29'er info & discussion.

PB Forum :: 29ers
29'er info & discussion.
Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 18:49 Quote
GravityCandy wrote:
Snowed here today but that didn't stop me haha.
First snowy ride of the year.
(Sorry for the nasty mobile pic)

Only downside to the ride today was traction. Any tire recommendations? Looking for something that can handle mud and maybe ice. Also on another note, riding this on the local trails has improved my riding on my other bike a lot. I've noticed I've been setting way better times and riding better overall.

Maxxis shorty.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 5:44 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
GravityCandy wrote:

Only downside to the ride today was traction. Any tire recommendations? Looking for something that can handle mud and maybe ice. Also on another note, riding this on the local trails has improved my riding on my other bike a lot. I've noticed I've been setting way better times and riding better overall.

Maxxis shorty.

I slapped a Hans Dampf on the front of my Rootdown and so far I haven't noticed one instance where the tire let go in the greasy clay & leaf conditions we have here in my neck of the woods. I'm not the most aggressive rider, but even those who are seem to swear by these. The trailstar compound is quite soft, which makes it good on the front. Not the fastest tire, but not a beast.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 6:12 Quote
JesseE wrote:
VTwintips wrote:
GravityCandy wrote:

Maxxis shorty.

I slapped a Hans Dampf on the front of my Rootdown and so far I haven't noticed one instance where the tire let go in the greasy clay & leaf conditions we have here in my neck of the woods. I'm not the most aggressive rider, but even those who are seem to swear by these. The trailstar compound is quite soft, which makes it good on the front. Not the fastest tire, but not a beast.

JesseE, How are you liking your Rootdown? I am looking to make the switch back to a hardtail and that frame is top on my list. I have concerns about the climbing ability with a 140mm fork and the slack angles. Thoughts or comparisons to other 29er bikes you have ridden?

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 6:27 Quote
[Quote="bkchef2000"][Quote="JesseE"][Quote="VTwintips"]

The Rootdown has been treating me very well. I worried about the 140mm fork too, but after reading so many good reviews I went for it. I was riding a UNIT with a 100mm fork, which gave it about a 69degree head angle, while the Rootdown comes in at 68 with a 140mm, which really isn't that slack. I'd say the rootdown climbs equally if not better than the UNIT even though the UNIT is more in the XC side of things. And it definitely goes down hills better than the UNIT with a 140mm pike on the front. It's a great bike. If you go for one get in touch with the guys at Chromag for sizing. I'm 5'11 and ride a large with a 65mm stem and it fits great. If I was doing more serious descending I might even shorten the stem. This review is very accurate to my experience: http://www.bikemag.com/gear/chromag-rootdown-review-dual-tester/

Lastly, I saw the catalogue from the Chromag distributor and it looks like the 2016 will have more tire clearance and shorter stays as well as all the boost spacing going on so that is something to keep in mind. they dont' really update their site well, so it's still the 2015 spec. Which, by the way, does NOT have ISCG tabs if that's what your looking for.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 6:32 Quote
[Quote="JesseE"][Quote="bkchef2000"][Quote="JesseE"]

If I can't get a 2015, I won't be buying it. I am planning on doing a full parts swap with items from my covert to a Rootdown. I am not worried about the ISCG tabs, that is not a big deal to me, I can easily go without. Being 6'7" I know the XL will be good, the plan is to run a 50mm stem. I love the simplicity and clean look of the Chromag bikes, the only other frame that is like that to me is the Transition TransAM.... and they aren't going to Boost!

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 7:01 Quote
[Quote="bkchef2000"][Quote="JesseE"][Quote="bkchef2000"][Quote="JesseE"]

6'7! You need a 36er!

The chromag site still shows the 2015 spec, so get ordering. Either bike you choose will be fun, but I have to say I'm partial to chromag. Also, I think the chainstays are even shorter on the Transition, which I'm not sure I'd want, but seems to be the trend in these bikes. The rootdown is pretty balanced, even with the tall front fork & wheel. I'd worry shorter stays would mean more wheelies on steep climbs.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2015 at 15:44 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
Is it possible to cross chain on a single ring set up?
Smallest you'll get on the middle is 30th, unless you go direct mount.
Sick ride, bit jealous!
Yeah, by def. cross-chaining is little to big, in his case it is possible due to the mounting position of his ring.
But without seeing it and looking at the chain line, and me in this case only being internet expert, I'd trust his mechanic-as he's the guy who has to deal with potential issues.

