2008 Devinci Ollie, Good beginer Bike?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
2008 Devinci Ollie, Good beginer Bike?
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 at 12:39 Quote
The 2008 Ollie is a very different bike to previous Ollie model years - for example last season ( 2007 ) the Ollie was available in 2 model versions

the Ollie 1 with Super T forks, and the Ollie 2 with 888RC forks

both of these models were substantially more expensive with better equipment than the current 2008 Ollie, and had more suspension travel at both ends

the 08 Ollie is designed as an entry level freeride bike, and is actually very good value if you don't have alot of $$ to blow on a new bike

the frame itself, although offering less travel than previous Ollie's, is still made in Devinci Quebec factory and still has the true 4-bar, Horst pivot frame that will give excellent control on rough ground, and remain active under pedalling and braking, with a full length seatpost its also not going to be too bad for pedalling up hill

weight wise its certaintly alot lighter than previous Ollie models, some of this is due to the frame (they dumped the 1.5" headtube for a regular 1.125") and some of the weight saving is from the lighter (i.e. not as heavy duty) equipment bolted to the frame

the Ollie would make a good base to upgrade onto, as you get more $$$, the frame has lifetime warranty so its worth investing in a better rear shock and fork when you can...and watch out for things like the cranks because they are prone to early failure

the Frantik series is certaintly a better freeride platform, but costs more $$$

here's my old Ollie (2005) in action

photo

Posted: Apr 21, 2008 at 14:22 Quote
so its would be an ok slopestyle bike then?

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
I would look around more the toptube is pretty high and 7 inches of travel is way too much for that kind of stuff like rabbit hill.

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 at 5:03 Quote
if you want a good value budget, mid travel freeride bike then the Ollie would be fine, its similar to something like a Big Hit 1

you could certaintly go dirt jumping on it, or use it in Whistler in the Boneyard, its not going to be as nimble as a true slopestyle suspension bike (i.e. 4-5" travel) but the Ollie would be a good "all rounder"...and a great base to use, to progress your riding

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 19:37 Quote
how would it work for starting out DH?

Posted: Jan 23, 2014 at 11:47 Quote
I have recently bought one of these (2008i think) i had raced and ridden bmx for a fair few years, rode my dads full sus commencal, bought one of these, and is proper good fpr starting, although i havent been to any proper DH trails yet im looking forward to hitting some as this thing flies!!!! Its a blast of a bike and i can imagine its going to be a great bike to progress on.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013396
Mobile Version of Website