Need Some Opinions on Which Bike to Get

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Need Some Opinions on Which Bike to Get
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 19:13 Quote
I'm moving off to college or university next year and need to find a good bike to bring. I just graaduated and am living out of my house for a year to save some money working full time. I have an STP and a Stinky Primo but I don't think I'll be taking one of those. My passion is in fast downhill riding but I have to look at the reality that if I bring a DH bike I won't be able to do the same sort of trail riding. All in all I am looking for a dual-suspension bike that won't need much shop maintenence and something that feels just as at home racing downhill as it does doing 10ft plus drops and then riding to the top to do it agian. I have a few bikes in mind and I know I'm talking about a dream machine here but any imput will be greatly appritiated.
I will post the bikes I have in mind after I get some input.
Thanks a million.
Dan.

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 at 17:44 Quote
I now there are several posts like this but this is a build I will be making over the winter. So opinions would be greatly appritiated.
Some bikes I am looking at right now are the:
Intense SS
Intense Uzzi
Specialized SX
Transition Bottle Rocket
Banshee Rune
Any thought on these bukes or others would be great.
I do want a bike that can do some DH racing as well as trail riding.

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 at 18:13 Quote
i would look into the commencal max max tup

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
crazy-canuck wrote:
I now there are several posts like this but this is a build I will be making over the winter. So opinions would be greatly appritiated.
Some bikes I am looking at right now are the:
Intense SS
Intense Uzzi
Specialized SX
Transition Bottle Rocket
Banshee Rune
Any thought on these bukes or others would be great.
I do want a bike that can do some DH racing as well as trail riding.

These are all good choices along with the intence 55 or specialized enduro
But I would go for the bottle rocket with some 55's great do-it-all bike.

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 at 20:25 Quote
Maybe a giant reign x

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 at 20:31 Quote
What is you budget? This helps a lot for us when we try to help.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 4:52 Quote
I'm not to worried about the budget. I could make $4000 for sure and mabey more if I have to. But I figure that should be good. As for the specilized enduro, the only reason I wouldn't go for a bike like that is I love drops and DH. So I need a bike that can handle those and need only minum maintenance.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 6:31 Quote
crazy-canuck wrote:
I'm not to worried about the budget. I could make $4000 for sure and mabey more if I have to. But I figure that should be good. As for the specilized enduro, the only reason I wouldn't go for a bike like that is I love drops and DH. So I need a bike that can handle those and need only minum maintenance.

For the money you can spend, I would go for a Transition (Big Hit w/ air spring/// Bottlerocket w/ air spring)... the frame prices and warranties are awesome and it will give you a lot of extra cash to get higher end components.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 at 7:01 Quote
Check out Trek's Remedy. It pedals up flawlessly, it descends like a DH bike, looks sweet, can be built very light, and buying it stock would leave you with a whole lot of extra cash to completely trick it out. The only downside is it comes with a couple parts from Trek's sister company, Bontrager, which are fine parts to use for a while, but if you are seriously riding a lot you should probably look to upgrade or replace the wheels/tires, and if you feel the need, maybe the seatpost and stem.

I think you would most enjoy Trek's Remedy.

Posted: Oct 4, 2008 at 11:40 Quote
Right now I'm searching for a similar bike.

Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro, etc. are fine bikes for sure, but those ~150mm bikes just cannot compete with fine bikes with ~180mm of travel concerning DH-capacity.

But to get those bikes uphill, the number one request for those bikes - in my opinion - is a steep seat angle, so that you can pedal properly.

My favourite seems to be the Intense Uzzi
the 2 downsides of this bike are the high price and that it's not available by now.
(you may also choose a Socom (but it climbs far worse), a Slopestyle (but I wouldn't expect it to have comparable DH-abilities) or the old Uzzi (but there will be some nice improvements on the new one)

other bikes I'd take into consideration include the Giant Reign X, the Devinci Frantik (I don't know too much about that brand and this bike), the Lapierre Froggy (but it has a much slacker seat angle).

I wouldn't choose the Specialized SX-Trail (or the Norco Shore, etc.), because it takes too much effort getting those bikes uphill (because the frame design is not adapted for going uphill.

There are some other bikes as well, but I don't think you get them outside of Europe (Canyon Torque, Liteville 901) and as I've said, my first choice would be the Intense Uzzi anyways.

I hope to have helped (and you excuse my bad english).

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 at 15:44 Quote
Well first of all the english was perfectly fine.
The uzzi is deffinitly at the top of my list to. If i could find something with adjustable head tube angle that would really help but I have only really seen the banshee sythe and the commencal mini like that for the kind of bikes i'm looking at.

Posted: Oct 4, 2008 at 15:48 Quote
sx trail would be best

Posted: Oct 4, 2008 at 18:07 Quote
ok, sorry, SX Trail would indeed be fine, too.

Don't know why and when I got a wrong picture of that bike's geometry in my head. In fact, the geometry is great, the steep seat angle should allow the bike to have good climbing abilities.

The only downside is the need for a telescopic seatpost (but you'll need that in a Giant Reign X, etc. as well).

but the paintjob sucks (for everyone aged 16 or above) Wink

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011830
Mobile Version of Website