juicy three's

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
juicy three's
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 18:37 Quote
hey i just got a new bike and the front brake seems busted.
lik there is alot of friction on it and it virtually doesnt move.
they are 2007 juicy three's on a specialized p all mtn.
i dont understand why its lik this?
i mean common one day??
please help me
thanks
tom~

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 18:52 Quote
please help
im lost.... and confused and sad that this happend to my new bike

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 18:54 Quote
you mean the pads are rubbing on the rotors when the wheels spin?

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 18:55 Quote
ya they are rubbing alot.

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 18:56 Quote
well if you have taken off your wheels and put them back in sometimes that messes mine up. if you havent rode and they did that when they left the shop you should have them fix it but i would take it into your shop if you dont know what your doing. also get them to show you

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 19:02 Quote
ok that makes sense bc at the shop b4 i left he took off the front wheel quickly and put it back on. i did about 2 hours worth of biking (street nothin intense) and i realized that there was some noise coming from the brakes lik a rubbing noise. i took it in my shop at home and took off the wheel and then when i tried it again, it virtually didnt move.
what can i do about it?
thanks,
tom~

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 19:15 Quote
Ok.

Juicy 3's are kind of a pain becuase of the lack of a pad adjust, and some of them take forever to get right. First of all make sure that you wheel is in straight. Make sure the axel is pushed all the way up in the dropouts with 9mm. If you have a Thru-axel, that's not really an issue.

Whatever you do, DO NOT squeeze the lever with the wheel out. If you do, you're SOL unless you get lucky. Because you just bought it, I'm assuming you have a period of free maintenence, any decent LBS offers one. Just take it in, explain the problem and they should be able to perform an easy fix. The only downside is that now is the busiest time of year for repairs. So it might be a while. Unless your LBS has a 24 hour turn around.

Or you could try an easy fix at home. Make sure the wheel is in the bike. Loosen off the bolts that clamp the caliper just enough so the caliper moves back and forth a little. Grab the lever and hold it down while you tighten the bolts again. Theoretically this should work, but Juicy 3's somethimes just hate you.

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 19:18 Quote
ok thanks
ill bring it to the LBS store were i bought it.
he said that i have one year of free coverage with them Big Grin

so ill do that and hopefully it works.
it's my first bike wit hydraulic brakes and it the first brake i dont understand one bit.

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 3:50 Quote
going to have to agree with the other guy juicy 3's can be troublesome. on the plus side you can research how they work now so you have more knowledge on bike parts. good luck

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 4:15 Quote
reomve the front wheel, then remove your brake pads and ease the caliper pistons back into the caliper with a 10mm ring spanner then refit pads and wheel should sort the problem

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 4:54 Quote
toontownrider wrote:
Ok.

Juicy 3's are kind of a pain becuase of the lack of a pad adjust, and some of them take forever to get right. First of all make sure that you wheel is in straight. Make sure the axel is pushed all the way up in the dropouts with 9mm. If you have a Thru-axel, that's not really an issue.

Whatever you do, DO NOT squeeze the lever with the wheel out. If you do, you're SOL unless you get lucky. Because you just bought it, I'm assuming you have a period of free maintenence, any decent LBS offers one.

LOL. That is so funny. I got new Juicy 3's on Friday. When new, there is a plastic spacer that holds the pads apart. The first thing I did was pull the spacer out and squeeze the lever. Dick.

The problem was easily solved tho. The guy in the bike shop took a screw driver and slowly eased it in between the pads pushing the piston back. If you do this take great care not to destroy the pads.

On a positive note. The juicy 3's are 1000000 times better than the Hayes Sole that i had before. They offer great consistency and feel which the Hayes do NOT do.

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 4:55 Quote
hey what i ended up doing is loosening slitely the attcahement to the fork. like the bolts that attach the calipers to the fork. i felt that they were chocked and were rubbing. after a little loosening they started working again.
is that ok??
thanks
tom~

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 6:43 Quote
toontownrider wrote:
Ok.

Or you could try an easy fix at home. Make sure the wheel is in the bike. Loosen off the bolts that clamp the caliper just enough so the caliper moves back and forth a little. Grab the lever and hold it down while you tighten the bolts again. Theoretically this should work, but Juicy 3's somethimes just hate you.

The bolts that you want to loosen are the ones that hold the caliper to the adapter. Make sure that you squeeze the levers hard while you tighten the bolts back in. Use a bunch of elastics to squeeze the lever hard if you are alone or get someone to help you. This should put the caliper in proper alignment with the rotor and stop the rubbing. This is the only way to adjust juicy 3's...

I needed a wider adapter to get my Juicy 3 on my 66. My LBS didn't have one so I put a few washers in between the adapter and the fork leg. I tightened the bolts as described and it works perfectly... (Even though the adapter is not coming straight out of my fork)

If need be, I can take a vid taking it off and puttin it back on for you...

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 6:47 Quote
ok i think i get it
can u please post a video of you adjusting the juicy three's?
and just to make one thing sure, can you loosen the bolts that hold the calipers to the fork? because i think that is what cause my prob..

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 7:08 Quote
What kind of fork do you have?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010617
Mobile Version of Website