Is there anything i should know before buyin an ns capital frame ?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Is there anything i should know before buyin an ns capital frame ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 13:57 Quote
i dont know much about the frame and am a noob about dj but am pretty alright at it, and just wondered if there was anything like certain parts that i HAD to have, just to save cofusion and time tbh lol lol

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
spanish bottom bracket and a 14mm bmx hub.
awesome frame, get one!

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 11:52 Quote
is spanish, kinda like sealed :L

im shit at all this :L

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 11:54 Quote
hmm i may be worng but i thought that captials and dirt jumps dont mix?

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 12:05 Quote
azboaz1 wrote:
is spanish, kinda like sealed :L

im shit at all this :L
spanish is just a type of bb, its bmx.
and yo would need a bmx rear hub, spaced 110mm and 14mm axle.(mtb is 135mm spced)

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
It only alows 24" Wheels and uses a 110mm rear dropouts spacing compared to most moutain bikes which are 135mm so you will likey need to change your hubs for bmx hubs. Except from that it has a intergrated headset and a spanish bb as said above

Edit: Beat me to it

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
I bought one sight unseen about a month ago. The paint is really weak, and you can scrape it off to the bare metal easily with a penny. The headset is bmx style, and absolutly never stays tight, even after I bought a Drive Wedgie. It's not too bad now, but with a regular star nut it would loosen after one hop. When they welded the BB shell to the rest of the frame it must have warped like crazy because it's oval shaped, and it took me forever to get the bearings in. Once they were in, they barely turned. With the chain off when I spin the cranks they go about one turn.

photo

Even after all that, I still really like this frame. It handles nicely, it's light and I think it looks good, but the quality is not there.

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 21:18 Quote
man that sucks for you

the starnut coming loose has nothing to do with the frame though.

i never had any problems putting mine together. its a fun bike but i would not say its for dirt jumps.
if you mainly jump then get the NS suburban. you can get it in 24 or 26 inch wheels, its regular mtb spacing, and its designed more for dj. or look into their new frame coming out the majesty i think, or maybe its majestic.

and now ill add to the list of must have's
they are made for rigid forks or really low suspension forks

***very important***
you can not run disc brakes on the rear of this frame, you have to either run V brakes or no brakes at all. not a bad thing but this is unlike most urban/dj mtb frames.
this also means your 24" rims must be rim brake compatible

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 6:11 Quote
No, it is. The way a bmx headset works and is shaped, the bearings contact the frame at 45 degree angles, so everytime you land, it pushes the bearings back and forth. If the stem and starnut can't hold tightly enough, they move, and YAY YOUR HEADSET IS LOOSE AGAIN. Not that I found it frustrating or anything...

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 7:38 Quote
down0050 wrote:
No, it is. The way a bmx headset works and is shaped, the bearings contact the frame at 45 degree angles, so everytime you land, it pushes the bearings back and forth. If the stem and starnut can't hold tightly enough, they move, and YAY YOUR HEADSET IS LOOSE AGAIN. Not that I found it frustrating or anything...
i call bs on that.

Integrated headsets work fine when they are put in properly and tightened properly. For this to happen you would have to do something incorrect because i've had mine for a season and its come loose once, and thats because my stem was loose...

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 7:47 Quote
Naw, it's in correctly. I've installed that type of headset many times on bmxes, and I have never had any problems with them. You do realise that one of the reasons you put grease in these headsets is to keep them from creaking as the bearings slide slightly back and forth on their contact surfaces?

Anyways it's just something to keep in mind for someone buying this frame, because if I had known what a pain in the ass the headset would turn out to be, I would have bought something with a regular headtube.

By the way, when you "call bs", does that make you feel like an expert?

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 8:42 Quote
down0050 wrote:
When they welded the BB shell to the rest of the frame it must have warped like crazy because it's oval shaped, and it took me forever to get the bearings in. Once they were in, they barely turned. With the chain off when I spin the cranks they go about one turn.

If you didn't already, bring the frame to a shop and have them tap and face the bb shell. I would venture a guess that your cranks don't spin worth a damn because the bearings aren't seated parallel. Getting the shell tapped and faced should remedy that problem. My Draco did the exact same thing.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 9:06 Quote
That was my plan, although it's a spanish bb so no tapping would be involved. A friend of mine works in a machine shop and I'm hoping he will be able to bore the shell to the correct size. The bearings are seated properly and are straight but they are being crushed by the shell. Maybe I'll just see if I can get it warantied during the winter months though...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012566
Mobile Version of Website