Marzocchi 08 66 RC3 problem

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Marzocchi 08 66 RC3 problem
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 4:12 Quote
Hey there. I have had my 66's for around half a year. And noticed a slight creaking when breaking or just jumping up and down on them. On returning from Morzine though, its got a hell of a lot worse.I've noticed there is alot of play in the stantions too, forward and back instead of up and down! :S
Before i send them back, is there anything i could try? Im new to the whole suspention thing, might be a simple fix.....i hope. Any help would be great! Cheers.

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 8:13 Quote
That's the apparent new trend for Marzocchi. TERRIBLE bushing play. The only fix is to send it in.

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 8:27 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
That's the apparent new trend for Marzocchi. TERRIBLE bushing play. The only fix is to send it in.

This is true. Good luck getting one that works. You need it.

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 8:30 Quote
Chickencruncher wrote:
Hey there. I have had my 66's for around half a year. And noticed a slight creaking when breaking or just jumping up and down on them. On returning from Morzine though, its got a hell of a lot worse.I've noticed there is alot of play in the stantions too, forward and back instead of up and down! :S
Before i send them back, is there anything i could try? Im new to the whole suspention thing, might be a simple fix.....i hope. Any help would be great! Cheers.

yup send them back, i had the same problem with my 07 ones, apparently it was the lowers were incorrectly formed and were replaced. be prepared for a wait tho' (7 weeks for mine) and make sure you fill in windwaves returns sheet (it's on their website).

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 8:32 Quote
Many people have had the same problem over and over again with the new lowers marzocchi gives them. The problem is far from fixed and they claim it's not even a problem. I'd try to get my money back if I were you.

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 8:36 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Many people have had the same problem over and over again with the new lowers marzocchi gives them. The problem is far from fixed and they claim it's not even a problem. I'd try to get my money back if I were you.

Agreed. NEW forks out of the box are bad like yours too, so I wouldn't expect much when some people are getting them back with a note that says the for is "within operational limits".

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 8:39 Quote
The truth is Marzocchi is $63 million dollars in debt and can't afford to give good customer service right now.

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 8:52 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
The truth is Marzocchi is $63 million dollars in debt and can't afford to give good customer service right now.

That might cause a decline in product quality... Rolleyes

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 9:24 Quote
I am told that this 'bushing play' is there because they designed the fork to have no 'break in' period. I was also told that the lowers are not consistent from batch to batch. I have some play and some noise but honestly my biggest complaint would have to be they just feel like crap, too stiff not enough 'liveliness', really low performance imo. Might as well not have preload option, I couldnt imagine trying to ride this fork with any preload on it at all. I am promised a new pair of lowers and a special new bushing grease from Italy and the better oil and some build secrets and that it will run amazing after that. I will report back after I recieve it back from Marzocchi.

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 9:28 Quote
robc wrote:
I am told that this 'bushing play' is there because they designed the fork to have no 'break in' period. I am promised a new pair of lowers and a special new bushing grease from Italy and the better oil and some build secrets and that it will run amazing after that. I will report back after I recieve it back from Marzocchi.

Maybe you misheard them, I think they mean "no breaking period", as in, they come pre-broken lol

Also, did they promise you some seafront property in Arizona and a bridge in Brooklyn along with that "special grease"? Rolleyes

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 9:30 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
Also, did they promise you some seafront property in Arizona and a bridge in Brooklyn along with that "special grease"? Rolleyes

Seriously. There's no secret to making bushings slick. Even RST has this one figured out.

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 9:31 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Seriously. There's no secret to making bushings slick. Even RST has this one figured out.

Who knows, maybe they've got Mario and Luigi cooking up a batch of the special bushing grease out of mushrooms or something. Very confused

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 15:12 Quote
yup send them back, i had the same problem with my 07 ones, apparently it was the lowers were incorrectly formed and were replaced. be prepared for a wait tho' (7 weeks for mine) and make sure you fill in windwaves returns sheet (it's on their website).[/Quote]

Crap, ok, so is it windwave that i send them back to then? Was gonna buy the Totems, kinda wishing i had now. Ak well, .. i will try an see what happens.

Cheers folk for replying, .. and keep the banter flowing.

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
Chickencruncher wrote:
yup send them back, i had the same problem with my 07 ones, apparently it was the lowers were incorrectly formed and were replaced. be prepared for a wait tho' (7 weeks for mine) and make sure you fill in windwaves returns sheet (it's on their website).

Crap, ok, so is it windwave that i send them back to then? Was gonna buy the Totems, kinda wishing i had now. Ak well, .. i will try an see what happens.

Cheers folk for replying, .. and keep the banter flowing.[/Quote]
Luckily its a one-three day turnaround here for Marzocchi products.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013283
Mobile Version of Website