How do i make my forks plush?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do i make my forks plush?
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 18:32 Quote
willbikeforbeer wrote:
The darts freeze up all the time cause they have plastic dampers that have a life of about 10-15 rides. While cheap (and sorta easy) to replace I would upgrade that fork as soon as possible!

Actually the main damper is alloy with some plastic parts. Darts aren't the only forks with plastic parts in them either. Pretty much every fork has some plastic parts in them.

Plastic isn't necessarily more suscebtible to changes in temperature than alloy or steel either. Many plastics can with stand incredible temperature extremes.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 19:10 Quote
dicka2k8 wrote:
my mate put 2 stroke oil on his forks when they went hard and they went really soft and plush lol

That works really well on the dirt jam series of forks from marzocchi as well as a model or two of the drop off.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 19:19 Quote
Don't do it, unless it leaking from too much pressure.

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 1:17 Quote
Or you could just buy some better forks?

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 1:50 Quote
haha, new fork would be my first choice, ive heard about problems with the lowers snapping and the internals just pooping out. Check the internals, if its good, look into lighter weight oil and/or springs

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 1:55 Quote
davemud wrote:
The Launch TA 100 and TA 130 are oil damped the T8 100 and T8 130 are not oil damped according to the spec list on RSTs website. Both forks are listed as coil spring and MCU. MCU is the elastomer and both forks have multiple top out bumbers. The top out bumbers would be the elastomers.

The TA series has the coil spring and bumpers in the left and the damping in the right leg. The T8 series has the coils and top out bumbers in both legs. Unless they are using the top out bumpers to preload the coil spring its unlikely they are affecting travel in the cold. It depends on how the fork works but it is more likely the oil if the fork in question is a TA series fork and not a T8 series fork.

its a Launch T8
will it work better if kept warm?

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 8:24 Quote
Rattsl wrote:
bigquotesthis has happened on my darts just today and i wanta to know the same thing
how many do you have?Confused [/Quote]
wtf, thats what you say, sounds better than this happened on my dart today, doesn't it?

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 8:27 Quote
FRbenji wrote:
Or you could just buy some better forks?
cant afford too ..

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 10:21 Quote
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
Rattsl wrote:
bigquotesthis has happened on my darts just today and i wanta to know the same thing
how many do you have?Confused
wtf, thats what you say, sounds better than this happened on my dart today, doesn't it?[/Quote]
no... its the way everyone states it....fork, my Rockshox Dart, thats what it says on the label and company,not DartsRolleyes

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 10:23 Quote
Rattsl wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
Rattsl wrote:
wtf, thats what you say, sounds better than this happened on my dart today, doesn't it?
no... its the way everyone states it....fork, my Rockshox Dart, thats what it says on the label and company,not DartsRolleyes [/Quote]

everyone retarded maybe states it that way, you dont make a word plural if theres only one of something

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 10:24 Quote
dunno if this has been said but try rockshox judy butter?? only a few quid but worked on my splices until i got ride of them

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 10:26 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
Rattsl wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
[/Quoten]
no... its the way everyone states it....fork, my Rockshox Dart, thats what it says on the label and company,not DartsRolleyes

everyone retarded maybe states it that way, you dont make a word plural if theres only one of something[/Quote]
k sorry guys, i got it wrong

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 10:30 Quote
antster94 wrote:
davemud wrote:
The Launch TA 100 and TA 130 are oil damped the T8 100 and T8 130 are not oil damped according to the spec list on RSTs website. Both forks are listed as coil spring and MCU. MCU is the elastomer and both forks have multiple top out bumbers. The top out bumbers would be the elastomers.

The TA series has the coil spring and bumpers in the left and the damping in the right leg. The T8 series has the coils and top out bumbers in both legs. Unless they are using the top out bumpers to preload the coil spring its unlikely they are affecting travel in the cold. It depends on how the fork works but it is more likely the oil if the fork in question is a TA series fork and not a T8 series fork.

its a Launch T8

I'm waiting for a response from RST regarding how the TA and T8 are affected by cold and what can be done about it. I'll keep you posted. If you put the bike inside long enough for it to warm up to room temperature and the fork function improved the issue is related to the cold. Does the fork not compress as easily or does it compress ok and not rebound as fast as normal or is it affected in both compression and rebound?

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
davemud wrote:
antster94 wrote:
davemud wrote:

its a Launch T8

I'm waiting for a response from RST regarding how the TA and T8 are affected by cold and what can be done about it. I'll keep you posted.

cheers mate Big Grin

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
Rattsl wrote:

everyone retarded maybe states it that way, you dont make a word plural if theres only one of something
k sorry guys, i got it wrong[/Quote]people see forks vs fork thread

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013255
Mobile Version of Website