Cheap DH forks, road cassettes and derailleurs???

PB Forum :: Downhill
Cheap DH forks, road cassettes and derailleurs???
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 20:03 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
I dropped my 05' 888's for an 02' Shiver. That fork was awesome. Did nothing to it in the three years I owned it and it never missed a beat.
Maybe my friend has a retarded set. I hate his bike. Most confused piece of crap I've ever seen.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 20:09 Quote
yes, shivers will flex alot if you tweek at them when they arnt compressed, but they are designed to be alot stiffer when your actually wusing the travel. sure there not going to be as stiff as other forks, but there not hotdogs flapping around in the wind like everyone says

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 20:12 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
Maybe my friend has a retarded set. I hate his bike. Most confused piece of crap I've ever seen.

Hahaha, tell us how you really feel. It's amazing how different the same fork can be Shiver to Shiver or even 888 to 888.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 20:30 Quote
i gotta add that the 888 offers something that is either an asset or a liability.

theres lots of them out there.

as a mature- read..old- rider, who has been in the game longer then 95% of the PB faithful have been alive,i'll say that obscurity in parts, uniqueness in you/your bikes presentation, creative or original design or assembly of a bike, being a pioneer of parts and frames in your local pool of fish, all of that mountain bike bohemian bullshit, is meaningless to me.
the 888 might be as ubiquitous as white parts these days. but at least they work and the extra heavy springs work for us "larger and in charger." i dunno about the shiver, but even if you hate the 888, you can always sell it pretty easy.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 20:39 Quote
if youre looking for cheap, go 2008

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 20:59 Quote
me2menow wrote:
if youre looking for cheap, go 2008

yes, but i think I'd like pre 2008, now that i've done some more reading on the topic.

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 4:07 Quote
im 200 lbs, and i run a 40. no problems with it holding up. my friend is the same, but is on a boxxer race. no flex

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 4:08 Quote
dude, dont even think about it... it could be broken and you then have broken stuff on your scooter...

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 7:59 Quote
obee1 wrote:
shondo wrote:
obee1 wrote:
i didn't even ride my v10 once this year. booo

Yeah I hear you. I only had my kingfisher out for one day this year, and that's exactly why I want to really differentiate her build-up from the 6.6, and have a more DH/gravity park set-up that I can drag around to the chair lifts all summer. I don't need to make too many changes (i'm keeping it $en$ible), but I wanna trim some bits here and there.
I think a more DH specific fork will make a real difference in handling and rider confidence tho'.

i was thinking about this and the demo7 does a lot of things well(enough) for me. its my resort bike, my big mountain bike, my hike a bike, my do it all kinda bike. i didn't ride any other bike last summer and i own a DJ and an XC bike too. your 6.6 is a better all round bike, but i don't care about bike weight or climb-a-bility, if theres a hill i can't ride up, i walk up. i'm in no rush really.
besides, our crew's fave riding/drinking is resort stuff, and we take it easy.

your riding explination sounds just like mine,with the exception of resort riding,the only troubl;e i had with the 888 doing this sort of riding was the lack of turning circle i did manage it,but it als could of been doen to a long wheelbase also.

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 8:05 Quote
konakid8 wrote:
marzocchi drop-off triples are cheap as dirt for dh forks. they just have tiny little 34mm stanchions. but they do bottom out frequently. btw that picture of yours is pretty phucked up.

thats why i have 38mm stanchions on my 08 rcv

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 8:39 Quote
Road cassettes are for racers.

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 8:40 Quote
snowtrooperjr wrote:
shondo wrote:
So, I'm pretty sure I want to put some triple clamps on my 7" freerider , and set it up more as a dedicated resort ride. I am not looking to spend a ton of cash but I will be buying new, cause that's how I like it.
So, I 've narrowed things down to 2 DH forks: the Boxxer Race and the 888 RCV. these would be 2009 in both cases.

I want to hear some advice regarding rider perceptions regarding the durability and ride quality of these entry level forks, or at least previous years' editions.

I am a big dude, In season I'm about 260lbs. I don't do hucking or stunting, but I like to hit step downs and other trail/flow oriented drops. I want some small bump absorbtion, but I want to avoid a "diving" front end.

I'm not planning to go racing, I just want a nice stiff but plush front end that I can thrash all summer.
Opinions from big riders would be most valued, and opinions based on real experiences only please.
To start i have an 06 888RC2x and it is great.. you asked about durability, the 888 will last you foever. the race will last but not as long, i think that is proven. you also said your heavier so the 888 will also be a better choice for that. the 888 is a huck fork but can be a great DH fork as many people use it as. You want small bump obosrtion, that is the thing the 888 RCV will not have im pretty sure, mine does b/c it is the RC2X, so the RC3 will have that but not the RCV, the boxxer RACE does not come with those adjustments.
You should demo both,it is the only true way to find out what you like
id like to add that the new boxxer is sweet looking, i know that doesnt matter to much but check it out on the Sram website

I agree. The RCV will not have the small bump compliance you are looking for. The damper is a single oil port without a shim stack or floating valve.

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 8:41 Quote
toooldschool wrote:
Road cassettes are for racers.

Jay, I'll race you to the deli for garlic links.

C'mon I'll also race you to the registration table for the Clydesdale class.......lol lol

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 8:52 Quote
You can find road cassettes for super cheap at ChainReaction. $60 for DuraAce? Rediculously cheap. As for forks, check Ebay. I've found several brand new Fox 40 for 1,000 or so.

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
You can find road cassettes for super cheap at ChainReaction. $60 for DuraAce? Rediculously cheap. As for forks, check Ebay. I've found several brand new Fox 40 for 1,000 or so.

I'm sure I know how to find stuff....believe me, my credit card has the scars to prove it

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016095
Mobile Version of Website