Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)

PB Forum :: Downhill
Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:34 Quote
So i come from a AM/FR background and am going to build up a DH bike. currently i ride an intense Slopestyle and love it. so naturally i was going to get a socom but am having second thoughts. maybe you guys can help.
This bike will be my shuttle, resort, plow/hack, big huck bike. i want to beat the crap out of this thing riding it hard. it would require the occasional fire road uphill too. i might race it once or twice for fun but mainly ride really nasty, fast, tech, steep trails with it so a mid 14" bb might be best.

my thoughts

intense socom
positive - light, full seattube, vp suspension, US made, sexy
negative - weaker, bearings are expensive and wear out, hard to find, flexy

cove shocker
positive - burly, stiff, 8.75" rear link suspension, canadian made, easier to find used
negative- heavy, INTERUPTED SEATTUBE !!!! Madder , torn between large and medium.

canfield jedi
positive - awesome suspension, light, short chainstays, cool company
negitive - i will never find one used....ever

iron horse sunday
positive - light, strong, easy to find, look sexy
negative - no longer in production, too low of BB, people will call me a sam hill wannabe Confused

ok let me know what you guys think, i figured asking here on pinkbike would give me a better idea since you guys ride coves more than us here in the states.

im open for other suggestions but please no single pivots and no specialized or trek's. i want something unique.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:37 Quote
Have you considered a V10? Also, why do you discard all single pivots?

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:38 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
Have you considered a V10? Also, why do you discard all single pivots?

v10 is the last thing he wants if he wants to do some mild pedaling

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:42 Quote
I highly doubt a V10 pedals much worse than a Shocker or the Sunday

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:45 Quote
the v10 is too much bike, i like the cleaner look of the socom, sunday, and shocker. i also like to jump and huck and the v10 seems like it wouldn't be as good for that.

i have had plenty of single pivots in the past. since this will be a plow bike i want a rearward axle path for the nasty rock gardens.

i should add that i am 6 feet tall with long arms, i weigh about 180ish all geared up, ive hit up to 20 foot gaps but want to go bigger, i want to get faster on the rough stuff.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:46 Quote
You should look into the V10, and Orange 224.

Also, the Commencal DH frame, forget what it's called has some superb Geo, and is a really great frame.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:47 Quote
You could of course always start queuing for the new DW Turner DHR. You could also look into a Yeti 303. Look, most high-end DH bikes are great in their own right. Have a look if you can test ride friend's or demo bikes and decide for yourself. If you're going to be hard on the bike stay away from the Socom. Its not built for bike park and shuttling abuse. The tubing dents quite easily too.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:48 Quote
timlake wrote:
You should look into the V10, and Orange 224.

Also, the Commencal DH frame, forget what it's called has some superb Geo, and is a really great frame.

Can you not read?

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:48 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
I highly doubt a V10 pedals much worse than a Shocker or the Sunday

you sure about that?
v10 are not so great at peadaling, mabey on dh courses but
not really anywhere else. the 100mm of sag kinda takes that
factor away

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:50 Quote
Since you are looking for some great downhill geo, and something fairly unique, have you looked at the Chumba F5

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:51 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
the v10 is too much bike, i like the cleaner look of the socom, sunday, and shocker. i also like to jump and huck and the v10 seems like it wouldn't be as good for that.

A V10 is no "more" of a bike than a Sunday or a Shocker. As a matter of fact a lot of people describe the Shocker as feeling "dead". Neither of these bikes are "huck" bikes if thats what you are into. You can go off drops with them but by the sounds of it you would be much happier with a long travel FR bike.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:53 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
You could of course always start queuing for the new DW Turner DHR. You could also look into a Yeti 303. Look, most high-end DH bikes are great in their own right. Have a look if you can test ride friend's or demo bikes and decide for yourself. If you're going to be hard on the bike stay away from the Socom. Its not built for bike park and shuttling abuse. The tubing dents quite easily too.

i have ridden the socom and it feels pretty nice, the only reason i wanted one is cause it would feel alot like my slopestyle. but the weaker tubing is a turn off.

i should also mention i don't care about weight too much. i want it to be around 43 pounds which shouldn't be to hard. im a weight weenie in some respects, like my SS weighs 34 pounds but im not sacrificing strength and stability for a fancy light bike.

the yeti does look somewhat appealing, if only they weren't so ugly (paint wise)

and i wish on the new turner. i buy high end stuff but used Big Grin

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:55 Quote
lifeonhigh wrote:
Since you are looking for some great downhill geo, and something fairly unique, have you looked at the Chumba F5

not digging the chumba, design/looks wise

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:56 Quote
Have you considered a Glory DH?? Comes stock with a sweet parts spec and you'd easily save 1000$..

I myself was thinking about getting a shocker but their customer service is a joke soo...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009981
Mobile Version of Website