Crank/ BB problem. Help quick please

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Crank/ BB problem. Help quick please
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 11:54 Quote
Hi guys

I need to get a rank arm of a friends bike but just taking the main crank bolt doesnt seem to work, I'm presuming I need a crank puller/extractor. I don't have one of these and the LBS is shut at this time.

Any way I can get it off without using a crank puller?

Posted: May 22, 2008 at 16:15 Quote
hammer and block of wood.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 16:17 Quote
If you want to, take some wood and knock it against the arm from different angles, possible causing it to move and loosen slightly. Also try putting something like Tri-Flow in there.

Posted: May 22, 2008 at 17:58 Quote
Is the BB a taper lock or a splined model? If it is taper lock you may not be able to get it off without the puller as they are pressed on there a lot harder and typically should not have any grease on them when installed.

Posted: May 22, 2008 at 18:00 Quote
WD-40, block of wood and a hammer.

Posted: May 22, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
put a screw driver in the grany holes hit each one with a hammer it will be off in no time.

O+ FL
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 19:15 Quote
Well it depends if you want your BB you could try hammering but you're likely to damage the BB. If you have a pully-puller you could try that or you can "ride them loose if you do you take a huge chance of rounding your spindle.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 6:18 Quote
i just bought a crank puller as i couldn't get the rank with wood/hammer.

I have screwed the tool into the thread on the crank, I have screwed the nut in that pushes against the BB but I it now seems as if I have to use a huge amount of force to keep turning it, I'm scared something might break, should i just keep screwing the nut in?

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 6:19 Quote
sometimes the pusher bit that you screw in catches on something,try threading it and out a couple of times,but yeah it will take some force.

also grease the threads of the remover.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 6:19 Quote
id just try hammering it with a leather or rubber mallet, or block of wood

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 6:32 Quote
I think I totally f**ked this up. I'v just tried taking the tool out of the crank arm to start over again, and it wont come out, I do believe its now not sttin in the threads right, doesnt help that the crank arm is bent so it looks funny anyway.

Any ideas or have I just totally mashed my friends bike?

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 7:00 Quote
My mates crank arm is POS

Got tool out, greased it, tried again it just stripped threads out of the crank arm.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 7:37 Quote
Yeah that didn't quite go as planned, ach well the crank was bent anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Taking the tool out greasing everything and starting again DID start to work, suppose it was just a crappy crank.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 7:40 Quote
my friends rpm cranks did the same put the tool in started cranking it and it pulled all the threads out,oh well there stuck on now.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009843
Mobile Version of Website