Freeride Hardtailing

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Freeride Hardtailing
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 6:09 Quote
What do you guys think about hardtails, pros and cons.
Been riding a FS, thinking of switching to HT for a change, wanted to know if it would be worth it.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 6:33 Quote
ive only had two fs bikes 1st was a cannondale jekyll in 04 and i have a trek session 77. i guess the smooth ride and a bit more rear control over bumps plays into the hands of fs bikes but i love hardtails. they are so much more of an involved ride and lighter i use to have a cannondale furio 800 when i was into xc and liked it lots more than the jekyll. the weight save does help allot on climbs to.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 6:54 Quote
riding a hardtail makes you become a much smoother rider and if you can go fast on a hardtail, you will fly on a fully.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 6:57 Quote
i've been riding a hradtail for 2 years. the hardtail i had this year was pretty bombproof. definetly A nice ride. it'll help you with smoothness. i say go for it.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 14:18 Quote
Yeah I've been riding a hardtail for a long time. Thinking about switching to a full suspension. Anyone have opinions or advice for when to switch to a full suspension?

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 14:29 Quote
I love hardtails. Every good downhiller in the world started on a HT. No question you can go faster on a FS but you can have a hell of a lota fun on a trusty HT. I've only ridden full squish a handfull of times and it seems much more forgiving cos the rear sus helps u out when u get squirly. I personally think HTs are more versatile cos u can ride street, park, trails, xc, DH (slower), DJ, freeride or slopestlye. Thats just my 2 cents...

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 14:38 Quote
i loved riding hardtails in the bush hucking and jumping only issue is the fact that i now have a fully cause of my knees

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 18:38 Quote
Alrighty, thanks, now I am just wondering about your guys' opinions on what HT will survive the abuse.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 18:41 Quote
Look into the Transition Vagrant, Norco Rampage, and the Norco Manik.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 18:47 Quote
Most 'Burly' hardtails will survive the abuse you throw at them. The question isn't really the frame at that point, it's the components. Unlike a fully, where the shock takes most of the impact in the rear, on a hardtail its the wheel that takes the brunt of it all, and then it's transferred to the rear triangle. Now, the rear triangle on most burly hardtails is plenty strong, so you need a stronger wheel to transfer that energy to the frame.

Well, as far as advantages, apart from what everyone else has mentioned, hardtails are just so much more responsive. Try taking a fully and a hardtail down some tight switchbacks, and you'll see what I mean. The hardtail just seems to turn tighter and is much more responsive. Not only is this because there's less play in the frame (no pivots to flex) but the wheelbase is usually shorter too.

Oh, and I ride a Brodie Bruzza, which is a shore hardtail, and so far its taken everything that I've thrown at it, from park to downhill to some light freeriding.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 18:49 Quote
I have freeriding on a hardtail for 3 years. I like it. You can get explosive bursts of speed, really feel what the bike is doing you feel more connected to the trail. I am as fast on my hardtail as my friends with 7 iches in back. I got on a fully one time, and I blew them away:P I was like school was in session.Whip Since I rode a fully I liked it also, so I am switching it up and geting one.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 19:00 Quote
take a look at the Evil Imperial/Soverign and the Sinister DNA
www.evil-bikes.com and www.sinisterbikes.com

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 at 9:09 Quote
I saw a 06 p.3 for 700 the other day, wonderin what the opinion is about the more generic hardtails, and also wondering what travel you guys are running on your hardtails.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 at 10:57 Quote
I'm running 160mm. I would love a Vagrant with a 66RC2X with 180 though.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 at 15:31 Quote
I run 170, my bike is too front heavy though

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010583
Mobile Version of Website