Looks like my baby ring set up was too good to be true. While change line wasn't all that bad, the two small cogs on the cassette (mechanic's theory) see to have not been able to handle both the chainline and bonus torque from the small ring up front, and have worn out prematurely after about 800km. Front ring is not looking brand new either. Bit sad as I loved the tidyness and cheapness of it all, but as the old Macedonian saying goes "Poor man buys twice" and it looks like I'll be getting a new Praxxis 11x40T cassette and putting back my 30T ring on the middle. I put a lot of road time in to get to and from the trail, which I didn't really appreciate till I had this set up.

Guess I'm just too much man for this set up Razz

Mod
Posted: Nov 20, 2015 at 5:22 Quote
JesseE wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
Is it possible to cross chain on a single ring set up?
Smallest you'll get on the middle is 30th, unless you go direct mount.
Sick ride, bit jealous!
Yeah, by def. cross-chaining is little to big, in his case it is possible due to the mounting position of his ring.
But without seeing it and looking at the chain line, and me in this case only being internet expert, I'd trust his mechanic-as he's the guy who has to deal with potential issues.

Looks like my baby ring set up was too good to be true. While change line wasn't all that bad, the two small cogs on the cassette (mechanic's theory) see to have not been able to handle both the chainline and bonus torque from the small ring up front, and have worn out prematurely after about 800km. Front ring is not looking brand new either. Bit sad as I loved the tidyness and cheapness of it all, but as the old Macedonian saying goes "Poor man buys twice" and it looks like I'll be getting a new Praxxis 11x40T cassette and putting back my 30T ring on the middle. I put a lot of road time in to get to and from the trail, which I didn't really appreciate till I had this set up.

Too bad, good luck with the new set up.

Commuting to trails kills my tires... living in PHX, I ride to dirt/sand all the time and my rear tire always wears extremely fast...

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2015 at 7:04 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
JesseE wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:

Commuting to trails kills my tires... living in PHX, I ride to dirt/sand all the time and my rear tire always wears extremely fast...

Thanks. I ran a 30T 104BCD ring up front and a traditional cassette for years without trouble, so I'm confident.

My schwalbes definitely don't like my road time. I had a fat bike for a while and pushing that thing up a slow pavement incline was punishing.

Mod
Posted: Nov 20, 2015 at 9:11 Quote
JesseE wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:
JesseE wrote:

Thanks. I ran a 30T 104BCD ring up front and a traditional cassette for years without trouble, so I'm confident.

My schwalbes definitely don't like my road time. I had a fat bike for a while and pushing that thing up a slow pavement incline was punishing.
ha, that would suck.

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 at 19:00 Quote
Hi,
I just purchased a used hardrock disk for my winter commuting http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/hardrock/hardrock-disc-29#geometry

Because it will be only to commute in the city and in winter, I want to change the suspension for a rigid fork.
When I check the geo, I see that I need a fork length (axel to crown) of 494mm with an offset of 45mm,
494mm seems impossible to find for a hard fork, and I know that the suspension compresses anyway so the real length is not 494.

I found the Krampus fork from surly that has 483mm and has 47mm which seems close enough for me.
http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downloads/Surly_Fork_Info.pdf

Does anybody has recommandation for forks for me? and would a 465mm A-C fork would be suitable for me?

thanks!

Posted: Dec 3, 2015 at 20:30 Quote
capitaineob wrote:
Hi,
I just purchased a used hardrock disk for my winter commuting http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/hardrock/hardrock-disc-29#geometry

Because it will be only to commute in the city and in winter, I want to change the suspension for a rigid fork.
When I check the geo, I see that I need a fork length (axel to crown) of 494mm with an offset of 45mm,
494mm seems impossible to find for a hard fork, and I know that the suspension compresses anyway so the real length is not 494.

I found the Krampus fork from surly that has 483mm and has 47mm which seems close enough for me.

Does anybody has recommandation for forks for me? and would a 465mm A-C fork would be suitable for me?

thanks!

The Krampus fork seems perfect for your application.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2015 at 6:37 Quote
capitaineob wrote:
Hi,

thanks!

Do you plan on using Fenders? I've run surly forks on commuters and you need to figure out some extensions if you wanna use more traditional fenders.

I've converted many mtbs to commuters and my last bike I put on a shorter fork and actually liked it. Having a steeper head angle isn't a terrible thing in traffic as you're weaving more. You could look into a Karate monkey fork or a Kona P2 which is coming off a UNIT. I think they corrected for 100mm and 80mm forks respectively.

Posted: Dec 4, 2015 at 14:11 Quote
yes I plan to use fenders, but I have in mind the PLANET BIKE CASCADIA II 29ER FENDERS
So I thought they would be the right size = no need for extensions?

thanks

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2015 at 13:01 Quote
Not sure about those fenders, but most fenders are not built to be put of suspension corrected forks (long) so you might need a trip to the hardware store

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.044149
Mobile Version of Website