Banshee scythe? (good/bad)

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Banshee scythe? (good/bad)
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 6:01 Quote
Are you considering one ?

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 6:08 Quote
SIDESHOWBOB wrote:
Are you considering one ?

i never say never as you just never know when you need a new fram,daft i know but i like to do plenty of research before hand and i can help other too if need be.

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 at 1:28 Quote
photo
Replaced frame with Scythe
photo

Felt Scythe suited me much better and more comfortable. Not because it runs different shocks and different sizes. Think its more about frame weight cos i did run both on 7" rear, similar BB heigh settings. My old Scream has head angle around 64 and my Scythe around 65. I found that 64 is comfortable for more speed, but i liked 65 more because i find it better for cornering, when the corners are realy tight and steep at lower speed and you fall if loose traction on the front. Scythe allowed me to run lower front end and i liked it much. Ive played re-shimming and re-tuning my old 5th Element (best shock suited me so far) for my taste and i like it more than the DHX5.0 from Fox. One thing to comment on is how the suspension reacts when braking. I did whole weekend riding very long and steep track, which requires realy much braking, so sintered pads are the bad choice.
photo

First of all i have to say that this type of suspension design does not suffer that much brake jack/squat as i hear people say. Trust what you see and what you feel riding. Mostly its comes to tuning their suspension, and most important is braking skills. So if someone says that his VPP/FSR frame is not affected by braking when hitting bumps, i wont believe it. Tried it myself and u can see these also:

FSR vs 4 bar

Hope im gonna get a Legend someday, when im fast enough for it hehe.

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 at 8:27 Quote
You're confusing brake jack and brake squat. Brake jack is when your suspension is put under load because the rotational force in the wheel is being put through the main swingarm. Brake squat, which you get with any bike, is from the suspension extending under brake forces.

FSR has squat, and no jack. Faux bar has both. FSR will outperform faux bar on the braking bumps.

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 at 12:58 Quote
FSR has squat, and no jack. Faux bar has both. FSR will outperform faux bar on the braking bumps.

that is a fair comment Wink

the horst pivot (FSR style) bikes will handle better on braking bumps as the rear wheel is free to track the ground without interference from the braking system

but faux-bars will actually pedal better (especially on smoother terrain like fireroad climbs - back to the top of the trail) as the chain tension pulls the swingarm into the ground, whereas on FSR bikes it causes slight bobbing as your legs move up and down whilst pedalling

this bobbing is more pronounced on Specialized's FSR bikes, than four-bar (horst pivot) bikes from other companies like Ellsworth and Devinci that have a different relationship between the wheel axle and horst pivot (its much more in-line than Specialized which has a noticeable height difference and forward position)

it really comes down to a trade-off between what you are looking for in a bike??

the Banshee Scythe (like the old Scream) is much less noticeable in brake stiffening than shorter travel bikes like the Banshee Wildcard, from my experience riding both these bikes on the same terrain

I've had LOTS of different bikes including faux-bars, FSR four-bars and Virtual pivot bikes in case you are wondering Wink

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 at 13:18 Quote
And because when you pedal tugs your wheel back, you get more pedal feedback when the suspension is also dealing with bumps. Most of the trails I ride on are bumpy, so I like my suspension to be chop free all the time.

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 at 14:16 Quote
well that is something interesting about Banshee, the pedalling is very neutral, you never get any pedal feedback, its due to the position of their swingarm pivot relative to the power take off point (where the chain leaves the chainring)

I've owned 2 Banshee Screams, a Chaparral, Wraith and Wildcard (all faux-bar) and never had any sensations of pedal feedback whilst pedalling, as compared to four-bar bikes I have owned (Specialized Enduro and Big Hit, Devinci Ollie, Devinci Johnson, Devinci Hectik)

but I would agree about the brake stiffening, as compared to a four-bar or VPP bike

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 at 18:17 Quote
I'd also like to ad that FSR does the same thing as faux bar, so there's no advantage. There's chain growth in both.

Posted: Dec 3, 2009 at 8:38 Quote
Im not qualified to speak about pivot placements and the like, but i have owned a banshee scream, scythe, wildcard and now a rune and i can say they pedal really well when compared to other bikes i have tried.
the suspension doesnt seem to hinder the pedaling ability of any of them.
The rune i have at the moment is especialy impresive in both pedal quality and suspension feel.
Everyone who as had a blast on any banshee i have had as said the same and a couple of them now ride a banshee also.

sorry for bad spelling.

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 10:30 Quote
im buying mine on wednesday Big Grin i defenitely reccomend it, you can defenitely feel the difference with the different adjustments,it is such a great bike, i cant wait for mine!!Salute

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 11:58 Quote
i'm thinking of buying a scythe because I can get a really good deal on it but I'm not sure on the geometry. I'm going to be doing mostly dh and some racing, whould it suit me? Is the bb that high? Does it corner well? does anyone know how it handles the rough dh ?

BTW: i'm gonna build it up with a boxxer up front

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028653
Mobile Version of Website