Whats The Best Mountain Bike Park In The U. S.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Whats The Best Mountain Bike Park In The U. S.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 at 15:09 Quote
ok my computer is being hella slow can someone post a google map of where windrock is in tennesee. i know its in oakridge.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 7:05 Quote
Well I gotta throw in Keystone Bike Park in Keystone, CO. Also Winter Park and Sol Vista are really close too, and also a lot of fun!!!

But when Keystone's up and running they have some of the most fun trails in the US IMO, and prolly one of the nasiest rock gardens ever!

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 11:56 Quote
DavidMakalaster

I'll Admit I've never ridden at windrock, but you still have not answered foxmtbing's question directly. Have you ridden at Diablo Free Ride park?

If so what is the criteria matrix your using for comparison. I'm sure many people would like to know what is listed in it. You seem to be more biased towards a "homely" riding location. Nobody's opposed to that, however if you have ridden at diablo (for your sake, I'm assuming you have) You would most likely have noticed quite a few differences. Many more people than you consider these differences to be a qualifying factor to be considered "better". And I'm sorry, if you consider events such as the U.S. Open "fluffing" or w/e than you prolly have no interest in progressing our sport towards the mainstream, and in turn creating a more profitable market all around, allowing more money to go to the pro's, more money towards R&D, more sponsor money towards new riding locations and cheaper prices to the average joe.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 12:33 Quote
mobilechernobyl wrote:
DavidMakalaster

I'll Admit I've never ridden at windrock, but you still have not answered foxmtbing's question directly. Have you ridden at Diablo Free Ride park?

If so what is the criteria matrix your using for comparison. I'm sure many people would like to know what is listed in it. You seem to be more biased towards a "homely" riding location. Nobody's opposed to that, however if you have ridden at diablo (for your sake, I'm assuming you have) You would most likely have noticed quite a few differences. Many more people than you consider these differences to be a qualifying factor to be considered "better". And I'm sorry, if you consider events such as the U.S. Open "fluffing" or w/e than you prolly have no interest in progressing our sport towards the mainstream, and in turn creating a more profitable market all around, allowing more money to go to the pro's, more money towards R&D, more sponsor money towards new riding locations and cheaper prices to the average joe.

He never asked me. He just assumed I hadn't been there. In all fairness it's been 2 years now since I've been up there but I'm pretty well apprised of what's going on there.

All I'm basing it on is which place has better, steeper, taller, more tech trails. Anyone that's been to both wouldn't argue that point. Like I said earlier it's easily as tech as anything on lower whistler, a lot of the norcal trails, and some of the more tech stuff in Colorado. I do prefer a less busy friendlier trail network with less goofballs slowing you down if that's what you mean by homely. I'm not the one drawing generalizations based on nothing here. If the younger generation wants to be lazy and only ride places with a lift then fine. All that means is the better trails have less traffic. You're absolutely right. I don't have any interest in "progressing" the sport towards mainstream. I don't want it to turn into another crowded sellout sport like so many before it. I like mountain biking the way it is. Sorry I ever brought it up.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 21:08 Quote
Ha its cool man, just trying to see what all the fuss was about.

I agree the younger generation of riders seems to be... almost lazier than that before them, but that is the general progression of the american populous. I myself am a generation up from the "youngest" and either ride and shuttle, or work on local trails we have been "blessed" with here in Reading, PA every weekend, and sometimes during the week when i can get off work.

Mainstreams not as bad as you think, and having your attitude towards it has killed more sports than its helped. One i was involved in was streetluge, dont hear much about that anymore do ya? they only hold 1 large public race a year anymore in the US and entrance fees are attrocious due to liability and limited help. that and just finding a place to compete is hard without all the support it once had from the X-games and Gravity Games. Support the sport to the fullest man!

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 5:02 Quote
im not lazy, its just playin hike a bike by myself on the trails that i built by myself, while riding by myself get tiring after a while. its nice to go somewhere where everyone rides, i dont have to haul up my bike all day(saves more energy), and much more fun technical features than i have on my or others trails.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 5:14 Quote
and no, im not into that mainstream shit either, hell i think that has somewhat to do with why i got into mountain biking, but on the other hand events like the us open are really only mainstream in the bikers world, not to the average person. think about it, they got all that freestyle bmx and skateboarding and shit on mtv and what not. i hope it never gets to that point.shit, then were all screwed!

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 5:15 Quote
slopestyle is getting there though, still cool.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 7:01 Quote
diablow stinks....platty has far better trails...yes diablow has a fulltime "crew" that maintains their rail trails and the uber groomed dh trails, but platty's trails are far better. snowshoe and mt snow is better than diablow too.
if you have a Sunday though, go to Diablo, everyone else does

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 7:30 Quote
Highland Mountain Bike Park is very up and coming, just wait a few years and I'm sure we will all hear more about it, its gonna be one of those golden gems to ride at. can't wait!

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 7:53 Quote
yeah highland is getting bigger and bigger every year they just had a great writeup in Decline (may issue). If your in the Northeast I would def recommend checking it out. Smutok has def made one of the best dj parks in the country and trails are all wicked fun. They also have a very dedicated trail staff

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:11 Quote
from what i saw highland is the shit, any place that has dirt jumping is good too. im just not tryin to drive 5-6 hours with the gas prices

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:19 Quote
i hear ya i only line 40 min away from highland and i complain about gas

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:48 Quote
bmxracer62 wrote:
im not lazy, its just playin hike a bike by myself on the trails that i built by myself, while riding by myself get tiring after a while. its nice to go somewhere where everyone rides, i dont have to haul up my bike all day(saves more energy), and much more fun technical features than i have on my or others trails.

There is a big group running shuttles with a trailer there all the time. You don't have to haul your bike up. Just throw a few bucks to the driver and you're set.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018175
Mobile Version of Website