wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

What?
it so hard to get sponsored that i might as well give up now. ...JK

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
hahaleon wrote:

Actually it's too easy. That's the point of the article I linked to.

EVERYONE: IF YOU ARE UNWILLING TO READ THE ARTICLE I LINKED TO THEN DO NOT POST IN THIS TOPIC

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:39 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
hahaleon wrote:

EVERYONE: IF YOU ARE UNWILLING TO READ THE ARTICLE I LINKED TO THEN DO NOT POST IN THIS TOPIC
a sponsorship by your LBS dose not count im talking like big, huge, mega, sponsorships when you could survive on money from biking alone. like cam and sam hill

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:40 Quote
Read the damn article.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:42 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Read the damn article.
i did im just saying, it was supposed to be a light joke Emo

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:45 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
hahaleon wrote:

hahaha, reading is for n00bs.

I think the best setup I saw, some team out of the south had junior and senior riders.

The Senior riders got "Dollars" for mentoring/coaching the junior riders. These dollars could be spent at the shop that sponsored the team. Then when junior riders won races or placed within the goals the team set they got "Dollars" which could be spent at the shop. I really liked that idea.

Like I earlier stated, we don't revoke our riders sponsorship if they have a shitty season. We will however pull it faster than you slamming your laptop with your hand down your pants and you mom walks in, if the riders are not portraying sportsman like conduct. The guys we sponsor don't have the best bikes, and they only get deals and labor. We don't fly/drive them to races unlike a certain shop here in Calgary.

I would like to see a stronger showing from North America in the World Cup. But in this day and age of kids raised with instant gratification just around the corner, it will be a long struggle.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:47 Quote
bonfire wrote:
The Senior riders got "Dollars" for mentoring/coaching the junior riders. These dollars could be spent at the shop that sponsored the team. Then when junior riders won races or placed within the goals the team set they got "Dollars" which could be spent at the shop. I really liked that idea.

Good system.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 16:58 Quote
Oops. I saw the thread, read the first page, saw the article but then forgot about clicking the link after reading 3/4 of the posts Redface

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 17:02 Quote
I used to think id get sponsored, but now, I dont really care, just like to ride.
I see lots of kids who are all like " Oh, im gunna get sponsored cus i can shred these gnar trails fast and can huck that massive drop" and when really they go moche zero on the trails, and there massive drop is off a 5 foot stair set to flat.... not mentioning any names

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 17:06 Quote
Well im 15 and this is my first year racing Downhill. It really pisses me off when other people call me spoiled, a grom, and other names like that because I have nice bikes. My parents have not paid for any of my three bikes. I paid 100% for the bikes, all the upgraded parts and when stuff broke. Of course working at a shop helps alot, but I worked my ass off at shitty jobs for almost a year before I bought my first bike. My parents are pretty good about rides and try to support me by bringing me out to the hill as much as they are free to do so I can practice because I can't drive yet. This summer they actually planned our family vacation around me and my brother going to blue mountain and boyne mountain to go biking. We grabbed the camper and drove to these places, they camped and did some fun activities while me and my brother went biking.

I spent countless hours this year riding, fixing the trails and racing locally. I raced Xc to stay in shape for the Dh. By the end of the season I won the city championships in the middle category, beating out a bunch of racers who have been racing for a few years. When our Giant rep came into work I asked him what they offer for sponsorships for people my age. He said well we used to sponsor kids for good race results, but since then with all of the talent out there we really look for people who are going to be good ambassadors for the sport, who race or can ride well, and people who promote their products. Basically you need to have a good attitude and be willing to help your sport progress along with being able to ride, but being able to ride is starting to become less of a priority at my age.

Most of the people I ride with have a pretty good attitude about riding, and aren't usually d-bags. I always try to go riding with other people, trying to get them interested in our sport. I also try to support younger kids who are getting into the sport so they will continue riding and racing. I saw alot of kids when I went to Blue mountain who has a really shitty attitude. They thought they were hot shit because they rode there every day, and had really nice bikes. Yet when I talked about them to my instructor they are always like yeah, I have ridden with him before and he always talks shit, but your twice the rider that they are. People like that just take away from the sport. People should always try and be supportive and welcoming to new people, either riding where you do or getting into the sport.

Thats my 2 cents

Josh

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009396
Mobile Version of Website