Switzerland

PB Forum :: Europe
Switzerland
Posted: Jan 14, 2012 at 2:30 Quote
Wallis is a really great area for biking as well of course, but nothing compares to the engadin in my eyes ;-)

Portes du soleil is perfect for a one-week vacation. One lift ticket for over 60 gondolas and chairlifts - 11 euros a day! Lots and lots of built trails in Chatel, Morzine, and Les Gets. Most of them are downhill and freeride tracks with man-built obstacles and get a little crowded in the main season. Really good singletrack is mostly hidden, but findable with a little research ;-)

Food and accomodations are a little expensive in the whole area, so considering alternatives in the wallis could be a good option. (always depending on euro and swiss franc exchange rates)

I've written some spot reports on portes du soleil: http://www.flowzone.ch/news/tag/portes-du-soleil/

ride on

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 12:16 Quote
I'd like to do a front-page story about this but need translations. My shitty german does not do well

http://www.ride.ch/site/index.php/kanton-bern-will-singletrail-verbot-fuer-mountainbiker.html- courtesy of RIDE magazine

and the organization who is helping with public input from bikers

http://www.trailnet.ch/ - there is a front page story but I cannot understand it

Any Bernese oberlanders who can comment? Anyone who can help with translation

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 12:30 Quote
daveduarte wrote:
hey guys!

Switzerland certainly is amazing for riding! I may be changing job to one thats based in Oensingen in the North, and will be flying into Zurich a lot with work. I am trying to find a good area to move out to, to get local rides in frequently and works out being close to Zurich or Oensingen. I prefer to ride tech/fun singletrack or DH (I own an Orange Patriot 180mm, and an Orange 223 200m DH bike). Any good spots anywhere up there?
Yes, I plan to take trips down to the alps aswell Big Grin
Cheers!

If ure in Zürich i could show u some nice (secret) spots. Just wirte me a pm.

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 13:13 Quote
leelau wrote:
I'd like to do a front-page story about this but need translations. My shitty german does not do well

http://www.ride.ch/site/index.php/kanton-bern-will-singletrail-verbot-fuer-mountainbiker.html- courtesy of RIDE magazine

and the organization who is helping with public input from bikers

http://www.trailnet.ch/ - there is a front page story but I cannot understand it

Any Bernese oberlanders who can comment? Anyone who can help with translation

Ah that would be really nice! If u do that it helps the bernese a lot.

It's about a new law, that would forbid mtbiking on trail wich are smaller then 4 meters (12 feet). Actually it would mean that u only are allowed to drive on roads. If u would obey the law u could get a fine up to 20'000 Chf. The change of that law seems to be little, because mtbiking ia already forbidden on unpaved trails. But its actually quite a big deal. The words "upaved trails" can be interpreted in pretty everything -> no one can sue u of riding on singletracks.
Well now the politicians want to change that.
Trailnet is a swisswide famous organized group that supports us mtbikers. (doesnt matter if mtb, fr, dh, 4x, etc...)

Trailnet now tries to collect as many reasons as possible, that this law change isnt in the interests of the majority of the bernese.
They actually collected A LOT already.
Some of the reasons:
-Tourism (especially mtbikers) would avoid bern and go to other cantons. (interesting also if u post it on pinkbikes front -> the supporters of the law would have another reason to rethink their position...tourism is an important part here)
- There arent any statistics about accidents between hikers and bikers
-no one died du to a biker who would have crashed into a hiker since 2000
- a ban of the bikers isnt the interest of bikers and hikers organizations
- in a survey bikers arent the minor problem wich forest users disturb. Cars for example are much more "hated" (my english isnt that goo, like u see Wink )
-6% of the population of bern rides a mtb regulary. -> where should they go if it gets forbidden?
-1/3 of the selld bikes are mtbikes. -> economic loss
- riding on trails is mostly @ a speed of 25km/h and not more. On Forest roads u have to go much faster, so that it gets challenging -> much more dangerous
- Support of athlets. At the moment we got really good mtbikers of bern in international events. Like nino schurter. That would change
-BielTrail, GurtenTrail, Wiriehorn, Schwanden bei Brienz are trails for gravity. they are a minoritiy. where should the rest go? (a funny comment of a bernese in a newspaper: If that law will get through, theyve got to make annuncements on the radio like: "trafficjam @ the gurtentrail is 2 km long" )
-Enforcing the law will get really dificult. Needs alot more ressources.
-a storm will destroy a trail more than bikes do in years.
-mtbiking is an individual sport. there isnt anyone (an organizaation) who could get in trouble with the law (hope my explanation is understandable)

