Which kind of bike?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Which kind of bike?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:15 Quote
So, I have a small dilema about which style of bike to get. I have a Rocky Mountain slayer 50. I have had it for two years and used it my first year at the hills for dh. This past season I had a RM RMX which I used at the hills. I feel like the slayer is not right for the dh stuff geometry wise, and I don't really feel like I need an 8 inch bike.

I am just curious about bikes like a RM slayer ss and Transition bottle rocket. My biggest thing is that I like the bike to be a little higher in the front end to prevent me from going over the bars on the steep stuff. Are these bikes kind of like that?

I would also consider a bike like a demo 7 or something similar.

It's just hard to know because it's hard to ride every bike.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
sx trail maybe? 6.5 inches travel or the sx which has 4 inches the SX-T is probly better suited for you though

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:30 Quote
Firstly, what kind of riding do you do? Lots of steep technical DH or more fast flowy trails? Secondly and more important, what's your price range? That alone will narrow down what you're going to be looking at.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
Yeah, I will look into that as well. I guess I am more concerned about the geo of the bikes in general. Are the slopestyle bikes kind of like dh bikes in the front end?

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:32 Quote
giant reign x1 or x2 witch ever you can afford it goes uphill and downhill

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:33 Quote
Slopestyle bikes are low bb but their HA is still 67ish and are also built to withstand slopestyle punishment meaning they'll be heavy. My DH bike is a Foes Fly which is 8" travel but also has a 67 degree HA. It pedals like an AM or XC bike would, but it can rip any DH course out there. If you're looking for a bike to plow rock gardens, look for 65-66 degree HA, but if you're still wanting something nimble, look for ~67 degree HA and 6.5-8" travel. A lot of a bike characteristics come from setup more than frame angles anyways.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:35 Quote
Price really isn't a concern.

I Ride a lot of terrain fernie,kicking horse, panorama,sun peaks pretty much anywhere I can.

I like more flow but do end up on steep stuff as well. I just don't want to get something to low in the front.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
try a giant glory theyre sweet and the reigns are pretty sweet to

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:39 Quote
jakal44444 wrote:
try a giant glory theyre sweet and the reigns are pretty sweet to
Are you basically just name-dropping every Giant frame you can think of?

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:40 Quote
glory 1 or 0. or glory dh. i have a stinky and im just getting new sick stuff and it handles steep rocky hills right now without the uppgrades

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:41 Quote
haha pretty much but y not lol

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:44 Quote
jakal44444 wrote:
haha pretty much but y not lol
Because it doesn't necessarily help. First, I'm sure he's looked into Giant. Secondly, you do not back up your claim of this frame or that with a statement as of WHY it is a good choice. WHY is the important factor in this discussion. Yes, Giant makes great bikes. Yes, we have all heard of the Reign or the Glory, but blurting them out does not really help contribute to solving his problem.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:46 Quote
So, are you saying that the slayer ss or the bottle rocket are not too good on the steeper dh type trails?

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
Challenger1973 wrote:
So, are you saying that the slayer ss or the bottle rocket are not too good on the steeper dh type trails?

You probably wouldn't be happy on the Bottle Rocket when it got steeper or fast and rough. I'm not sure about the Slayer SS, but I've seen guys very angry with their Bottle Rocket after a DH race.

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
ya but why put how to start a car in the drivers manual lol i posted them just in case they werent thought of yet

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009464
Mobile Version of Website