what pikes are you running

PB Forum :: SRAM
what pikes are you running
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
dhpete93 wrote:
4byforsale wrote:
pike single crowns are terrible quality.
And so is your knowledge, Pikes are only made in single crowns and are one of the best all mountain forks for sale, plus a PUSH'd pike will out perform any of the other competitors.
yeah man i said "pike single crowns" like as in the pike forks, that are all single crowns, just like saying "pike forks" except more specific. and pikes are shitty.

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
dhpete93 wrote:
4byforsale wrote:
And so is your knowledge, Pikes are only made in single crowns and are one of the best all mountain forks for sale, plus a PUSH'd pike will out perform any of the other competitors.

what exactly does push'd mean?

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 19:50 Quote
are those the ones with the silver lowers and if so do you like them??
tycalvert wrote:
426 u turn coil.

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 19:52 Quote
kawi wrote:
dhpete93 wrote:
4byforsale wrote:

by Push'd he means when you send it to Push industries to have it serviced and upgraded basically. Does anybody have a Pike for sale by any chance? i have been having bad luck buying one used.

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 19:52 Quote
kawi wrote:
Click.

4byforsale wrote:
yeah man i said "pike single crowns" like as in the pike forks, that are all single crowns, just like saying "pike forks" except more specific. and pikes are shitty.
You need to spend more time on one then, they are far from "shitty".

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 19:54 Quote
Acaptinmom wrote:
are those the ones with the silver lowers and if so do you like them??
tycalvert wrote:
426 u turn coil.
not always mine had black lowers but now i've sold them and upraded to a 454 with silver lowers.

dhpete93 wrote:
kawi wrote:
Click.

4byforsale wrote:

agreed, they are one of the best forks around.

dhpete93 wrote:
kawi wrote:
Click.

4byforsale wrote:
yeah ok maybe your right. maybe really nice ones are good quality but every one ive seen in real life was shitty looking, bad quality, and bottomed out way to damn easy. lets just forget about this it doesnt matter

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 20:01 Quote
4byforsale wrote:
yeah ok maybe your right. maybe really nice ones are good quality but every one ive seen in real life was shitty looking, bad quality, and bottomed out way to damn easy. lets just forget about this it doesnt matter
It does matter since you are passing a far from experienced judgment. Firstly, looks mean nothing. Secondly they are not bad quality. Secondly, there is only one problem with them and that problem spans the whole Rockshox range, the compression adjuster leak can be fixed with a little PTFE tape. Thirdly, the Pike's are easy to bottom out because they are meant for all mountain, like XC you mostly sit down doing this thus there is less weight over the fork to make it soft, you can quite easily fit a firmer spring if you intend to venture from the fork's initial discipline. My pike is set up for DH/FR and is amazingly smooth and keeps me held around corners, has the best small bump control I have ever felt in a fork and can handle big hit's like a 200mm fork. You just need to try one set up right.

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 20:03 Quote
lol, thats funny, i love the look of mine, especially the stanchions. im not really sure whats bad quality about them, if there bottoming out to easy then use your damn head and realize hey, i have flood gate, compression travel adjust and rebound to make these forks working prime, the only reason that it wouldnt be working good is because you didnt put a minute into setting them up properly lol

shit doesn't magically happen with any fork, correct me if im wrong?

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 20:05 Quote
dhpete93 wrote:
4byforsale wrote:
It does matter since you are passing a far from experienced judgment. Firstly, looks mean nothing. Secondly they are not bad quality. Secondly, there is only one problem with them and that problem spans the whole Rockshox range, the compression adjuster leak can be fixed with a little PTFE tape. Thirdly, the Pike's are easy to bottom out because they are meant for all mountain, like XC you mostly sit down doing this thus there is less weight over the fork to make it soft, you can quite easily fit a firmer spring if you intend to venture from the fork's initial discipline. My pike is set up for DH/FR and is amazingly smooth and keeps me held around corners, has the best small bump control I have ever felt in a fork and can handle big hit's like a 200mm fork. You just need to try one set up right.
you make a good point bro. i dont do any xc or anything, i just dirt jump and stuff, so basically i guess i've been seeing pikes in the worng circumstances. kids who dirt jump pikes are just idiots i guess, because they bottom on every jump. i guess pikes arent shitty, theyre just not meant for dj.

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 20:07 Quote
lol i dj with mine, they work better than any other dj fork ive ridden

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 20:07 Quote
4byforsale wrote:
dhpete93 wrote:
4byforsale wrote:
you make a good point bro. i dont do any xc or anything, i just dirt jump and stuff, so basically i guess i've been seeing pikes in the worng circumstances. kids who dirt jump pikes are just idiots i guess, because they bottom on every jump. i guess pikes arent shitty, theyre just not meant for dj.
not necessarily i do dirtjump and street and i find that the pikes work great its probably just how the kids have the fork set up.

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 20:15 Quote
4byforsale wrote:
Not exactly, the DJ riders usually use an air sprung Pike since if the fork is too soft you can just pump it up a little, it's personal preference really, however I love the plushness of my pike and I like the linear stroke the coil version allows. I also do some DJ on my pike but no street, the arch just isn't made to take the sideways strain street will force upon it, if you land a 360 wrong the arch will snap on a pike.

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 20:21 Quote
dhpete93 wrote:
4byforsale wrote:
Not exactly, the DJ riders usually use an air sprung Pike since if the fork is too soft you can just pump it up a little, it's personal preference really, however I love the plushness of my pike and I like the linear stroke the coil version allows. I also do some DJ on my pike but no street, the arch just isn't made to take the sideways strain street will force upon it, if you land a 360 wrong the arch will snap on a pike.
hasn't done yet lol Smile ride em' untill it happens but i love the adjustability of the forks from street riding to downhill it works good for all its a well balanced fork. i know other people who also use pikes for street and they are really hard on there bikes havn't heard of the arch snapping like you say.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010046
Mobile Version of Website