Getting in shape for DH.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Getting in shape for DH.
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 11:26 Quote
be fit not fat. you cant beat training for an activity than actualy doing it. but other cardio work will help you get a boost that you need.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
Strippy wrote:
be fit not fat. you cant beat training for an activity than actualy doing it. but other cardio work will help you get a boost that you need.

ya and muscles weight more than fat any way.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 11:57 Quote
Downhiller-92 wrote:
Strippy wrote:

ya and muscles weight more than fat any way.

yeah im pure ripped under that t-shirt.lol

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 at 19:08 Quote
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
eblackwell wrote:
Ride Dh. Thats really the best thing but just riding anywhere you can, running for conditioning, riding hills! Whatever else
ride your dh bike like an xc bike.... ride it everywhere over everything.... better technique=better shape= better performance spend as much time on your rig as possible

this works really well

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 at 19:24 Quote
riding single speed is good leg training. It forces you to power up hills and keep going cause you can't change gears.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 12:28 Quote
would hockey help at all cause I'm playing A this year...For the people out west AAA is the highest level out hear.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
Downhiller-92 wrote:
would hockey help at all cause I'm playing A this year...For the people out west AAA is the highest level out hear.

Hockey is rough. Fast, physical, and super tiring. I would imagine it to help a great deal with overall fitness, but everybody has a little different routine for crosstraining. Just don't neglect your bike too much during the off season.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
Downhiller-92 wrote:

Hockey is rough. Fast, physical, and super tiring. I would imagine it to help a great deal with overall fitness, but everybody has a little different routine for crosstraining. Just don't neglect your bike too much during the off season.

Oooo ya I won't forget about my bike cause all I do is bike hockey and well school which I don't like anyway.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 10:50 Quote
drsouce169 wrote:
riding single speed is good leg training. It forces you to power up hills and keep going cause you can't change gears.

I agree! Single speeding is the best fun you'll have XCing, its even better if you have a rigid bike as peps won't understand how this guy with out gears and on a sh#t looking bike is cranking past. Being rigid will also help you get better at pumping.

Swimming is tops, riding street and pump tracks- stay away from gyms!

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 11:06 Quote
jaycee wrote:
Downhiller-92 wrote:
Kadin wrote:
lol 120 isnt that much to bench dude.

hay man it might not be for you but I can bench that and I only weight 115 pounds so i think that is a good weight for me.

dude, if you can throw around 120 and you only weight 115 that's pretty decent. Especially at 16.

Repping over your body weight is serious business for bench no matter what you weigh.

actually, not so much. repping your bodyweight is something you SHOULD be able to do out of highschool....

What kind of shape are you wanting to get into???

I box and will give you a bunch of tips for speed / cardio / strength.

Also, I would stay away from exercises that arent compound exercises.... Benching is sometimes considered to be compound (using more than one muscle / groups) but it's really not. A much better alternative to weights (unless you're looking to bulk) is timed body weight exercises.

An example of timed body weight exercises is:
1 minute straight of pushups, aiming for highest reps possible.

I will give you my pre fight schedule if you want it.... boxing is 1000's times harder than downhill

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:13 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
jaycee wrote:
Downhiller-92 wrote:

hay man it might not be for you but I can bench that and I only weight 115 pounds so i think that is a good weight for me.

dude, if you can throw around 120 and you only weight 115 that's pretty decent. Especially at 16.

Repping over your body weight is serious business for bench no matter what you weigh.

actually, not so much. repping your bodyweight is something you SHOULD be able to do out of highschool....

What kind of shape are you wanting to get into???

I box and will give you a bunch of tips for speed / cardio / strength.

Also, I would stay away from exercises that arent compound exercises.... Benching is sometimes considered to be compound (using more than one muscle / groups) but it's really not. A much better alternative to weights (unless you're looking to bulk) is timed body weight exercises.

An example of timed body weight exercises is:
1 minute straight of pushups, aiming for highest reps possible.

