The "Do it yourself" thread.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The "Do it yourself" thread.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 6:58 Quote
Okay as bike lover, i'm try doing the most i can on my bike without taking it to my lbs. I know the lbs would do it maybe better quicker, but sometimes you learn then you do it much easier after that.

Only thing i'll need done by my lbs soon is getting a BB installed on my new hucker frame soon and maybe get a chain installed to and bleed my front brake.

Other than that i try to do everything myself in order to get knowledge and its much more fun to do it yourself!

When work is needed on you bike, do you do it yourself? If so, what do you do yourself on your bike?

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 7:02 Quote
I do everything on my bike from changing tubes to tubeless to bleeding brakes to packing my hub, The only things i cant do is change my freehub and service my fork's.

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 7:04 Quote
i try to do everything that i know of on my bike. Recently, i upgraded the deraleur, chain, cassette, shifter, and chain guide + bash. I do pretty much everything.

its not to hard and if i cant do it, i getmyfriend to help sence he works at a bike shop.

I haven't been to my LBS for a repair in over a year

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 7:12 Quote
Yeah i don't want to bleed my brakes because its long and eff screw that lol, but the only thing i won't be able to do is the BB. Soon i'll be removing my headset to put it on my hucker, i don't have the proper tools but i'll be doing it the gettho way =) and try to be very carefull.

I know on a chain theres always a part of the chain that holds the chain together, like that you can remove to open the chai and remove it, though i can't seem to find that piece.

I've changed about 1 million tubes, changed rims, put my hydraulic disc brakes, change fork, change stem, ajust my derailleur etc. But bleeding my hayes i don't feel like doing it... not with that gay hayes bleeding kit lol.

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 7:14 Quote
i built my entire bike, but my greatest accomplishment was replacing a blown seal while the dampner was still in the assembly, and while it was still on my bike.

1) I scewed out the top cap on the RC2 side
2) I removed the top cap buy taking out the c-clip, washer, and seal. slide the top cap out and placed it aside
3) unbolted the stanchion, and slide it out.
4) Unscrewed the pusher from the preload pin to allow the spring to move up and down, allowing it to get out of the way when time to remove the seal.
5) slide spring up the dampner assembly
6) Removed old seals with a screw driver, and slide them over the dampner and spring assembly and discarded them
7) Used dentist tools to remove the stop ring, then a screw driver for the "lower seal" or inner seal.
replaced the inner seal with a new one, pressed it in with my fingers.
9) Replaced the stop ring using dentest tools once again.
10) Slide the dust seal from the top of the stanchion down to the middle, then inserted stanchion back into the lowers.
11) Pressed seal in with my fingers
12) since the dampner was in the way, i slide a peice of pcv pipe, with a larger diameter of the stanchions over the stanchions untill it reached the dust seal. tapped with hand, wrench, hammer, what ever you feel, to press the seal into place.
13) re-assembled everything

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 7:44 Quote
I do all the work on my bike. I always kinda laugh at the people that say "the only thing i cant do is the bb"

usually if you say that, theres alot more things you cant do on a bike.

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 7:47 Quote
i do everything there is to thing of on my bike but thats cause i work at a store haha

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 7:57 Quote
i do everything and all except the labor stuff like, truing a wheel, i have NO time for that so i let the LBS do it.

other then that, i rebuild from one frame to another all the time.

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
knobzy wrote:
i do everything and all except the labor stuff like, truing a wheel, i have NO time for that so i let the LBS do it.

other then that, i rebuild from one frame to another all the time.
truing wheels takes like 2 minutes

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 8:11 Quote
prety much everything, except i never bled brakes

love building wheels and servicing forks

want to build a frame next

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 8:26 Quote
so how do you biuld and true wheels cuz i would like to lern

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 8:33 Quote
joshizzle wrote:
so how do you biuld and true wheels cuz i would like to lern
well truing is easy depending on which side the bend is on lefts say its on ur drive side ur either going to losen the spokes on the drive side to pull it to straight or u will tighten the non drive side it all depends on how under or over tensioned ur wheels are, and u only want to turn them quarter turn each time and check and repeat. hard part is getting the tension becuase u need the tool

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 9:06 Quote
Well how can i remove or install bb when i don't have the tool for it. Because last time i checked you need a puller to remove it and i don't want to pay money for a tool i'll never use. But i could try it... Do you really need a puller to remove a bb? Also, you need a 10mm and an 8mm to remove the cranks, but are they special 10mm and 8mm or normal bits that you'll have in a rachet kit?

And as for bleeding brakes... i haven't done it and don't feel like f*ckin everything up. Its long to do and maybe i'll do it later but not now, i don't feel like wasting time and money to have uncorrectly bleeding brake set.

Trueing a wheel isn't hard, but i can become very long and i've done it once or twice but long ago. The thing is i don't work at a bike shop so i need to learn things and mainly i don't have much tools for that so i need to use ghetto tools.

But still, i prefer learning and do it myself so when something needs to be done i don't need to take it to my lbs.

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 9:11 Quote
I build my bikes(wheels included) and have lowered most of the forks I've ridden.

Posted: Jun 30, 2008 at 9:14 Quote
I'll admit it, i'm far from a bike pro like alot of you guys are. I do that as like a hobby a very big hobby lol and i learn how to do the things needed on my bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022702
Mobile Version of Website