New Frame Deisgn (not a joke)

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
New Frame Deisgn (not a joke)
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 12:01 Quote
spag wrote:
marquis wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
I'm sorry if it has already been mentioned but what is it you're trying to accomplish with this new design (performance-wise)

its aparrant to me he only answers back to the people that praise his design and doesnt really like critisism.

i respond to people who deserve a response.

as to what i am trying to accomplish is what everyone is trying to accomplish, a better design
Dude, I wasn't being a douche, ignore him. I was just wondering. Is it just for s&g or is there something you're trying to fix?

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 12:24 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
spag wrote:
marquis wrote:

its aparrant to me he only answers back to the people that praise his design and doesnt really like critisism.

as to what i am trying to accomplish is what everyone is trying to accomplish, a better design
Dude, I wasn't being a douche, ignore him. I was just wondering. Is it just for s&g or is there something you're trying to fix?

From what I gather, he is attempting to make a bike that has a rearward, as well as vertical axle path, though the two are in no way related. It won't work though.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
spag wrote:
marquis wrote:

the main issue i am trying to accomplish is having a bike with a mainly rearward axle path but without all that dirty chain grown and feedback

the first 5-6 inches of travel will be rearward then the last 3-4 inches will have no china growth what so ever (pivot around the bb)so it gona have the chain growth of a much smaller travel bike with the suspension of a much bigger bike

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
spag wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
spag wrote:

the main issue i am trying to accomplish is having a bike with a mainly rearward axle path but without all that dirty chain grown and feedback

the first 5-6 inches of travel will be rearward then the last 3-4 inches will have no china growth what so ever (pivot around the bb)so it gona have the chain growth of a much smaller travel bike with the suspension of a much bigger bike

So to sum up what you just said, you have a REARWARD traveling axle path of 5-6 inches, thus adding up to TEN-TWELVE inches of chain growth, why the hell is it so important that the last 3-4 inches are zero growth? Also, the way you describe it, it will have exactly the travel of a 3-4 inch bike, but it'll get hooked up on every rook/rock whatever you hit.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
srobinson wrote:
spag wrote:

So to sum up what you just said, you have a REARWARD traveling axle path of 5-6 inches, thus adding up to TEN-TWELVE inches of chain growth, why the hell is it so important that the last 3-4 inches are zero growth? Also, the way you describe it, it will have exactly the travel of a 3-4 inch bike, but it'll get hooked up on every rook/rock whatever you hit.

It doesn't go 5-6 inches straight backwards, you fool.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 12:45 Quote
hmmm... ive tried to make something that works like that on a 2d physics simulator (phun) and its proving HUGELY difficult
while in theory it would work well, as gabodude said it would take years to get right...
good luck! (no sarcasm, i honestly think its a great idea)

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
srobinson wrote:
spag wrote:

It doesn't go 5-6 inches straight backwards, you fool.

Shush you. It's what he said, not nesecarily what that linkage will do.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
I'm extremely confused but whatever. So My impression is rearward, then vertical axle paths, but what does this do? Whyy would it be better than just vertical.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
ok point taken.

but i defend what i say,for me it seems difficult to say the least thats its going to work.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
I'm extremely confused but whatever. So My impression is rearward, then vertical axle paths, but what does this do? Whyy would it be better than just vertical.

better small bump in the first part along with better square edged hits.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 13:10 Quote
marquis wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:

I see. That is pretty cool if it works out.

Edit: Then again, progressive suspension is pretty much standard issue on high-end bikes nowadays.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 13:13 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
marquis wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:

I see. That is pretty cool if it works out.

Edit: Then again, progressive suspension is pretty much standard issue on high-end bikes nowadays.

i actually thnik i can see what he's trying to achieve now like a j shaped axle path,its just difficult to understand from his drawings.

FL
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 13:14 Quote
if one of the pivots round the bb isnt it just gonna be like an URT?

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
almightybenners wrote:
if one of the pivots round the bb isnt it just gonna be like an URT?

nope because the bb is still part of the main frame,so it still uses a full floating design.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 14:25 Quote
ok, so i was fooling around on linkage, and realized something, the programe only simulates the wheel moving up and down, since thats what standard suspension does. with this design, it may not work out in real life. simulators can be wrong.

so, this is what i recomend you do. use linkage to set up the design again, so that it appears to work. u can then measure distances using the measure tool. now, these measurements are full size, so maybe divide them all by 10 or something, to get a scaled model. after recording these in a hand drawn diagram (doesnt have to actually be to scale), make cut-outs using card board. if ur trying to make a suspension design, im sure ur smart enough to make something to act like suspension, and all the other things.

if it works out, try a wooden one. seriously, make a wooden bike, unless u can get ur hands on some steel and a welder...

hope this helps somewhat...

remember, simulations arent real life...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021264
Mobile Version of Website