Canada to the Polls

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Canada to the Polls
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 7:30 Quote
Looks like our minority government is about to fold. I don't expect a majority this time either. I expect the Conservatives to pick up a few seats in Quebec, and there is a chance the NDP will take a few seats from the Liberals. How do you think the greens will do? The last poll I saw the Greens had almost 10% popularity.

Mod
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
It's a waste of tax payers' money and if the other parties decide to launch a probe/investigation into the legality surrounding the election since Harper passed a bill for fixed election dates, who knows where this country is heading. Looks like Elections Canada will have their work cutout for them. Shit is going to hit the fan too after all the allegations of the Conservative party transferring money. There also aren't too many new key issues to debate on. I think it is a waste of money and time. I don't think that parliament needs to be dissolved and now this is just going to backup legislation. Also, the by-elections that were supposed to take place are going to be cancelled. I guess that was just a small waste of $3.5 million. Unfortunately, with the federal election, we are wasting $400 million.

Posted: Sep 8, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
I am for it.

I am a harper supporter and would love to see him in a majority situation. He might get one, he might not.

It is very difficult to run a nation, when at the slightest bit of controversy can topple your government. Also it makes it impossible for harper to pass legislation in his party's favour. Instead he has to compromise and settle with what he is allowed to have.

Personally I would rather have more NDP and less liberals. Even though I cannot stand either of them. I just cannot deal Dionne, that man is the epitome of what this nation does not need as a leader.

Posted: Sep 8, 2008 at 15:43 Quote
Yeah I don't get why Harper's doing it that much but I'll accept it as a chance for the partys to further define themselves, and to kill off the weak.

On an idealogical level (not that I define myself by a set mandate but the bit that I agree with the most), I identify with the Liberals, but that party is in no state to lead right now, especially with Dion. So what I want is a minority Conservative government again for a few years, a minority so that it can be defeated if they pull anything particularly stupid. This will get Dion fired as leader and a new leader in power, hopefully someone other then Ignatieff (I don't trust him.)

In a couple weeks I'll take a trip around to the various campaign posts and pick up a platform, if they still give those out in hardcopy (I really hope they do, I prefer to have a hard copy in my hand). I know I can't vote but I love election times, as it's quite exciting, and I can influence my parents into voting the *right* way. So I kinda get 2 votes.

I'm still kinda pissy that he couldn't have waited a year or so... I'd be voting!

oh and for all PB'ers of voting age... go out and vote.

Posted: Sep 8, 2008 at 19:46 Quote
I shall be voting. Dionne is coming to Edmonton I believe this friday I might go to watch, maybe take some photos.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 5:17 Quote
Someone mail me a ballot and I'll vote Harper!

To be honest though... Canada kinda seems like a lost cause when it comes to politics... Never in my years in Canada did I ever think about who got elected... Life just went on... No major changes we're made in life... But I think thats a good thing... Mind you I was young back then... All I knew was that orange was bad Razz

Mod
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 8:53 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
To be honest though... Canada kinda seems like a lost cause when it comes to politics... Never in my years in Canada did I ever think about who got elected... Life just went on... No major changes we're made in life... But I think thats a good thing... Mind you I was young back then... All I knew was that orange was bad Razz

And that is why we have such a high percentage of voter apathy. People look at our government and see that change is inanimate and that it doesn’t matter who is in power and therefore, just don’t take 5 minutes to vote. It’s unfortunate that people abuse their duty as a citizen and one of the best parts of living in a democracy. We can standup and elect someone to lead us towards change! You know that when places like Afghanistan get a greater voter turnout compared to Canada that there are issues.

Here is a question. What percentage of eligible voters will cast a ballot?

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 9:21 Quote
I can't recall ever voting. It really is a matter of complete apathy that keeps me from wasting my time to go vote. No matter who gets in, this charade is going to continue. Theres an election and things run smoothly for a couple months then it deadlocks again. Aside from raising our taxes and helping the rich, the Canadian government hasn't done anything substantial for the working class in my lifetime.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
I can't recall ever voting. It really is a matter of complete apathy that keeps me from wasting my time to go vote. No matter who gets in, this charade is going to continue. Theres an election and things run smoothly for a couple months then it deadlocks again. Aside from raising our taxes and helping the rich, the Canadian government hasn't done anything substantial for the working class in my lifetime.

