Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 17:03 Quote
3ven wrote:
dualsuspensiondave wrote:
Haha! I can't believe that people are saying that the hayes are better! The juicy fives are way better, you can't really compare the two. If you look at complete bikes and the way they are spec'd, the hayes are on the starter models and the juicys are on the the higher end component models....that should tell you right there for the non-believers. To put it into perspective: Specialized demo 7 comes with juicy 5's ($3500 bike)

Mate, you talk shite, Look at the top end Konas, Hayes. Avids don't even feature in the line, God just because they're specced on bikes doesn't make them all that great..
Seriously though, its personal preference. I have my Codes set up like Hayes, I hate avid lever feel, Hayes feel better to me. Safer in a way. i like to know when i grab the brake there isn't a few mils of lever travel before it starts grabbing. Hayes have never let me down, my Avids constantly do. My 7s were the biggest piles of w**k i have ever used. they just didn't work well.. ever. My codes have gotten better with new non-avid pads but still aren't as good as my Hayes.

If you want a brake like a Hayes but don't fancy Hayes then a Magura Julie is your best bet. I loved mine, stopped me every time without fail.

Again, we are comparing hayes hfx 9's to avid juicy 5's....not juicy 5's to every hayes brake available. I've had both and the fives are alot more powerful, and they don't fade as quick as the hfx 9's. When you see a bike with hayes hfx 9's, and the one that is the same frame with higher quality components, and you see juicy's......yeah, 1 plus 1 equals two.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 17:06 Quote
all trials bikes run a avid juciy becuase of the incredible stopping power and the reliablity

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 17:07 Quote
i have two bikes right now... my dh bike with 2x 8" HFX 9s... they're okay i guess. the levers are kinda uncomfortable, and the brake fade is noticable. my street/dj bike has a juicy 7 on the back. it's only a 6" rotor, but it has much for power then the hayes... especially if you like one-finger braking. the hayes 6" brake that came on my street bike just sucked period, hence the juicy. my friend rides a street/dj bike with the juicy 5's and they have great stopping power too.. can't really comment on brake fade as it's not a dh bike, where you're on the brakes hard.

i must say i BY FAR prefer the juicy levers though. they are smooth and reactive and comfy, the hayes ones i have are all lose and feel weird, with a funky travel pattern. the juicy's modulate better too.

my 2 cents -Braeden

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 17:12 Quote
redridesrule wrote:
i have two bikes right now... my dh bike with 2x 8" HFX 9s... they're okay i guess. the levers are kinda uncomfortable, and the brake fade is noticable. my street/dj bike has a juicy 7 on the back. it's only a 6" rotor, but it has much for power then the hayes... especially if you like one-finger braking. the hayes 6" brake that came on my street bike just sucked period, hence the juicy. my friend rides a street/dj bike with the juicy 5's and they have great stopping power too.. can't really comment on brake fade as it's not a dh bike, where you're on the brakes hard.

i must say i BY FAR prefer the juicy levers though. they are smooth and reactive and comfy, the hayes ones i have are all lose and feel weird, with a funky travel pattern. the juicy's modulate better too.

my 2 cents -Braeden

So agreed. tup

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 17:17 Quote
Juicy 5 hands down.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 18:16 Quote
trekrules wrote:
Haha! I can't believe that people are saying that the hayes are better! The juicy fives are way better, you can't really compare the two. If you look at complete bikes and the way they are spec'd, the hayes are on the starter models and the juicys are on the the higher end component models....that should tell you right there for the non-believers. To put it into perspective: Specialized demo 7 comes with juicy 5's ($3500 bike)

Sorry to disapiont you but Hayes brakes where alway's mounted on the high end DH bikes and you gonna flame me on this one but Hayes where and always be the Nr.1 brake off choice in the World Cup circuit.Fabien barel,Sam Hill,Sabrina Jonier,Brian Lopes,Duncan Rifle,Ben reid etc have ridin or some still riding Hayes brakes and won lot's off national and world Championships with it.Hayes brakes are still mounted on some High end DH bikes.10 or 11 years back most off all you guys where running Hayes Disc brakes and some Magura Gustav's.I haven't seen any juicy 5's hitting the first 3 podium spots off the national championships and world championships or World cups in it's history.
yea they are sponsered and have no choice and they use theirs sparingly

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
trekrules wrote:

Sorry to disapiont you but Hayes brakes where alway's mounted on the high end DH bikes and you gonna flame me on this one but Hayes where and always be the Nr.1 brake off choice in the World Cup circuit.Fabien barel,Sam Hill,Sabrina Jonier,Brian Lopes,Duncan Rifle,Ben reid etc have ridin or some still riding Hayes brakes and won lot's off national and world Championships with it.Hayes brakes are still mounted on some High end DH bikes.10 or 11 years back most off all you guys where running Hayes Disc brakes and some Magura Gustav's.I haven't seen any juicy 5's hitting the first 3 podium spots off the national championships and world championships or World cups in it's history.

that's because all the really fast pros don't even use their brakes! Beer

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
i'd personally go with the hayes
i like the lever shape better
better modulation too
avids just feel...dead and mushy

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 18:32 Quote
hayes are on and off avid has modulation

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 20:37 Quote
iI you seriously went with hayes over j5s I would laugh in your face. Avids HANDS DOWN 100x better.

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 1:40 Quote
Can people across the sea not read, it all come down to personal preference. I chose hayes nines over Avid Juicy 7s..

I'd laff at eny1 who picz avud jusy fivez over hayez nynes...

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 2:18 Quote
Its all personal preference, if it doesn't suit your riding style or you've had a bad experience with it then move on and find another! I ride with with hope mini's on my hardtail and hope 6pot's on my freeride rig, both feel good and i've had no problems.

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 4:35 Quote
At the moment on my dh/fr bike, im running a juicy 5 on the front and hayes hfx 9 on the rear, both 203mm rotors. Its a good mix because i have the great modulation, less fading and pregressive front brake and a on or off rear brake for drifting or stopping cause some dog walker is in the track.

It seems perfect for my riding and does not restrict my riding in any way.

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 5:00 Quote
olynch wrote:
At the moment on my dh/fr bike, im running a juicy 5 on the front and hayes hfx 9 on the rear, both 203mm rotors. Its a good mix because i have the great modulation, less fading and pregressive front brake and a on or off rear brake for drifting or stopping cause some dog walker is in the track.

It seems perfect for my riding and does not restrict my riding in any way.

haha, thats the answer get both! lol, props to thinking outside the box.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009568
Mobile Version of Website