Places To ride in Nottingham area

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Places To ride in Nottingham area
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 9:21 Quote
Blackdollorbill wrote:
i used to go to uni in notts.

used to ride bestwood until i got mugged on the way back one time.

hemlock was cool and colwick; do they still have the jump spot at the bottom with the car?

No, that's gone. It was (typically) on a SSSI, so pretty bad news. The run down to it is still there, that's the one i've been working on sporadically for the past 12 years...

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
Nocebo wrote:
Hi,
Due to work/family commitments/lack of finances I packed up riding some years back. After a break of about 8 years my rapidly expanding waistline means I've got to start riding again but I've lost touch with all my old riding buddies. I'm into DH/freeridey/arsing about type stuff, where does everyone from the Notts area ride nowadays? Is it still Hemlock Stone and Bestwood park or is there some new spots?
still some good riding at bestwood mate, still plenty of runs in the woods, you know how you'd go up the top of the quarry up the red path and into the woods up there then down the DH track? They've fenced that off with a big ass fence, but if you go right through the bushes near the sandy bit at the top, you can hop over a little wire fence and get round that way, there's still a load of jumps in the forest and a fair few new DH trails, i know some people that ride them

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 11:58 Quote
sam264 wrote:
Nocebo wrote:
Hi,
Due to work/family commitments/lack of finances I packed up riding some years back. After a break of about 8 years my rapidly expanding waistline means I've got to start riding again but I've lost touch with all my old riding buddies. I'm into DH/freeridey/arsing about type stuff, where does everyone from the Notts area ride nowadays? Is it still Hemlock Stone and Bestwood park or is there some new spots?
still some good riding at bestwood mate, still plenty of runs in the woods, you know how you'd go up the top of the quarry up the red path and into the woods up there then down the DH track? They've fenced that off with a big ass fence, but if you go right through the bushes near the sandy bit at the top, you can hop over a little wire fence and get round that way, there's still a load of jumps in the forest and a fair few new DH trails, i know some people that ride them

Really? I used to ride there all the time! Do you mean the bushes on the right hand side? Isn't that a cabbage field or something?

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 15:50 Quote
badgers43 wrote:
sam264 wrote:
Nocebo wrote:
Hi,

Really? I used to ride there all the time! Do you mean the bushes on the right hand side? Isn't that a cabbage field or something?
I dunno it might be, but there's a dirt track between the field and the quarry, it's just a waist height wire fence to hop over (there are some obvious little paths through), follow the dirt track and you're in, if anything the riding there is better than it was a few years ago. Maybe give me a shout some time if you decide to go down? I'm not that good though, i've really only just got into it properly after having gone down a couple of times a few years ago.

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
Nice one Sam, that's good to know. If you're a regular up there we'll no doubt cross paths very soon, once i've sorted my rig out, just waiting on a few bits and bobs to arrive(namely heavier springs lol) Look out for me, I'll be the fat knacker on a Scott Octane coughing his lungs up at the side of the trail!

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 1:12 Quote
sam264 wrote:
badgers43 wrote:
sam264 wrote:

I dunno it might be, but there's a dirt track between the field and the quarry, it's just a waist height wire fence to hop over (there are some obvious little paths through), follow the dirt track and you're in, if anything the riding there is better than it was a few years ago. Maybe give me a shout some time if you decide to go down? I'm not that good though, i've really only just got into it properly after having gone down a couple of times a few years ago.

Nice one. I'll get over there as soon as time allows, and i'll give you a shout. I used to ride there in about 98-99, on a yellow chameleon. Now I'm on a speccy enduro, but i'm still shit.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 2:20 Quote
good stuff, i might be up there in a couple of saturdays time, once i've got the bearings in my front wheel sorted!

Nocebo, i have a 750lb spring on my patriot that i want shot of for something lighter, could trade if they're the same length etc? Just gotta check the size

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 16:53 Quote
sam264 wrote:
good stuff, i might be up there in a couple of saturdays time, once i've got the bearings in my front wheel sorted!

Nocebo, i have a 750lb spring on my patriot that i want shot of for something lighter, could trade if they're the same length etc? Just gotta check the size

Got a 650lb spring in the post from TF today. Not had chance to test it properly yet but I think it'll be ok, if anything maybe slightly on the too heavy side, could've probably got away with a 600lb. 750lb would defo be too heavy for this bike.

I've now got a couple of Eibach 450lb springs kickin about now. One's 450lb x 2.75", the other's 450lb x 2.0", both silver in colour. If either of them are any good to you give us a shout.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
i think the one on mine currently is 750x2.0, i'll check tomorrow, if you want rid i might be able to give it a good home!
cheers Smile

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 18:48 Quote
sam264 wrote:
i think the one on mine currently is 750x2.0, i'll check tomorrow, if you want rid i might be able to give it a good home!
cheers Smile

Sound. Just noticed you're running Super T Pros on your Patriot, do you know what springs are inside? I've got the same fork and want to swap my soft springs for some firmer ones, think the firmer ones are yellow.

Edit: Just realised yours are Junior Ts, pretty sure the springs are the same length though

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 19:09 Quote
yep, junior t's, only just gotten them though and i've not taken them apart yet so i dunno. Not even ridden the suckers yet!

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 21:43 Quote
Yeah same here, not had my Super Ts even a week yet, they feel buttery but I'm yet to try them out properly as I'm waiting on a front brake to arrive from some slow-ass ebay seller.

Posted: Jul 4, 2009 at 9:07 Quote
hey people, just thought I'd try to get this thread goin again. Is there anyone who would like to start building some decent trails? I mean, get together at a spot (somewhere new/steep/in some woods or hills) and start from scratch. I'm sick of just browsing pinkbike and seeing the trails that some people have built whick look fantastic.

When I say "trails" I mean freeride/light DH stuff. Drops, North shore, gaps etc.

So...anyone interested? Would be great to gather a small army together!

James

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2009 at 9:54 Quote
bobmij7 wrote:
hey people, just thought I'd try to get this thread goin again. Is there anyone who would like to start building some decent trails? I mean, get together at a spot (somewhere new/steep/in some woods or hills) and start from scratch. I'm sick of just browsing pinkbike and seeing the trails that some people have built whick look fantastic.

When I say "trails" I mean freeride/light DH stuff. Drops, North shore, gaps etc.

So...anyone interested? Would be great to gather a small army together!

James
where are you thinking? i'd love to get some good north shore going, i can't drive so can't really get wood around etc but i can put in the man hours Wink

Posted: Jul 4, 2009 at 10:09 Quote
well, I can't drive but my mate can. So most of the time Ill be able to drive to places so long as they are local (Which would be the whole point of the spot).

The idea is to get a load of people together and create a DECENT riding spot.

Where abouts are you located? I'm in Chellaston (South Derby).

Basically, I reckon the most ideal spot would have to be in dense woods, preferably on a steep hill as far away from chavs/estates and angry farmers as possible.

I'm gonna have a long hard think of somewhere to build and any suggestions are FAR more than welcome.

e.g.
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017779
Mobile Version of Website