Nomad bearing lifetime problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Nomad bearing lifetime problems
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
I was just wondering if anybody else goes through bearings on their nomads as quick as it seems I do. First set lasted about 4 months then they developed play so i got them replaced, apparently with some kind of 'pro' set according to the mechanics. they lasted about 5 months.

I'd like to say I only ride xc on it...but i have been known to huck it on a regular basis (nothing much bigger than 5/6 feet and never to proper flat). I also have a Kula Supreme so I'd like to think i'm not too rough on my bike...and 5 months seems quick cos I only ride it maybe once or twice a week.

i don't get them under the lifetime warranty cos i bought it in canada and i live in the UK and quite honestly couldn't be assed with the faffing involved in sending them back.

cheers hope somebody can help!!!!

ps i am not fat

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 2:55 Quote
Is there any grit or dirt in there/is it properly greased?
And do you use a pressure washer or even a strong hose?

Posted: Aug 5, 2008 at 4:53 Quote
all well greased with no dirt or grit and my bike has never seen a pressure washer, the water comes straight off the hill so the pressure is shit on our hose.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 18:36 Quote
You seem to be taking care of your bearings as you should. If you are fed up of changing them get some ceramic bearings, but they will cost you.

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
supposeldy i had the pro kit put in dunno what it means or what it does but they lasted the same amount of time and didnt feel any different. does anyone knwo how long other bearing sets have lasted in nomads?

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 22:55 Quote
with what you are describing you should be getting a year out of them. is it one particular pivot or all of them?

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 at 5:59 Quote
um i think its all of them put i cant work out which one it is now ( i still havn't got it fixed but im not riding it) but usually its the one behind the cranks that goes.

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 at 21:24 Quote
lewdawg wrote:
supposeldy i had the pro kit put in dunno what it means or what it does but they lasted the same amount of time and didnt feel any different. does anyone knwo how long other bearing sets have lasted in nomads?
its just the bearing kit is called a pro pack. dunno why but it has nothing to do with being pro lol. as for your problem i really couldnt tell say as to why they keep going unless they are mabey being installed wrong somehow causing them to wear out faster.

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 at 23:45 Quote
lewdawg wrote:
um i think its all of them put i cant work out which one it is now ( i still havn't got it fixed but im not riding it) but usually its the one behind the cranks that goes.

im not to sure then. one of my buddies has a 2007nomad with the original kit. sorry bro i dont know what to say.

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 at 21:59 Quote
maybe your original brgs were not torqued properly. make sure shop follows teh manuf recommended settings.

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 4:14 Quote
lewdawg wrote:
I was just wondering if anybody else goes through bearings on their nomads as quick as it seems I do. First set lasted about 4 months then they developed play so i got them replaced, apparently with some kind of 'pro' set according to the mechanics. they lasted about 5 months.

I'd like to say I only ride xc on it...but i have been known to huck it on a regular basis (nothing much bigger than 5/6 feet and never to proper flat). I also have a Kula Supreme so I'd like to think i'm not too rough on my bike...and 5 months seems quick cos I only ride it maybe once or twice a week.

i don't get them under the lifetime warranty cos i bought it in canada and i live in the UK and quite honestly couldn't be assed with the faffing involved in sending them back.

cheers hope somebody can help!!!!

ps i am not fat

Do you know what bearings the frame runs, if it runs the 38802 then you can only buy them from enduro or companies that sell them, also the 38802 bearings require special tooling to fit them without damaging them.

Are you able to get the codes or dimensions from the bearings? if they are normal sizes just buy INA/FAG or SKF and weather proof them, if they are custom sizes then you have to pay what ever the company is asking!

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 4:42 Quote
Have you checked out Tech Tuesday #45 - VPP Suspension Bearing Service

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Adjust-the-Pivot-Bearings-on-Any-Santa-Cruz-VPP-Sus.html

It might not be your bearings that are worn, just something out back needing tightening / adjusting slightly - the video has someone from Santa Cruz showing you how to tighten things up properly.

Only take a couple a minutes - worth a try.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018005
Mobile Version of Website