High Gas Prices

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
High Gas Prices
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 at 20:18 Quote
When do you think enough is enough and you will stop driving your car?

Posted: Jun 15, 2008 at 20:59 Quote
i dont think gas prices will ever stop people from driving their car no matter how high they get. Most cities are built around the concept of have a car for getting from one place to another... Especially in north america. It might get people to start driving less but like i said i dont think people will really stop.

However having said that i havent driven my ranger in a week because i need this tank to last me for alittle while.

Mod
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 at 21:00 Quote
When gas hits $10 a gallon, that is when I will consider trading in my 13MPG SUV. Otherwise, I have no intensions on driving less or downsizing.

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 0:11 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
When gas hits $10 a gallon, that is when I will consider trading in my 13MPG SUV. Otherwise, I have no intensions on driving less or downsizing.

The problem with an suv is that the higher gas prices go, the lower the value your suv will get. Sell before it's too late and you get next to nothing for your ride.

I have an audi 1.8T, it's ok on gas but I have to fill with 94 only so it is pricey in the end. I'm thinking of selling it for a jetta TDI. over 1200 kms to the tank

Mod
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 0:23 Quote
Kbone wrote:
The problem with an suv is that the higher gas prices go, the lower the value your suv will get. Sell before it's too late and you get next to nothing for your ride.

The people that have the SUVs we have don't exactly care about gas prices. I mean people driving $100,000+ SUVs aren't too concerned about rising gas prices. Obviously, if they have the money to purchase Range Rovers, Porsche Cayenne Turbos, ML 63AMG, BMW X5 4.8 and all the other high horsepower and expensive luxury SUVs, $4+ a gallon and $1.50+ a liter fuel aren't really of concern. I mean the gas guzzler tax on engines that are inefficient is essentially useless. If you can afford the car or SUV with the high output engine, gas is just a secondary factor or the "cost of business"/driving a car of that caliber. The only people that are really losing out are those who drive the more "affordable" SUVs. People who drive the European/Japanese SUVs (Lexus, Infiniti) couldn't care less about gas prices. Therefore, the resale value of these cars is relatively high and unaffected by the rising fuel costs. Sure, there might not be as many people looking for luxury SUVs but for the most part, I know we wouldn't have an issue selling a gas guzzler out of our fleet.

I am currently looking for a new car. I’m thinking something along the lines of a G35, Audi A4 3.2, or Lexus IS 350. All of which take premium fuel and don’t exactly have the smallest or most fuel efficient engines in them.

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 0:54 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Kbone wrote:

The people that have the SUVs we have don't exactly care about gas prices. I mean people driving $100,000+ SUVs aren't too concerned about rising gas prices. Obviously, if they have the money to purchase Range Rovers, Porsche Cayenne Turbos, ML 63AMG, BMW X5 4.8 and all the other high horsepower and expensive luxury SUVs, $4+ a gallon and $1.50+ a liter fuel aren't really of concern. I mean the gas guzzler tax on engines that are inefficient is essentially useless. If you can afford the car or SUV with the high output engine, gas is just a secondary factor or the "cost of business"/driving a car of that caliber. The only people that are really losing out are those who drive the more "affordable" SUVs. People who drive the European/Japanese SUVs (Lexus, Infiniti) couldn't care less about gas prices. Therefore, the resale value of these cars is relatively high and unaffected by the rising fuel costs. Sure, there might not be as many people looking for luxury SUVs but for the most part, I know we wouldn't have an issue selling a gas guzzler out of our fleet.

I am currently looking for a new car. I’m thinking something along the lines of a G35, Audi A4 3.2, or Lexus IS 350. All of which take premium fuel and don’t exactly have the smallest or most fuel efficient engines in them.

That's true, I didn't realise until now you have an AMG. I agree with you though, my girlfriend just bought an escalade and she could care less about gas prices. It doesn't bother me either I'm just all for keeping emissions down. But then again I'm running a 94 octane programmer with no cat and aftermarket turbo haha.

This is a bit off topic but I'm really into euro cars. You should consider the audi S4 or BMW 335i. I've had experience with both, owned an s4 and the 335i is amazing. I6 bi-turbo.

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 1:16 Quote
What i dont understand here is why you guys almost sounds proud of owning vehicles that have brought gas prices so high in the first place. Im not really one to talk, as i do own a truck (although small) but i use it as a truck should be used. Why buy a huge SUV that has no off-roading capabilities that sucks back so much gas they wont even give you an estimated milage in the window sticker, and then drive it to go get your groceries.

Dont get me wrong or anything, i like fast cars and big trucks, but when theyre used for what they were designed. To me its kinda like buying a v10 and then riding it to work downtown on paved roads. It just does not make sense to me when i see these jacked up F-350s Ram 3500's etc... rolling down the street to go to McDonalds. What do you use these things for?

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 7:57 Quote
Laurie what are you driving that gets 13mpg, thats pretty bad? And to the guy above me, agreed, many people buy large SUVs that don't need them, I mean look at the hummer H2, I can't even recall the number of times I've driven by one and seen it packed full of like seven asians.....??

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 9:21 Quote
It sucks because my SUV is paid off, and as much as I want a car to make gas less I keep telling myself there is no reason to buy a car because even with gas this high the cost of fuel is still less than a monthly car payment.

These gas prices are really murdering alot of the trips im used to taking during the summer because all of my friends are still on college budgets or working part time in a bike shop.

Mod
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 9:27 Quote
calgaryrider wrote:
Laurie what are you driving that gets 13mpg, thats pretty bad?

A Range Rover HSE gets 13MPG and I think that the Escalade hovers around that too. A lot of the larger SUVs thst have a V8 and 400+ HP get shit for fuel economy.

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
u wanna be over the seas lads it's £1.20+ a liter

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
calgaryrider wrote:
Laurie what are you driving that gets 13mpg, thats pretty bad?

A Range Rover HSE gets 13MPG and I think that the Escalade hovers around that too. A lot of the larger SUVs thst have a V8 and 400+ HP get shit for fuel economy.

Im still clueless as to why you would need a 400 HP SUV. Where in calgary are you going to use something like that, Senseless buy to me im sure that SUV is worth around 90 Large new and for what?

Mod
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 11:10 Quote
theweapon52 wrote:
Im still clueless as to why you would need a 400 HP SUV. Where in calgary are you going to use something like that, Senseless buy to me im sure that SUV is worth around 90 Large new and for what?

Some people like the pizzazz/umf of a sports car but require the towing capacity and people carrying ability of an SUV. Therefore, there is a growing niche/market for vehicles that can do this.

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 11:13 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
theweapon52 wrote:

Some people like the pizzazz/umf of a sports car but require the towing capacity and people carrying ability of an SUV. Therefore, there is a growing niche/market for vehicles that can do this.

I never knew, seems like your kinda crossing a road bike with a DH bike to me. Whatever turns your crank though.

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 17:23 Quote
About the only full size SUV I'd ever drive would be a ford excursion, cause you can get it with the powerstroke under the hood. A nice turbo back exhaust, air intake, and some tuning/gauges and your hp goes up but the mpg is still good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019747
Mobile Version of Website