Cheap DH forks, road cassettes and derailleurs???

PB Forum :: Downhill
Cheap DH forks, road cassettes and derailleurs???
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 16:03 Quote
So, I'm pretty sure I want to put some triple clamps on my 7" freerider , and set it up more as a dedicated resort ride. I am not looking to spend a ton of cash but I will be buying new, cause that's how I like it.
So, I 've narrowed things down to 2 DH forks: the Boxxer Race and the 888 RCV. these would be 2009 in both cases.

I want to hear some advice regarding rider perceptions regarding the durability and ride quality of these entry level forks, or at least previous years' editions.

I am a big dude, In season I'm about 260lbs. I don't do hucking or stunting, but I like to hit step downs and other trail/flow oriented drops. I want some small bump absorbtion, but I want to avoid a "diving" front end.

I'm not planning to go racing, I just want a nice stiff but plush front end that I can thrash all summer.
Opinions from big riders would be most valued, and opinions based on real experiences only please.

Mod O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 16:15 Quote
Rode the 40 and they were nice, but love my 888 now. They are a couple of years old now and I can only imagine that the newer stuff is even better. Always been a big supporter of all springs for durability. The newer Boxxers sure look nice but when I have some WC a couple of years back I liked those too. A totally different ride. Much more stiff, but you learn to ride it a different way. I did like that ride, but it seemed like it was more performance based. For sheer comfort and durability I'd go 888.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 16:19 Quote
marzocchi drop-off triples are cheap as dirt for dh forks. they just have tiny little 34mm stanchions. but they do bottom out frequently. btw that picture of yours is pretty phucked up.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 16:21 Quote
shondo wrote:
So, I 've narrowed things down to 2 DH forks: the Boxxer Race and the 888 RCV. these would be 2009 in both cases.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 17:03 Quote
I have no experience with either of the two Shondo, but I have ridden lots of their siblings. My two all around favorite forks for sheer long term performance and reliability are the 888 RC3 and the Boxxer Team. Both treated me so well. At the end of the day I have to tip my hat at the 888 though do to its extra suppleness on the trails. I weigh in around the 220 marker, so I'm a fan of going the spring route over air too.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 19:17 Quote
thanks guys. Any issues with ride height or set-up or seals that anyone might find noteworthy?

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
i'm 210 pounds and i ride an 05 888rc on my 05 atomik. its a sweet fork. super plush. and very reliable. I've done djing, and ive done downhilling on it. handled both as if they were a walk in the park.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 19:36 Quote
At 260 plus gear, you're going to have a hard time finding springs for the boxxer that won't be too soft. I run a firm, and all that rs makes above that is the x firm, which isn't going to be firm enough for you most likely.

I'd look in to spring kits, and whichever one has heavier springs would be what if go with, eventhough every zoki product of recent ive touched has had bad bushing play that is "within operational tolerances". Thank you tenneco!

Either way, I'd go buy an assortment of fork oils when you get each, and give it a little tuning to help it not dive as much.

The one thing that has me sold of rs however is customer service. You know how much I ask of my bikes, and sometimes that causes issues that need to be addressed. Rs turns stuff around under a week typically. 99% of fixes on either fork don't NEED you to send the fork in, but when you do, it sure is nice for the warranty to be honored pretty much no questions asked.

Ill end with this: there will be a boxxer on my dh rig next season.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
Shondo,

Used to rock an 05' 888RC the fork was great (minus the riser crowns), set it, leave it, go. Ran it with the X-firm springs and 10wt oil. Can't say I've ridden their new stuff to extent, especially enough to convince you. If they've stayed somewhat similar they'd be perfect. As for the Boxxer, if it's the 32mm stanchions ones, skip them. The fore-aft flex with me on them was brutal under breaking (with my light weight 230 pound frame). The new 35mm ones shouldn't have that problem.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 19:39 Quote
im getting boxxer races off. treefortbikes.com for 500

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 19:42 Quote
shondo wrote:
So, I'm pretty sure I want to put some triple clamps on my 7" freerider , and set it up more as a dedicated resort ride. I am not looking to spend a ton of cash but I will be buying new, cause that's how I like it.

I want to hear some advice regarding rider perceptions regarding the durability and ride quality of these entry level forks, or at least previous years' editions.

I am a big dude, In season I'm about 260lbs. I don't do hucking or stunting, but I like to hit step downs and other trail/flow oriented drops. I want some small bump absorbtion, but I want to avoid a "diving" front end.

I'm not planning to go racing, I just want a nice stiff but plush front end that I can thrash all summer.
Opinions from big riders would be most valued, and opinions based on real experiences only please.
To start i have an 06 888RC2x and it is great.. you asked about durability, the 888 will last you foever. the race will last but not as long, i think that is proven. you also said your heavier so the 888 will also be a better choice for that. the 888 is a huck fork but can be a great DH fork as many people use it as. You want small bump obosrtion, that is the thing the 888 RCV will not have im pretty sure, mine does b/c it is the RC2X, so the RC3 will have that but not the RCV, the boxxer RACE does not come with those adjustments.
You should demo both,it is the only true way to find out what you like
id like to add that the new boxxer is sweet looking, i know that doesnt matter to much but check it out on the Sram website

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 19:52 Quote
You guys need to remember that the 888 is not like the 06 durability anymore. If you ride a new one, you'll see where I'm coming from. Not anywhere near the same build quality.

As for 35mm stanchions on the boxxer, he's looking at 09, not the 2010. 09 still is this design.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 20:05 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
You guys need to remember that the 888 is not like the 06 durability anymore. If you ride a new one, you'll see where I'm coming from. Not anywhere near the same build quality.

As for 35mm stanchions on the boxxer, he's looking at 09, not the 2010. 09 still is this design.

that is what ive heard from people that the new marzocchi forks are getting less quality

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 21:34 Quote
yo sean, i rock an 05 888 on my v10. i've ridden it at 230 pounds and at 200 pounds. i just gotta say that once i dial in my preferences, marz suspension proves to be reliable and confidence inspiring. i've had a lotta fun thanks to that fork. my demo has a marz, my wifes ollie has a 888. my next motorbike has an inverted marz fork on it. i got lots of marz forks now that i think about it. i got no experience on a boxxer, so i thus have no opinion on its performance.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 22:29 Quote
while you're here in this thread........so I'm also looking at moving to a road cassette and maybe a new rear mech. to match, any fresh ideas from you smart guys?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011892
Mobile Version of Website