Why all this BS about neck brace?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Why all this BS about neck brace?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 10:18 Quote
Ok, so here's the deal. Anyone beside me that think this "you must be pro to wear a neck brace" has become a bit rediculous? I mean, back in the days, people had the same argument for wearing a safety jacket, but nowadays almost every amateur downhiller has one. Why should a safety gear only be allowed for pro's? Wouldn't a less experienced rider need safety as well?
I think a big problem is all the posers who only use it because the pros are using it, but what if you think that your neck is just as important as your back, shoulders and forearms? Shouldnät you then be allowed to wear one without getting all the bs about not being pro and just posing? I will probably get one, even though I wont come near the levle of skill that pros has, but it would mostly be because I often ride for myself and a neck brace would definetely make me fell safer in case something happened. So what do you pinkbikers think about this?

Another big problem is the high cost (about 300$), will a cheaper model ever be released or will it stay in the same price (like safety jackets)?

O+
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
What exactly is the point of one? I looked up some pics and an article on another site but that didnt tell me much other than that they look retarded and pretty pointless.

Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
I think they are a great idea if you are riding aggressively pro or not. When I have the money, I am definitely thinking about purchasing one. I have had a couple of bad falls onto my head, and although I made it through without serious injury, I would feel a lot better with a neck brace.Cook Native Ninja

Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
loach55 wrote:
What exactly is the point of one? I looked up some pics and an article on another site but that didnt tell me much other than that they look retarded and pretty pointless.

they keep your neck from breaking. when your neck suddenly swings farther then it should, the helmet its the brace saving your neck.

far from pointless.

i would definitely want one though. the only problem is that they are super expensive. a half decent one can cost you about $500 which is ridiculous for what your actually getting. hopefully 661 or someone comes out with a cheap model, like $100.

Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
loach55 wrote:

Well, they protect your neck from extreme forward/rearward and sideward movement. They lower the risk of neck injury up to 1000 times.

Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 10:33 Quote
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30203

you could use one of these, may not offer the same standard as a leatt brace but it could still save you from serious injury also at a fraction of the price?

Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 10:34 Quote
What it does is minimize the movement range of your upper spine. If you happen to be some-one who won´t let go of his bars when bailing you might end up crashing onto your head, right angled. This compresses your cervical spine, possibly resulting in severe damage to the vertebrae and, as a consequence, pinching or even shearing nerves.

A remote friend of mine crashed in summer from a ladder construction, fell about 2m and landed head first. Though it was soft ground in the woods and enough room to slide down the impact energy, docs in hospital later found out that the dorsal process of his 6th vertebrae was broken and the ligamentum anterior was torn. This was in August, today he´s able to make his thumb and index finger touch, but he cannot really exert force. They sound veeeeeeeeeery reasonable!

Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 11:47 Quote
Basically instead of a neck breaking crash you break your collar bone.

FL
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 11:52 Quote
i personally wouldent want one because they look really restrictive and it just dosent feel as fun riding down the track feeling like your in a spaceman suit, the more protection i wear the more i feel i am at risk of injuring myself because i am wearing all this armour which shows this must be pretty dangerous but if im out just having fun just with my helmet i dont worry about all things like that and just enjoy riding alot more

Posted: Dec 26, 2008 at 4:21 Quote
I wear one in motocross, the leatt. Probably going to pick up the new alpinestar when it comes out though. I have heard lots of good and bad, and can't say it has ever done anything for me but it is nice to know it is there. I have heard numerous reports of badly broken collarbones, and a couple reports of broken sternums from high speed crashes and landing on your chest. Probably not that big of a problem on a mt bike though.

Posted: Dec 26, 2008 at 4:42 Quote
i think its a simple case of deciding if what you're doing is dangerous enought o warrant splashing out 300 quid on a device that may never be needed...
however, they do save you from spinal injury, whilst adding more risk to the areas that the impact will be transfered to ie. ribs sternum scapula etc...

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 3:02 Quote
I have a cheap alternative.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd308/NicInFlames/leopard-travel-pillow.jpg
Blow-up Travel Pillow - just a coupla $'s and it is Leopard print!!!! What more could you want.
HAHAHAHA

Ok, Seriousy- I agree totally with Jinx.

I think one's neck is more important than worrying about people calling one a poser.
I mean really, they should Grow-up.

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 4:55 Quote
jinx wrote:
Ok, so here's the deal. Anyone beside me that think this "you must be pro to wear a neck brace" has become a bit rediculous? I mean, back in the days, people had the same argument for wearing a safety jacket, but nowadays almost every amateur downhiller has one. Why should a safety gear only be allowed for pro's? Wouldn't a less experienced rider need safety as well?
I think a big problem is all the posers who only use it because the pros are using it, but what if you think that your neck is just as important as your back, shoulders and forearms? Shouldnät you then be allowed to wear one without getting all the bs about not being pro and just posing? I will probably get one, even though I wont come near the levle of skill that pros has, but it would mostly be because I often ride for myself and a neck brace would definetely make me fell safer in case something happened. So what do you pinkbikers think about this?

Another big problem is the high cost (about 300$), will a cheaper model ever be released or will it stay in the same price (like safety jackets)?

Let your riding do the talking and don't worry about those kids. If they think it's dumb to wear awesome safety gear because they don't want to be posers, we will probably outlive them.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 5:13 Quote
Yea worrying about what people think is for teenagers.
Lesser-skilled riders will need protection just as much as skilled ones since we make more mistakes that can end in crashes. So there's no reason for not wearing one.

I personally know the guys from Leatt here in Cape Town, and they do serious testing with the braces. They do work. Most riders here ride with braces and apparently there's no restriction to your movement.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010090
Mobile Version of Website