I will give you my pre fight schedule if you want it.... boxing is 1000's times harder than downhill

man, not alot of people and rep their weight, their max is maybe their bodyweight.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 13:07 Quote
everyone i know does :-X then again, i hang out with people who have been in sports for their entire lives....

i'm not saying everyone DOES, im saying they SHOULD (hence the reason I said SHOULD in my coment Wink )

I REP 185, max around 220is. That's without lifting weights (i only do bodyweight exercises.. ie. pushups, situps, pullups, squats, sprints, etc)

The best exercise for downhill (or most biking) is sprinting... Whoever said swimming doesnt know what they are talking about... Swimming will work mostly your upper body as you are "pulling" your way across the water... You also burn less calories when you swim compared to when you run / sprint because you are supported by the water so, in a sense, you are "pulling" less of a load.

do a sprint / run circuit with pushups, dips, squats, crunches, and pullups. It is much more efficient... also, if you know what burpees are... use them. they are the best exercise ever.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 13:14 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
everyone i know does :-X then again, i hang out with people who have been in sports for their entire lives....

i'm not saying everyone DOES, im saying they SHOULD (hence the reason I said SHOULD in my coment Wink )

I REP 185, max around 220is. That's without lifting weights (i only do bodyweight exercises.. ie. pushups, situps, pullups, squats, sprints, etc)

The best exercise for downhill (or most biking) is sprinting... Whoever said swimming doesnt know what they are talking about... Swimming will work mostly your upper body as you are "pulling" your way across the water... You also burn less calories when you swim compared to when you run / sprint because you are supported by the water so, in a sense, you are "pulling" less of a load.

do a sprint / run circuit with pushups, dips, squats, crunches, and pullups. It is much more efficient... also, if you know what burpees are... use them. they are the best exercise ever.

your dumb. swimming works everything. abs, LEGS ie (what you pedal with) and your arms. maybe just your arms if you cant swim. but it works really good on your stanima.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 13:19 Quote
i cant swim, i hate the water, and I'm not dumb either Wink . Swimmers are not in the same condition as runners. Then again, runners are not in the "same" condition as swimmers. I can run 10k's in around 40 minutes. I cant, however, swim 2 miles (atleast I have never tried) partly because I dont really like the water unless I'm skiing, and partly because swimming is boring (which sucks because I want to do a triathalon). Swimming is not "tops" for bike riding.

Also, you may need to go read up on how swimming "works". You ARE pulling yourself through the water (and propelling through the water using your legs if you want to TRY to be an ass about it, sorry I didnt feel the need to spell things out. Maybe I was thinking the education level on this board was a little over middle school). you ARE working against less force than you would be running, and you DO burn less calories. It's also not as cardio intensive, you just have to learn how to breathe in the water, then it's not as bad.

oh yeah, forgot you all dont do research...

here

http://swimming.about.com/b/2008/04/20/is-swimming-a-good-exercise-for-weight-loss.htm

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
i cant swim, i hate the water, and I'm not dumb either Wink . Swimmers are not in the same condition as runners. Then again, runners are not in the "same" condition as swimmers. I can run 10k's in around 40 minutes. I cant, however, swim 2 miles (atleast I have never tried) partly because I dont really like the water unless I'm skiing, and partly because swimming is boring (which sucks because I want to do a triathalon). Swimming is not "tops" for bike riding.

Also, you may need to go read up on how swimming "works". You ARE pulling yourself through the water (and propelling through the water using your legs if you want to TRY to be an ass about it, sorry I didnt feel the need to spell things out. Maybe I was thinking the education level on this board was a little over middle school). you ARE working against less force than you would be running, and you DO burn less calories. It's also not as cardio intensive, you just have to learn how to breathe in the water, then it's not as bad.

oh yeah, forgot you all dont do research...

here

http://swimming.about.com/b/2008/04/20/is-swimming-a-good-exercise-for-weight-loss.htm

because most of us have lives

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018059
Mobile Version of Website