Powered by Outside

Help me build my Transitions- What parts?

PB Forum :: Other
Help me build my Transitions- What parts?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
Hi there~

Monday morning I will be ordering two Transition frames and the parts kits to go with them.

I will be getting two of these three. I still need to decide which two I'm getting. They will be as follows:

Transition Double- Size: Short
Purpose: Dirt Jump/Urban/Slalom/Short-Travel Freeride
Wheels: Transition Revolution 32 Front: 20mm Thru Axle Rear: 10mm Bolt-On
Fork: 1.125" Steerer Fox 36 Talas RC2 (adjustable travel) OR Fox 36 Float RC2 (lighter)
Brakes: Front: 6" Rear 6"

Transition BottleRocket- Size: Medium
Purpose: Medium-Travel Freeride
Wheels: Transition Revolution 32 Front: 20mm Thru Axle Rear: 10mm Bolt-On
Fork: 1.5" Steerer Fox 36 Talas RC2 (adjustable travel) OR Fox 36 Float RC2 (lighter)
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 Coil (7.875"x2.25") OR Fox DHX 5.0 Air 7.875"x2.25")
Brakes: Front: 8" Rear 6"

Transition Blindside- Size: Medium
Purpose: Downhill/Freeride
Wheels: Transition Revolution 36 Front: 20mm Thru Axle Rear 12mm Bolt-On
Fork: Fox 40 RC2 OR Marzocchi 888 ATA World Cup (frame has 1.5" Head-tube though I think both these forks are 1.1.25" steerer)
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 Coil (8.75"x2.75") OR Fox DHX 5.0 Air (8.75"x2.75")
Brakes" Front: 8" Rear: 6" or 8"

I am not entirely set on the fork options, though those are what I'm preferable to. I do like the idea of adjustable travel for different terrain/situations, though lighter is also a boon as well. Opinions? Additionally, I'm thinking I'm more partial to the DHX 5.0 Coil because (according to Fox's website specs) it's lighter, I would think it would be more durable than the DHX 5.0 Air. Any opinions on this?

I'm wondering what you all think I should spec the rest of my parts out with. Price is not really an object, but I don't wanna get carried away with stupid bling like all Ti bolts etc. I want to build good, solid bikes that will hold up and ride well. If I do a Double, I want it reasonably light and durable. If I do a BottleRocket, I want it light and durable. If I do a Blindside, I want it reasonably light and durable. Whatever I build, I want it to perform well.

Also, I'm not adverse (and seriously considering) Hammerschmidts on whatever I build for the bottom-bracket/crank/chainring/chain-guide/bash-guard setup. If I don't go Hammerschmidt, I will be running a single front with a chain-guide/bash-guard setup.

Tell me what to get for each bike and why:

Handlebar
Stem
Headset
Rear Shifter
Bottom Bracket
Cranks
Chainring
Chain-guide
Bash-guard
Rear Derailer- all bikes will have some sort of short-cage
Front Brake
Rear Brake
Cassette
Seatpost

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it, and hope to build myself the "perfect" rigs.

Coop out.

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 22:15 Quote
are you racing/ competing in any events?
and whats your budget.

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 22:39 Quote
If I race, it will be racing DH on a Blindside. I dunno if I'm gonna do any racing though. I just need to decide in my head whether I want 5.55" or 8.1" inches of travel and the corresponding extra weight with more travel. Or if I want a short travel bike... or whatever. I'm gonna just ride to ride really. you know...

Budget isn't really an issue. I'm gonna spend what I need to spend.

Coop

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 22:47 Quote
so same style of riding as me, im hoping to get a bottlerocket, i think 5.55 inches of travel is just enought for downhilling but also not that much, so it is still good for other types of riding. some parts i would sat are e-13 LG-1 of a gamut guide, hammerschmidt seems sweet but at $750-$800 i dont think its worth it. for the fork i would put a Totem coil ot 36 float/talas. myself i prefer DHX coils, i think they fell alot better. either x-9 or X-0 drivetrain, with a road cassette. brakes i would say juicy 5,7, saints, or codes. maybe order just the frames and build them to your own preffered specs.

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 23:19 Quote
Yeah- Hammerschmidts are kinda pricey but the benifts seem good- shifting in the front and groundclearance.

I'm buying the bikes as frames only and getting the parts seperately and doing my own builds.

I prefer coils too- I've always thought air shocks were kinda weird to ride and weird to setup. I could never get 'em where I thought they felt nice, but I haven't had any newer or higher end air shocks, so that could all be different.

The BottleRocket seems to be pretty much the sweet all-around bike. The only places I can see it lacking are super big hucks or jumps and going warpspeed across rocky bouncy. For the majority of the stuff I do, the BottleRocket really would be the primary ride. The Double is just for fun, and I do like freeriding on hardtails and shorttravels, and I like DJ'ing and urban a lot more generally on the HT/Shorttravel. The Blindside is for doing that other stuff...

Coop

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 at 23:29 Quote
hey man . Just letting you know in advance I don't know Too much about bikes but I'll try my best to help you. You'd said in the above post that the bottlerockey would only pack in big hucks... Considered a. Dirtbag? Just by suggestion to you::p

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 0:04 Quote
bottlerocket is nice i also have the same worries as you thought( such as how it will handle larger stunts and rocky terrain at high speed), you were saying that you had never tried a higher end air shock, i testrode a couple BR's one with DHX 5 air and the coil, the air definately pedaled better, but i still think i would prefer the coil but i was just trying them around the block and only went off some curbs and jumped some roots, where do you do most of your riding and what size stuff do you hit. Just wondering why you dont look at some other brands besides transition? as the other guy said a Dirtbag might be a good compromise between the BR and a blind side. I agree the double would definately be an awesome street and DJ bike. i in fact also want one for a DJ bike. (it seems we have really similar taste in bikes)

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 6:54 Quote
what frames did you end up ordering?

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 20:44 Quote
you should get the double and the blindside i just got a double and love it a 36 on it might be a little much i have a argyle and its perfect

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 21:07 Quote
i would get a blindside, for the other i dont know. i personally have a blindside and its pretty sweet. its 42 pounds, but if budget isnt a problem for you then you could obviously spend more and make it lighter.

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 21:28 Quote
dirtbag for the riding your doing. compromise out of the both and build an amazing dirtbag up!

FORK:maybe a marz' 66 ata
MAIN COMPONENTS:all saint components
CRANK:hammerschmidt FR
BARS, STEM:easton bars and stem
SEATPOST:thomson elite seatpost
SEAT:selle italia seat or something
WHEELS:the revolution wheelset
TIRES:maybe some kenda nevegals

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 21:37 Quote
i would say a blindside with a 40 and

-sunline v1 bars and direct mount stem
-x.9 shifter with x.9 or x.0 r/d
-e13 chainguide
-minions
-elixers or codes
-hussefelt cranks

and then my 2nd choice for you would be a bottlerocket with a dhx air. my friend used to dj on hit with an adjustable domain. so i would say bottlerocket with:

-36 talas and dhx air
-juicy 7s
-diety bars or other bars or your choice
-xt cranks

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 21:53 Quote
blindside and double if you ask me.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011964
Mobile Version of Website