Hollowtech II Issue

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hollowtech II Issue
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
So I went to install my new Hone cranks on my STP only to realize that the spindle is too short to fit the cranks, necessary spacers and my e13 LG-1. Any ideas to fix this problem (longer spindle maybe, if it's even replaceable)? Or are new cranks in my future? If so, any ideas on some other lightweight cranks for FR-preferably not ones with an integrated spindle!

O+
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:24 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
So I went to install my new Hone cranks on my STP only to realize that the spindle is too short to fit the cranks, necessary spacers and my e13 LG-1. Any ideas to fix this problem (longer spindle maybe, if it's even replaceable)? Or are new cranks in my future? If so, any ideas on some other lightweight cranks for FR-preferably not ones with an integrated spindle!

Shitty- I have no idea what to do if you wanna keep that chainguide! Sorry, dude!

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:25 Quote
my friend had a problem with that on his demo. Just play around with the spacing you should get it eventually. If you bb is a 73mm shell try 2 bb spacers on the drive side and zero on the left side. than put the right amount of spacers for the chain guide. it should work well.

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:25 Quote
I'll have problems with any guide I use because the STP comes without ISCG tabs, so I'm using an adapter.

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
Dremel the adapter so it's thinner? How much too short is it?

than use 1 bb spacer and the lg 1 adapter. than use the fine tune spacers for the chain guide spacing with the cranks. there the really small spacers that go behind the chain guide and adapter so you can adjust your chain line.

foxmtbing wrote:
my friend had a problem with that on his demo. Just play around with the spacing you should get it eventually. If you bb is a 73mm shell try 2 bb spacers on the drive side and zero on the left side. than put the right amount of spacers for the chain guide. it should work well.

Tried and failed.

sherbet wrote:
Dremel the adapter so it's thinner? How much too short is it?

My guess is probably 3-5mm to short.

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:28 Quote
Wait... Spindle? I thought hones were outboard

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:29 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
foxmtbing wrote:

Tried and failed.

than only use the adapter with no BB spacers. And again, adjust your chain guide with the fine tuning e13 spacers....

trust me it its possible.

Hmmm, I'd say try to dremel the adapter, within reason, so it might fit.

AqueousBeef wrote:

Yeah, but the drive side crank has a spindle attached to it that runs through the bb.

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:30 Quote
All you need with the BB mount chainguide is one spacer on the non drive side and none on the drive side.

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:31 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:
than only use the adapter with no BB spacers. And again, adjust your chain guide with the fine tuning e13 spacers....

trust me it its possible.

I believe it is, but I was trying to not grind down my new $200 cranks.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 18:32 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
You still need a spindle! What're the C arms gonna attach to?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007808
Mobile Version of Website