What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 15:40 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
jumpman2334 wrote:
Hetman64 wrote:
And come on... What's the difference between enduro, FR and DH? I don't see much difference.
not necessarily a whole lot, a lot of the stuff out there is so well built and manufactured these days. although it is important to note the weight difference between a trail bike and a dh when talking brakes.
Rider weight fluctuates more then that difference...

Is there any rule for rider weight which brake manufacturers consider a "null" point?

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 15:45 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
good point, although we ware talking about different types of bikes.. also your weight doesnt usually change that much (unless you go on a diet).

as for your questiom hetman64. no... theyre just 'guides'. if you weigh something like 200lbs+, you would have to run 4 pot brakes either way, dh or trail bike.

if youre after new brakes, why dont you just tell us your weight, what bike its going on, what type of riding you do, and what brakes youve had in the past (and if you liked them or not), and we can probably narrow you down a set of brakes.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 15:53 Quote
jumpman2334 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
good point, although we ware talking about different types of bikes.. also your weight doesnt usually change that much (unless you go on a diet).

as for your questiom hetman64. no... theyre just 'guides'. if you weigh something like 200lbs+, you would have to run 4 pot brakes either way, dh or trail bike.

if youre after new brakes, why dont you just tell us your weight, what bike its going on, what type of riding you do, and what brakes youve had in the past (and if you liked them or not), and we can probably narrow you down a set of brakes.
I'm 250 all geared up and I have XTs on my Enduro bike with no issues.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 15:54 Quote
jumpman2334 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

I weight 70kg (154lbs), ride on a Demo 8 I (41lbs) and ride mostly on machine built tracks with many jumps and stuff. I'm after a rear brake so it doesn't have to be very powerful. I was running Avid Code's (2007 mod) and liked their performance.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 16:42 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:
jumpman2334 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

I weight 70kg (154lbs), ride on a Demo 8 I (41lbs) and ride mostly on machine built tracks with many jumps and stuff. I'm after a rear brake so it doesn't have to be very powerful. I was running Avid Code's (2007 mod) and liked their performance.

Xt should be fine for you.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 18:43 Quote
riish wrote:
Hetman64 wrote:
jumpman2334 wrote:

I weight almost 85 kg and I have a pair of saint's m820 on my remedy 2013, they are very good on control and modulation
Xt should be fine for you.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 18:49 Quote
Went from codes to XT. I'm really light and had no problems with power either way, if anything, the XT's have better power and modulation.

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 16:31 Quote
Just had my second ride on my new Shimano Zee's. Love the feel, awesome stopping power and great modulation. I would recommend them for DH, for sure.

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 0:43 Quote
maxtraxx wrote:
Just had my second ride on my new Shimano Zee's. Love the feel, awesome stopping power and great modulation. I would recommend them for DH, for sure.

yes, they are great, some say they are better than saintsBig Grin

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 2:35 Quote
I'd say they're better then saints too. After running both I ordered the modulation of the zee.

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 2:48 Quote
Ok, so... I was at my local bike shop yesterday to buy new rear brakes and they didn't have the Shimano XT's so I bought the Avid X0's since I read that they are basically renamed Elixir 9's and needed new brakes asap. When I opened the box and looked at the manual, it said that these brakes are meant for xc/trail and not heavy DH/lift acces riding. But to get me mindf*cked, I also read on the web that some people are actually running these brakes for DH... Now I don't know what to do... Should I go and return them or just keep them? I mean, I have mounted them on my bike and ridden around the house to check the stopping power and it's actually better then what it was on my Code's. Here, if I push hard enough on the lever, the wheel will lock which didn't happen with my Codes no matter how hard I pushed. I don't know if they will overheat or not... It's the only thing I'm worried about.

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 3:07 Quote
Plenty of people run xo's and xo trails for DH. Both work just fine.

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 5:22 Quote
I'd get X0 Trails, if your LBS has them. The power is up there and they have great modulation. But I'm sure you'll be fine either way...

Still prefer my Hope E4's though Smile

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 5:26 Quote
Sounds like your codes were in need of a serious overhaul, if you couldn't even lock them. But you should be fine with them tbh, I know a few people running them for dh brakes. If you get worried about heat build up, get some Shimano ice tec rotors.

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 6:02 Quote
I have heard good things about the new Guide brakes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024452
Mobile Version of Website