an xc bike with double crowns?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
an xc bike with double crowns?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 8:39 Quote
jmacd wrote:
dude, the lefty isent even classified as a dual crown, its half a dual crown yes, but, its half on one, and its not even an XC fork, its a AM fork.

There are 2 crowns on the lefts, but it technically isn't a "fork" because it's one sided. But, where do you draw the line between XC and AM? You can ride XC on a Pike which is technically an AM fork. Most people who own Lefty forks use them for XC.

Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 22:28 Quote
I consider my 575 with a Maveric DUC an XC bike since I race it in Semi-Pro XC races and it's the lightest bike I own. I agree that by today's definitions though XC means no more than 4" travel and my bike is called an all-mountain.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 5:08 Quote
[Quote="vinceliberatore

There are 2 crowns on the lefts, but it technically isn't a "fork" because it's one sided. But, where do you draw the line between XC and AM? You can ride XC on a Pike which is technically an AM fork. Most people who own Lefty forks use them for XC.[/Quote]
My line between XC and AM is the amount of travle somethin has, somethin that is 125mm and higher i would consider as an AM fork.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 11:34 Quote
1998 Rock Shox SID's used to have a 100mm dual crown for XC, but they flew like a Led Zeppelin and never lasted past the first year.

The Lefty is a Strut,not a fork. Like the landing gear on an airplane. (See it now?) It needs the dual crowns to work.

I haven't seen a Girvin since 1998 when Pro Flex became K2.

So, being a weight weenie myself, I would think DC's are more for FR/AM, cause I wouldn't go heavier than a Talas 36 on my bikes. I stick with the SID WC and the Manitou Minute for XC races, and a Float 32 RLC for training.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 11:48 Quote
ibisrox wrote:
1998 Rock Shox SID's used to have a 100mm dual crown for XC, but they flew like a Led Zeppelin and never lasted past the first year.

The Lefty is a Strut,not a fork. Like the landing gear on an airplane. (See it now?) It needs the dual crowns to work.

I haven't seen a Girvin since 1998 when Pro Flex became K2.

So, being a weight weenie myself, I would think DC's are more for FR/AM, cause I wouldn't go heavier than a Talas 36 on my bikes. I stick with the SID WC and the Manitou Minute for XC races, and a Float 32 RLC for training.

I forgot about those dual crown SIDs. Remember the Judy XL? I tried putting one on my "dirt jumper" back in '02. Can you say "best idea ever?"

Those Pro Flex/Girvin forks had the most bizarre ride feel I have ever experienced. Burly as hell though. Most of them are still functioning. Dual crown does seem a little pointless for XC. I loved my Lefty but it would be hard to say that it was any better than its equivalent in normal fork terms. I enjoyed the novelty and the ability to change flats 30 seconds faster by not having to take off the front wheel.

I think that the fact dual crowns are disappearing on freeride bikes really says something about the future of the type on anything beyond DH race.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 4:21 Quote
I know of a few XC bikes that have dual crowns. Theyre all custom too so people choose to have them on. I think it really depends on how hard you ride (and also that balance of XC vs AM), but really unless youre a gram counter i dont think it makes all that much difference. Having said that however, if youre a racer you want to shed every gram you can, cos the second you start flogging it, you really do know about it.

Like a lot of things in riding, i think it has a lot to do with personal preference.

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 19:35 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
-allan- wrote:
No XC bikes have Dual-Crowns...some long-travel Am bikes do though. Completely different.

Maverick DUC
Proflex Vector
Lefty
Girvin
lol dude who still rides girvin or proflex

Posted: May 25, 2008 at 5:41 Quote
mtb-crzd47 wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
-allan- wrote:
No XC bikes have Dual-Crowns...some long-travel Am bikes do though. Completely different.

Maverick DUC
Proflex Vector
Lefty
Girvin

My mate. He has a flex stem on his other bike too....

Posted: May 25, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
mtb-crzd47 wrote:
theoutpost wrote:

Maverick DUC
Proflex Vector
Lefty
Girvin

My mate. He has a flex stem on his other bike too....
lol nice im likin the retro. how does it ride?

Posted: May 25, 2008 at 12:18 Quote
Rides nice, he has the coils so its lasted him, I'm a bit of a retro xc rider too so thats probably why I like it lol!

Posted: May 26, 2008 at 21:24 Quote
norco-six wrote:
is this an xc bike? its got double drowns but a long stem?

photo

i just thought she deserved to be on each page of this thread. i don't know what a double drown is, but as for the long stem...lofl.
i did hear that the enduro is a well thought out bike, but its funny to hear about girvins and pro flex's again.

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 14:48 Quote
[Quote="proxx"]what about specialized enduro with it's custom double crown fork? i know it's called enduro not xc, but still it's more xc than freeride.
Quote]

Wtf r u on? It's obviously an all mountain bike - very different from XC.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019409
Mobile Version of Website