race face diabolus seatpost, why bother?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
race face diabolus seatpost, why bother?
Mod
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:54 Quote
Juicy 7 is $229.99 Canadian.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:54 Quote
dg85 wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:
Ok quick price check to see what diffrence is.
A jucie 7 2008 is 110 quid with a 8 inch rotor what is that going to be in US/Canada

well the British £ is roughly £1=$2

I know but im wondering if the parts are cheaper although surley we get Hope cheaper?

Should propably make a new thread this is getting of topic.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:57 Quote
juicy 7 203mm are $138.50 usd

http://speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=129379&cat=26&brand=16

this is why i mostly order from the states

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 14:06 Quote
like pipes said earlier we are getting shafted.

6foes pedals canadian 250,here 180 pounds.

Mod
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 14:09 Quote
6Foes's are more than that in Canada. I haven't found a shop that sells their stuff yet but they cost more in the US so I will assume they are more up north. They sell for $265US for the ti ones. The good thing about small companies such as Twenty6 is that you can buy directly from them.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Hmm. Was just reading through this for lack of anything else to do and now have 2 questions.
1. All i every use my seat for is siting on when im not riding and just talking or something, riding to trails and when my bike breaks so i can just freewheel back down again so my seatpost never takes any stress because im always out of the saddle stamping on the peddals so why do you break them?
2. Come on is the weight diffrence of a seat poast really going to be worth that much money because when you look at it like i do its 100 quid for a few seconds which i could get with a better night sleep or better diet?

Not trying to provoke argument just wondering.
the weight of a saddle/seatpost has huge affects on a bike. When you turn into a turn/berm, you pivot your bike about the point of contact with the ground. So multiply this distance from the ground to the C.O.G. of seatpost and saddle with the weight and you'll see where i'm coming from. A seatpost is dead weight you have to move from side to side on your bike the whole down the track, the lighter it is, the more nimble your bike is in the turns.

Mod
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 14:28 Quote
I have to agree that race face and axiom stuff in that $30 TO $60 range aren't that good. Those are the seatposts that always break on me (snapping my seat off on hard hits and such). It's those $10 to $15 no name ones that I can't break no matter how hard I try....I'm hard on parts (2 cracked/snapped frames etc...) yet i can't break a $12 seatpost - and I have ran several different ones of that no name price range. They probably way a tonne and a half.. but I can't justify spending more than $70ish on a seatpost no matter how pimped out my bike is... and since it seems most are crap in that range... I go for the $15 one that never breaks.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 15:04 Quote
Ive never had a seat post break on me, so ive never been worried about it. I dont actually sit on my seat enough to even consider my seat post breaking. I guess it really depends on what kind of riding you want to do, i could see it happening more often where you actually use your seat post, such as cross country. If you just plan on slamming your seat within an inch of the clamp (like i do) i would not worry about an expensive seat post. I spent 60 dollars on mine something from Pazazz, to be honest im not even sure which model because when i bough it i was just looking for something to fit my frame and thats the cheapest one they had. Never had any problems though, so im happy.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
theweapon52 wrote:
Ive never had a seat post break on me, so ive never been worried about it. I dont actually sit on my seat enough to even consider my seat post breaking. I guess it really depends on what kind of riding you want to do, i could see it happening more often where you actually use your seat post, such as cross country. If you just plan on slamming your seat within an inch of the clamp (like i do) i would not worry about an expensive seat post. I spent 60 dollars on mine something from Pazazz, to be honest im not even sure which model because when i bough it i was just looking for something to fit my frame and thats the cheapest one they had. Never had any problems though, so im happy.

um, I can't see anyone breaking a seat or a seatpost on cross country riding unless they have a truly mega-fat ass or something. I think the only way to break a saddle or a post would be a botched landing after a jump or a drop, or maybe a crash with the bike going end over end, and a lot of force being suddenly applied to the side of the post....

anyways, I guess I see everyones point. When it comes to the racing scene, the reasons for choosing the uber expensive seatpost are obvious. but for the other 90%+ people out there, I personally think that the 80 bucks doesn't even begin to justify however many grams you lose in weight. Overall, I still think that a lot of people in the bike market are getting shafted.

Mod
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 13:34 Quote
cross country eh? I stripped a seat right off it's rails in a race... it's not that uncommon. All it takes is a weird crash and a stressed part. Nothing lasts forever.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 13:48 Quote
You could just drill out a bog standard seatpost.

I drilled out my fsa seatpost, and still after 6+ months of racing its not snapped, cracked or fractred yet. I've never snapped a seatpost in my life, and I doub't that my current, probably insanely fragile post is going to snap anytime soon! haha

And my actual reason for doing it?....not cause im a weight freak, plainly because I was bored Smile

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 14:47 Quote
terriflow3-0 wrote:
cross country eh? I stripped a seat right off it's rails in a race... it's not that uncommon. All it takes is a weird crash and a stressed part. Nothing lasts forever.

thats fair, ive personally never seen it happen in a dh race. The reason i suspected cross country is that ive seen people cut the post to save weight and then not keep enough post in the seat tube. All of a sudden they are cursing the brand of seat post they bought because it bent, big surprise. I see a few weekend warriors do the same and they too are stunned that it the post bent, so i am well aware that its not uncommon for posts to bend i just didnt think it happened racing dh because most of the seat posts i see only have an inch exposed out of the seat tube.

Mod
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 14:52 Quote
I was replying to the guy who said that for XC right above me Razz .... dhers seem to be nicer to their seatposts.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 15:00 Quote
haha gotcha, my bad.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 15:03 Quote
why did you just mention raceface.

also if there's a market then companies are gonna make them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.139420
Mobile Version of Website