Post your race Bmx!

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Post your race Bmx!
Posted: May 10, 2013 at 4:41 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
that is something to note as well.

mighty easy gearing you are wanting to run as well. either you can spin REALLY QUICK. or have a very tinny track.

54" rollout is industry standard for racers, Nate.

I once ran a 41-17 and killed myself afterwards. Made the switch back to 39-17 and was in awe because it was quicker.

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 6:02 Quote
Track is pretty big actually. Around 1500' but it's all built on flat ground. Lots of items to build speed but there is certainly a LOT of pedaling. My rollout right now with the 33/14 is 55.16". 32/14 would put me at 54.5" which is a little short but I need the help. My endurance and flow through the track is decent and I'm usually catching guys in front of me but the gate and 1st straight is my downfall right now. I'm not maxing out RPMs anywhere on the track so I'm thinking if I drop the gear down a bit it should help my gate and front straight (even if it's only minimal) but shouldn't hurt top speed.

I've heard that smaller gears will wear faster too since the chain has to wrap around it faster. It's not like it'll be wearing out ever couple weeks though.......

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 6:21 Quote
yellowfox wrote:
Track is pretty big actually. Around 1500' but it's all built on flat ground. Lots of items to build speed but there is certainly a LOT of pedaling. My rollout right now with the 33/14 is 55.16". 32/14 would put me at 54.5" which is a little short but I need the help. My endurance and flow through the track is decent and I'm usually catching guys in front of me but the gate and 1st straight is my downfall right now. I'm not maxing out RPMs anywhere on the track so I'm thinking if I drop the gear down a bit it should help my gate and front straight (even if it's only minimal) but shouldn't hurt top speed.

I've heard that smaller gears will wear faster too since the chain has to wrap around it faster. It's not like it'll be wearing out ever couple weeks though.......

You don't have to look after wearing out your gear. It will happen anyway, and the difference is not that much compared to the period you're running your stuff.

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 13:50 Quote
yellowfox wrote:
gate and 1st straight is my downfall right now.

Definitely try staying over the front of your bike for your first 4-5 pedal strokes. It puts the max power and gets spin up, then after that 4th pedal start moving rearwards to get your spin up to speed.

Weird tactic I know, but it's going to help your pedaling efficiency alot.

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 13:50 Quote
yellowfox wrote:
gate and 1st straight is my downfall right now.

Definitely try staying over the front of your bike for your first 4-5 pedal strokes. It puts the max power and gets spin up, then after that 4th pedal start moving rearwards to get your spin up to speed.

Weird tactic I know, but it's going to help your pedaling efficiency alot.

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 14:16 Quote
technical question: i can manual some of the bigger bumps, but on the really small ones (can't jump them tough) i hit the second bump with my front wheel, before i can straighten my legs to get my front wheel up. on the bigger ones i can just lean back a bit, suck the jump up on the back wheel and straighten my legs after the first bump and my front wheel goes up... but on the smaller ones it does not work...

is my technique false? should i try to lean back more or just "jump" a bit more to be a bit higher in body positioning?

thx

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 14:55 Quote
I would say practicing manualing it at a slower speed and then gradually build up to your fastest. Also jump it though and then see which feels fastest/better for you.

Anyone else just watch the time trial? Personally I was a bit disappointed at Phillips but fair play to Fields Big Grin

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 15:23 Quote
murer wrote:
technical question: i can manual some of the bigger bumps, but on the really small ones (can't jump them tough) i hit the second bump with my front wheel, before i can straighten my legs to get my front wheel up. on the bigger ones i can just lean back a bit, suck the jump up on the back wheel and straighten my legs after the first bump and my front wheel goes up... but on the smaller ones it does not work...

is my technique false? should i try to lean back more or just "jump" a bit more to be a bit higher in body positioning?

thx

Sounds like you're kicking your legs down too late. Lean back more and push earlier and you'll be good.

Also, go to your local empty road and practice manualling long sections of it at a time. It'll give you a good idea of where to be when you're doing it on the track.

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 17:06 Quote
Joebohobo wrote:
I would say practicing manualing it at a slower speed and then gradually build up to your fastest. Also jump it though and then see which feels fastest/better for you.

Anyone else just watch the time trial? Personally I was a bit disappointed at Phillips but fair play to Fields Big Grin

really hated that they pushed every rider towards the crowd to do the handshake... you just can't buy a good time!

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 17:07 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
murer wrote:

thx

Sounds like you're kicking your legs down too late. Lean back more and push earlier and you'll be good.

Also, go to your local empty road and practice manualling long sections of it at a time. It'll give you a good idea of where to be when you're doing it on the track.

k thank you! i'll try it tomorrow

O+
Posted: May 11, 2013 at 16:17 Quote
Finally got around to putting my ghp cruiser back together after giving it a bit of a make over...
Before:
My GHP Cruiser. Bit dirty but you get the idea.
  My GHP Cruiser. Bit dirty, but you get the idea.
After:
photo
photo
photo

Frame - GHP Cruiser
Fork - Answer Scythe
Bars - S&M Race Cruiser 29
Stem - S&M Top Load 57mm
Grips - ODI Ruffian MX 143mm
Headset - Generic
Brakeset - DXR
Seat collar - Crupi
Seat post - Thompson
Seat - SDG TiFly
Cranks - SLX 175mm
Chainring - Elevn
Hubs - Redline
Rims - Envy
Tyres - Tioga Powerblock 1.75'

O+
Posted: May 11, 2013 at 19:23 Quote
mepotts wrote:
I dig that

a lot

cheers. getting the ok to start riding on wednesday (hopefully).. so keen

Posted: May 12, 2013 at 8:21 Quote
hayden4x wrote:
Finally got around to putting my ghp cruiser back together after giving it a bit of a make over...
Before:
My GHP Cruiser. Bit dirty but you get the idea.
  My GHP Cruiser. Bit dirty, but you get the idea.
After:
photo
photo
photo

Frame - GHP Cruiser
Fork - Answer Scythe
Bars - S&M Race Cruiser 29
Stem - S&M Top Load 57mm
Grips - ODI Ruffian MX 143mm
Headset - Generic
Brakeset - DXR
Seat collar - Crupi
Seat post - Thompson
Seat - SDG TiFly
Cranks - SLX 175mm
Chainring - Elevn
Hubs - Redline
Rims - Envy
Tyres - Tioga Powerblock 1.75'

Looks so much better, really nice. What did you use to remove the powder coating? I used gasket remover once and it worked like a charm, but this time I couldn't find the same brand so I haven't started on my cruiser frame yet.

Posted: May 12, 2013 at 18:50 Quote
I rawed my frame a few weeks back, I found that "Aircraft Remover" works but it needs a decent amount of it to work fully

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025975
Mobile Version of Website