XC Bikes

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 at 19:17 Quote
I would still take a ti hardtail over a carbon one with slack geometry. Carbon hardtails feel to racy ti or steel is nice.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2012 at 21:58 Quote
GAHHH!!! Hes everywhere.... I wont bother re-ranting in this forum though.

Question: Regardless of your veiws on this movement, has anyone had experience with the Surly Troll? Im considering a frame upgrade and considering my shop is a Surly dealer I could get such a frame for a decent price (not that the MSRP isnt pretty sweet regardless) thus securing a new ride AND the ability to eat next year.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2012 at 22:10 Quote
freerider1996 wrote:
Hey All, So im really thinking about getting a santa cruz Juliana for xc riding and xc racing, plz tell me what you think.
Thanks, Will

ill give you an opinion if youll stop spamming those damn Kony videos all over the place.

Buy a superlight....the Juliana is the same suspension design, but designed for women. If youre doing frame only or a build the Superlight is an awesome value. Consider the highest tier package you can afford, SC doesnt screw around with lop-sided spec... you get what you pay for all the way around. Also, consider a shock upgrade to an RP23/RP2 (used or new) to help with pedaling efficiency. The superlight is good... but a single pivot can only be so good and a decent shock makes a good deal of difference.

Posted: Mar 11, 2012 at 17:05 Quote
Just got a 2011 Kona Cindercone. I'm a beginner so hopefully it serves me well this season. Once I figure out what I really like out there I hope to move up to a full suspension A/M for next season.

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2012 at 18:51 Quote
tarah44 wrote:
Just got a 2011 Kona Cindercone. I'm a beginner so hopefully it serves me well this season. Once I figure out what I really like out there I hope to move up to a full suspension A/M for next season.

nice.... say what you will about Kona, but their frames dont quit. Take a look at mine.... that POS has outlasted every one of its parts. Not that i would recommend NOT upgrading to a sick bike next year... thats a much better idea. Razz

Posted: Mar 11, 2012 at 19:06 Quote
I've had decent luck with Kona hardtails too. I did crack one head tube on an early one, but it was warrantied(with an updated frame with a redesigned headtube), and I've riden a couple others for years without trouble.

Posted: Mar 11, 2012 at 19:12 Quote
Ive got a 19 year old steel framed kona hardtail. (technically my dads old bike) its still going strong. The components have broken but the frame is fine.

Posted: Mar 11, 2012 at 20:42 Quote
Lifetime warranty for the win. The 2011 cinder cone was good looking bike. The filled in welds are pretty. By comparison the 2011 Kahuna (same price) looked crude.

Posted: Mar 12, 2012 at 3:26 Quote
My 2011 Trek fuel ex8. Save for the bontrager dusters splitting in half and the rear shock exploding (both replaced by trek & fox pretty painlessly) it has been a great bike.
trek fuel ex 8
trek fuel ex 8
trek fuel ex 8

Posted: Mar 12, 2012 at 3:51 Quote
My Mongoose Tyax that I recently finished building up. Handles and rides better than the Raleigh full susser I had before which was sadly stolen last year. The build is aruond a 2010 Tyax Super frame.

Side on pic of the Mongoose out on the first trail ride. So much easier to ride than my old full sus better handling lighter faster...need I go on

Spec is as follows:
Forks-Fox Vanilla 125R forks repainted in black and white with custom decals
Brakes-Hope Mono M4 brakes, Hope Floating rotors-203 front, 183 rear
Wheels-Halo SAS front, Tornado rear
Chain Device-Superstar Laser
Handlebars-Superstar Descent 780's in red
Grips-Superstar
Shifer-SRAM X5
Rear mech-SRAM X5
Halo skewers
Tyres-Kenda Kollossal 26x2.35 front and rear
Stem-Truvativ Hussefelt
Chain-SRAM PC971
Cranks-Shimano Deore M590
Seat-Scott Contesa
Seatpost-Superstar Chopstick
38 tooth chainring.

Posted: Mar 12, 2012 at 11:15 Quote
Lannarchy wrote:
My 2011 Trek fuel ex8. Save for the bontrager dusters splitting in half and the rear shock exploding (both replaced by trek & fox pretty painlessly) it has been a great bike.
trek fuel ex 8
trek fuel ex 8
trek fuel ex 8

Nice looking bike!

Posted: Mar 12, 2012 at 13:22 Quote
Stormus55 wrote:
My Mongoose Tyax that I recently finished building up. Handles and rides better than the Raleigh full susser I had before which was sadly stolen last year. The build is aruond a 2010 Tyax Super frame.

Side on pic of the Mongoose out on the first trail ride. So much easier to ride than my old full sus better handling lighter faster...need I go on

Spec is as follows:
Grips-Superstar
Shifer-SRAM X5
Rear mech-SRAM X5
Halo skewers
Stem-Truvativ Hussefelt
Chain-SRAM PC971
Seat-Scott Contesa
38 tooth chainring.
no crap it would ride better than a crappy tire bike but i like the new one its pretty sick

Posted: Mar 12, 2012 at 13:38 Quote
Element30kid wrote:
Stormus55 wrote:

Spec is as follows:
Grips-Superstar
Shifer-SRAM X5
Rear mech-SRAM X5
Halo skewers
Stem-Truvativ Hussefelt
Chain-SRAM PC971
Seat-Scott Contesa
38 tooth chainring.
no crap it would ride better than a crappy tire bike but i like the new one its pretty sick

Cheers mate, the Mongoose is the first bike I built up from frame only, came out pretty well and rides like a dream!

Posted: Mar 12, 2012 at 19:44 Quote
Element30kid wrote:

Raleigh in Canada is not the same as the rest of the world. The canadian brand is not even the same company.

Posted: Mar 13, 2012 at 7:01 Quote
so it is a walmart bike in canada but in the rest of the world they're decent??Very confused

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018870
Mobile Version of Website