This new law would be also for horses.
-> more reasons
- bikers cant be equalized with horseriders. theyre just too different

----> this law is the wrong way to go. respect and dialog should be insteed conducived.

I hope u understand now a little more tup
just ask if uve got more questions.

edit: the best would be if u write them a litte mail. they surley can help you even more. I actually only translated. (I'm from Zurich) But i think this law could affect the whole country.
heres their mail: info at trailnet.ch

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 14:22 Quote
Danke! I already wrote to them.

I would write the article from the point of view of a tourist who is interested in spending money in Switzerland.

See I have so many choices of where to go. Why would I want to go somewhere where biking is not welcome? As opposed to say Graubunden where the bikers and hikers, by law, have to share trails.

I hope the perspective of tourism economy will help. Thanks again olexex

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 at 19:28 Quote
Comments on this before it gets published? Did I mistranslate much?

Bern bans biking

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 0:51 Quote
leelau wrote:
Comments on this before it gets published? Did I mistranslate much?

Bern bans biking
Sounds good to me...

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 0:41 Quote
Just got myself a start at this year's Bike-Attack in Lenzerheide Big Grin

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 6:41 Quote
Hi eveyone! ( I speak french too!)

I'm in Switzerland for 4 month and i cant wait to ride!! Is it possible to ride before the opening of the big station like verbier or Champery? I go to school at the EPFL, is there place where its possible to ride in this region? I would be really happy to meet rider from this region!

Au plaisir!

Posted: Mar 4, 2012 at 17:22 Quote
fredou wrote:
Hi eveyone! ( I speak french too!)

I'm in Switzerland for 4 month and i cant wait to ride!! Is it possible to ride before the opening of the big station like verbier or Champery? I go to school at the EPFL, is there place where its possible to ride in this region? I would be really happy to meet rider from this region!

Au plaisir!

EPFL is in Lausanne right?

I have a bunch of riding friends in Nyon/Geneva area and for sure we ride long before the season officially starts. There are plenty of places with uplifts that aren't resorts, e.g. the gondola at the Saleve near Geneva, and cogwheel trains in Biel/Bienne and Rochers-de-Naye (above Montreux). I am sure you would be welcome to join our group (though some of us ride more than others, me currently being one of the lessers due to injury and lack of fitness and work etc...).

Posted: Mar 5, 2012 at 5:25 Quote
hey!

You are tight, EPFL is situed in Lausanne, not far of Renen.

I would be great if i could be able to ride somewhere! When do you start to ride normally? Is there some track easy to find at the place you mentionned?

Posted: Mar 5, 2012 at 5:49 Quote
thanks, but is it possible to have it in an other language, like french or english hahaha!! Cannont understand a word for the moment...

And you, when do you normally start to ride?

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 at 6:23 Quote
HAHA...guess you'll have to learn the basics of german to get it. Unfortunately I live in Zurich and don't have much of a clue of your region. The nearest spot where we usually go is Chaumont, Biel or Gurten, besides the whole PDS region.

Usually drier kind of riding starts around april. This winter we have been lucky here in Zurich. Were able to ride in the mountains all the way into November, and then came the mud and snow in january. If you got a pair of good lights, my guess is the only time of year you can't ride is december/january if it's a good year. If there are lots of snow my guess is late april. Most bike parks open in april/may.

Posted: Mar 5, 2012 at 6:26 Quote
Damn haha!! This language is so weird!! Madder

Happy to learn this! SO now it reaming only one thing: Find a way to get my bike from Quebec to here, of to find a good bike here for a resonable price!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015260
Mobile Version of Website