Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2023 at 19:27 Quote
If you don’t ride the shore in the rain you’ll rarely ride. Go for it and have fun.

Posted: Oct 9, 2023 at 20:49 Quote
benjamin-s wrote:
North Shore in the Rain?

Can any of you locals give suggestions on how the north shore trails handle rain? I live in Oregon, but I have a day off of work on Friday, and I'm thinking making the drive for one last hurrah before winter. I have my eye on Severed-D, at Seymour, or Expresso at Fromme. The blacks are quite challenging for me, but an enjoyable kind of challenging, we have nothing quite like it down here.

The current forecast, (which I realize could change) says rain is minimal, but probably heavy rain tomorrow. Do those trails do OK when they are wet?

All thoughts and advice are welcome.

Those trails would be fine. In fact, they'd probably ride really well after this rain

Posted: Oct 10, 2023 at 7:47 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
If you don’t ride the shore in the rain you’ll rarely ride. Go for it and have fun.

stick to the sanctioned trails if you ride in the rain.

Posted: Oct 10, 2023 at 11:02 Quote
if you're coming all this way i'd suggest stay on Seymour as you'll obviously want to make a full day of it and do multiple laps, there are just more places to recharge and refuel at the bottom of Seymour.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2023 at 13:10 Quote
Yep you'll be good, the shore is the best place to ride in the rain. Seventh into expresso on Fromme is really good in the wet, as are most seymour trails (severed, john deere, boogie man, etc). I can agree that Seymour has a bit more stuff right at the bottom, Fromme also has lots close by if you're okay to drive for a minute or two.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2023 at 17:35 Quote
Today was a success!

Thanks for the tips. We rode the lower portion of Fromme. Made an attempt at pipeline but not everyone was feeling it. Any suggestions for riding a really technical trail for the first time? I would walk down to check around corners to see what was coming up, not sure if that is the norm or not but I find it difficult to ride trails I have never been on.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2023 at 19:37 Quote
Glad you had fun. Taking a look at each section and plotting your course is a great way to break things down into manageable portions.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2023 at 8:21 Quote
benjamin-s wrote:
North Shore in the Rain?

Can any of you locals give suggestions on how the north shore trails handle rain? I live in Oregon, but I have a day off of work on Friday, and I'm thinking making the drive for one last hurrah before winter. I have my eye on Severed-D, at Seymour, or Expresso at Fromme. The blacks are quite challenging for me, but an enjoyable kind of challenging, we have nothing quite like it down here.

The current forecast, (which I realize could change) says rain is minimal, but probably heavy rain tomorrow. Do those trails do OK when they are wet?

All thoughts and advice are welcome.

All the sanctioned trails are rideable when wet, although can be slippery and have some puddles. Generally I find the rock here still grips very well even when wet. Severed and espresso are great all weather trails imo. Espresso has a few ladders to take it easy on when soaked, but are still totally fine in wet.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2023 at 11:30 Quote
Who maintains the trails on Fromme?

A lot of respect to the quality and care that was there. A beautiful trail system!

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2023 at 12:20 Quote
JulesBri wrote:
Who maintains the trails on Fromme?

A lot of respect to the quality and care that was there. A beautiful trail system!
NSMBA, but if you’ve heard of the legendary Todd “Digger” Fiander he has a lot to do with it!

https://diggerknowfear.com/pages/about-digger

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2023 at 12:33 Quote
Thanks!

Would love to share a donation or get some merch!

Posted: Oct 11, 2023 at 14:45 Quote
NSMBA is your best bet for a donation... lots of people doing work on Fromme

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2023 at 15:56 Quote
JulesBri wrote:
Today was a success!

Thanks for the tips. We rode the lower portion of Fromme. Made an attempt at pipeline but not everyone was feeling it. Any suggestions for riding a really technical trail for the first time? I would walk down to check around corners to see what was coming up, not sure if that is the norm or not but I find it difficult to ride trails I have never been on.

New technical trails can be tough especially on the shore - its a whole different kind of riding. You did a good thing for sure, there's no right or wrong way to ride, as long as you had fun. If you're there still or going again, try Seymour... I find the trails there are a bit more flowy and easier to ride (John Deere, Severed, etc). Fromme is a much slower/technical mountain but very fun!

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 9:05 Quote
Hey there, I’m probably going to be in van in the next couple of weeks and wondering if I should bring a bike. How are the trail conditions at the moment? I suspect you don’t have much snow as we are almost good to ride here in the interior!

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 9:16 Quote
free of snow basically all the way to the top. I suspect the ski hills will be zero snow by the weekend.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011569
Mobile Version of Website