Budget M6 Build help

PB Forum :: Downhill
Budget M6 Build help
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 18:04 Quote
rohan- wrote:
wtt-tmr wrote:
rohan- wrote:

and guess what bikes arnt the only thing in this world.
yes for you thomas Razz
comming from you thats funny
lol
I know

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 18:05 Quote
wtt-tmr wrote:
rohan- wrote:
wtt-tmr wrote:
yes for you thomas Razz
comming from you thats funny
lol
I know
lol

Mod
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 18:06 Quote
Why buy a very lightweight and competition oriented frame that is sub 10 pounds if all you can afford are mediocre parts? These parts will weigh that bike down and you will lose all the competitive advantage that the FRO bikes are supposed to have! Although it is your bike and you can do whatever you like, I see no point in going with one of the highest end frames in the industry if you are just going to use cheaper parts to build up the bike. The frame is only as good as the rider and every other component on your bike. I would never “waste” ~$3000 on a frame if all I could afford were mediocre parts. It just doesn’t make sense to buy the best of the best in terms of frames if you can’t build the rest of the bike up properly. Sure, having the Intense name is cool and all but these aren’t meant to be a cheap build by any means.

As for upgrading when you get the money, your used parts are worth pennies on the dollar. It doesn’t matter how new or unused they are. They are still pretty much worthless. Therefore, you won’t get what you paid for them even if you get them at a discounted price. I would just get a bike that you can build up “properly” without sacrificing the build quality.

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 18:09 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Why buy a very lightweight and competition oriented frame that is sub 10 pounds if all you can afford are mediocre parts? These parts will weigh that bike down and you will lose all the competitive advantage that the FRO bikes are supposed to have! Although it is your bike and you can do whatever you like, I see no point in going with one of the highest end frames in the industry if you are just going to use cheaper parts to build up the bike. The frame is only as good as the rider and every other component on your bike. I would never “waste” ~$3000 on a frame if all I could afford were mediocre parts. It just doesn’t make sense to buy the best of the best in terms of frames if you can’t build the rest of the bike up properly. Sure, having the Intense name is cool and all but these aren’t meant to be a cheap build by any means.

As for upgrading when you get the money, your used parts are worth pennies on the dollar. It doesn’t matter how new or unused they are. They are still pretty much worthless. Therefore, you won’t get what you paid for them even if you get them at a discounted price. I would just get a bike that you can build up “properly” without sacrificing the build quality.
I totaly understand you but I think its an error buying a good frame and putting sh*t part on it like you say when you buy these bike you need to invest in them and have a good build

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 12:28 Quote
drop the saints and get gravity lights.. drop the seat/ seatpost go with something from sdg x9 shifter for x7 deity dirty thirty instead of sunline all will save you money and weight! minus the sifter

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
This is the Revised build. please just helpful comment.
the wheels i am getting complete from a friend for $200 USD so please no sh!t about them.

FRAME Intense M6
REAR SHOCK 10.5 x 3.5 Manitou Revox
FORK Rock Shox Boxxer Team w/ flat crown 203 mm travel
HANDLEBAR Funn Fatboy DH Riser Bars - 1.2" Rise - 31.8mm - 29.5" Wide
GRIPS ODI Ruffin
STEM FUNN RSX Version II Stem - 31.8 (for Rock Shox Boxxer)
HEADSET FSA Orbit IS Headset
HEADSET REDUCER e.13 Headset Reducer Cups
BB FSA MEGAEXO, 83MM
CRANK Gravity Light Cranks/BB Mega Exo - 165mm, 83 BB - No Chainrings
RINGS E.13 Guide Ring 36 tooth
PEDALS Easton Flatboy
CHAIN SRAM PC-951
SADDLE SDG, I-Fly
SEATPOST SDG I-Beam, 31.6 diameter by 287mm long
F. HUB Hadley
R. HUB Hadley
RIMS Mavic 729
SPOKES DT swiss
F. DER E.13 LG.1 Guide W/ Taco
R. DER SRAM X.9 Short-Cage rear derailleur
SHIFTER SRAM X.7 Trigger Shifter REAR - 9spd 1:1
CASSETTE SRAM PG 950 9 speed 11-26 cassette
F.BRAKES Avid Juicy 5 Disc Brake - Front - 203mm
R.BRAKES Avid Juicy 5 Disc Brake - Rear - 203mm
TIRES Maxxis High Roller 26" x 2.5 - ST

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:23 Quote
those are some heavy wheels. but go for the x9 shifter. it's worth the money cause it's metal and plastic where as the x7 is just plastic and the x9 feels sooooo much better. even if you are on a budget, get the x9

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:28 Quote
pake wrote:
those are some heavy wheels. but go for the x9 shifter. it's worth the money cause it's metal and plastic where as the x7 is just plastic and the x9 feels sooooo much better. even if you are on a budget, get the x9
true. i think x9 looks much better too and it is much easier to work on.

Mod
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:30 Quote
Why not just get a reducer headset instead of headsets and reducer cups? You are adding more stack height to a frame that already has a super slack angle and more weight.

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:31 Quote
skiforfree33 wrote:
pake wrote:
An X9 is definitely harder to work on than an X7...

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:37 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:
skiforfree33 wrote:
pake wrote:
yeah, the x7 is simpler, but the x9 is worth the money

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:38 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Why not just get a reducer headset instead of headsets and reducer cups? You are adding more stack height to a frame that already has a super slack angle and more weight.
what would you suggest?

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:44 Quote
pake wrote:
foxmtbing wrote:
skiforfree33 wrote:

I guess i should have been more specific. it as a small profile so you are able to run it up closer to the brake if that is you preference. you are able to a matchmaker too i do not believe you can do this on an x7

Mod
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:45 Quote
To be honest, not that frame. The geometry is super unique and very different than many other DH bikes on the market. It feels completely different which takes time to get used to. There are BB issues with it being super low, cranks hitting the ground even with thin profile pedals and 165mm arms, super slack headtube angle, and the weight isn't that impressive for a bike with that price tag. Yes, it is an Intense and they are great bikes and utilize VPP better than Santa Cruz does but there are equally as good of bikes out there that are cheaper and just as good. Like I've said before, you aren't going to be gaining this bike's competitive advantage with the components you are going to be using for the build so I don't see the point in having "the best" frame out there with mediocre parts. The weight of these components will add up quickly.

"twocents:

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
skiforfree33 wrote:
pake wrote:
foxmtbing wrote:

I guess i should have been more specific. it as a small profile so you are able to run it up closer to the brake if that is you preference. you are able to a matchmaker too i do not believe you can do this on an x7

I see what your saying but, changing the cables can be a pain in the ass when it comes to X9 and XO derailuers compared to X7.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024193
Mobile Version of Website