They hurt the rich and the middle class, this time around.

By changing the laws on Income Trusts. I think that is the only thing I have against Harper. Otherwise I like his party's stand. I also like him. The leader himself is just as important as the policies he brings along. You can't have a leader that makes your nation look retarded. IE Dionne, Chretian.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 14:05 Quote
bonfire wrote:

By changing the laws on Income Trusts. I think that is the only thing I have against Harper. Otherwise I like his party's stand. I also like him. The leader himself is just as important as the policies he brings along. You can't have a leader that makes your nation look retarded. IE Dionne, Chretian.

I'm speaking more of a local level when it comes to their inactivity and how badly its damaged the working class. Locally we've lost over 10, 000 manufacturing jobs in six years and the plant closures are still coming monthly. Their solution to this was to loan $70 000 000 to Ford to reopen a plant and get back 300 jobs. That doesn't seem like smart politics to me. I figure they could've brought back more jobs for that much coin.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 14:25 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
bonfire wrote:

I'm speaking more of a local level when it comes to their inactivity and how badly its damaged the working class. Locally we've lost over 10, 000 manufacturing jobs in six years and the plant closures are still coming monthly. Their solution to this was to loan $70 000 000 to Ford to reopen a plant and get back 300 jobs. That doesn't seem like smart politics to me. I figure they could've brought back more jobs for that much coin.

They could've just paid a those people some money. That's actually one of the dumbest moves I've ever heard made by a politician.

I think Harper's fault is that he pays to much attention to Alberta and the West. This understandable as it's where the money and lots of his voters are coming from, but the heartland, Ontario, is being hit pretty hard from what I can see.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 14:35 Quote
I must correct myself as I got my numbers wrong, it was an $80 000 000 loan to get back 800 jobs. Still that's money that could've been spent to create more offshoot jobs.

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=306120db-b3d3-4cc8-ac3e-ef59b8e65858

Mod
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 14:57 Quote
marty660 wrote:
I think Harper's fault is that he pays to much attention to Alberta and the West.

It's about f*cking time! Look at where all the transfer payments come from and where they go to. Your outlook is outlandish. The west has dealt with alienation for too long because they are small geographically. Ontario has always had the majority of the seats and in order to keep those seats, governments need to appeal to the majority of the population which is centered in Ontario. No one has ever cared about the west. The Liberals were pretty much the worst and that is why Alberta bleeds blue and wins by a landslide. The policies hurt Alberta but make it great for everyone else. Those income trusts that were taxed cost several single owners hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. My phone was ringing off the hook when this was announced.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 15:09 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
marty660 wrote:
I think Harper's fault is that he pays to much attention to Alberta and the West.

It's about f*cking time! Look at where all the transfer payments come from and where they go to. Your outlook is outlandish. The west has dealt with alienation for too long because they are small geographically. Ontario has always had the majority of the seats and in order to keep those seats, governments need to appeal to the majority of the population which is centered in Ontario. No one has ever cared about the west. The Liberals were pretty much the worst and that is why Alberta bleeds blue and wins by a landslide. The policies hurt Alberta but make it great for everyone else. Those income trusts that were taxed cost several single owners hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. My phone was ringing off the hook when this was announced.

Yeah but most the population is in Ontario and Quebec, two provinces out of ten. So the vote goes to them not you guys.
I'm not saying taxing you guys like there's no tommorow is the right thing to do, but neither is making a haven of an oilfield land and allowing entire respectable communites and towns to dissapear in a year or two.

Mod
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 15:18 Quote
The oilfields have always existed. They might have been smaller but they aren't displacing people by excavating and exploring them. Without the west, the rest of Canada would have a ton of issues. Alberta has a shitload of resources in terms of natural gas and oil. We are a resource rich province and we give more than our fair share of revenue to the government. You guys out east are just greedy as hell. Without us, you would be freezing.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022647
Mobile Version of Website