Saddles for women

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Saddles for women
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 11:46 Quote
Just did my first ride of the season and I'm hurting. I definatly need a more comfortable saddle. Any suggestions on one that will support the child-baring hips?

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 12:05 Quote
Have a look at the specialized body geometry saddles.

Mod
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 15:08 Quote
Women specific saddles aren’t really all that different compared to men’s saddles. You just have to do your homework and some research before hand. What makes a women’s specific saddle different than their male counterparts’ saddle is that they are somewhat wider (this excess width is negligible at best, maybe 10 extra millimeters towards the back of the saddle), have somewhat of a shorter nose and normally, a cushier or softer feeling in the middle of the saddle. However, you can find wider and comfier non-women specific saddles at a fraction of the cost. All you have to do is find a saddle that is wider at the rear and tapered at the front with not such a long or hard nose portion. The cutout that is present on most women specific saddles is there because it helps to alleviate extra pressure but a soft saddle will act in the same way.

To sum it all up, look for a saddle that's slightly wider at the back, has a shorter nose and soft padding but you really can’t go wrong with a women’s specific saddle if you have money to spend. Just compare the size of women specific saddles to the other saddles to figure out how "large" the differences are.

As for manufacturers that make excellent saddles that are comfortable look at SDG, Fizik, WTB, Selle Italia (also make women’s specific saddles), Specialized (women’s specific saddles). There are probably some others out there that are just as comfortable but I haven’t tried them yet so I wouldn’t know.

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 15:10 Quote
What saddle do you have now laurie?

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 15:16 Quote
if you would substitute weight and your pride for comfort take a look at this; Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/images/uploads/news/moonseat.jpgyou can find the review -here-

p.s im sorry if you find this a useless plug in! but someday it had to be shown to pinkbike...

Mod
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 15:31 Quote
Seats are preferential so what feels comfortable to one person might not be to another person. For racing, I used one of the lightest seats I could find which was a 125gram Selle Italia SLR Carbon but if you aren't super concerned about weight, there is a wide variety of saddles in the $50-$100 range that offer excellent comfort. The super expensive saddles are either woman’s specific which are specialized and take more effort to make or are very light using titanium rails and carbon construction. I think all the manufacturers that I listed above make good seats. As to narrow it down, I would look at the:

WTB: Rocket V or Pure V (good value for what you get)
Selle Italia: C2 Series, Flite Series (Expensive but worth every penny $100-$150+)
SDG: Bel-Air (good value for what you get)
Fizik: Vitesse HP (pricey but good. Should retail for about the $100 range but other Fizik saddles you should be prepared to spend $120+)

All of these seats I recommended I would personally ride. I used an SDG Bel-Air RL when I just wanted to have fun.

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 at 11:34 Quote
I did have a stock specialized saddle but then i upgraded to a Henge SL . Would probably be good for a woman but i dont know. Personal preference is good , try some out .

I went with the henge because of its sleek look and its lightweight design , carbon fiber shell with hollow titanium rails

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009856
Mobile Version of Website