Good SS Tensioner for Vert drop outs?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Good SS Tensioner for Vert drop outs?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 10:41 Quote
roger-dodger wrote:
jcc1015 wrote:
I just don't see how finding the right tension is more functional than a tensioner, but ok. And I am not that concerned about weight so a tensioner doesn't really change much. I just see no benefeit of going without a tensioner.
1. Its lighter
2. Looks cleaner
3. one less thing to break
4. you dont have to worry about bending it
5.There noisy
6.Annoying
7.If you find the right tension wh would you want one?
theres more but im not going to type them all out you get the idea.

+1 agreed , if i didnt need a selection of gears on my DH bike id run single speed (but then id need a tensioner) but whatever. i wish i could make my bike look clean be efficient and run single speed with just the chain.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 12:12 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
roger-dodger wrote:
jcc1015 wrote:
I just don't see how finding the right tension is more functional than a tensioner, but ok. And I am not that concerned about weight so a tensioner doesn't really change much. I just see no benefeit of going without a tensioner.
1. Its lighter
2. Looks cleaner
3. one less thing to break
4. you dont have to worry about bending it
5.There noisy
6.Annoying
7.If you find the right tension wh would you want one?
theres more but im not going to type them all out you get the idea.

+1 agreed , if i didnt need a selection of gears on my DH bike id run single speed (but then id need a tensioner) but whatever. i wish i could make my bike look clean be efficient and run single speed with just the chain.

Another option (though more expensive) would be to use an eccentric bottom bracket or rear hub. Although it might actually end up weighing more, it would work like a charm and look really trick.

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 10:38 Quote
bigquotesAnother option (though more expensive) would be to use an eccentric bottom bracket or rear hub.
What's that?

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 10:52 Quote
The axle can actually be oscilated on the shell to create the proper chain tension. The axle wont be centered in the shell.

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 10:52 Quote
eccentric bottom bracket is not something you can add to a standard frame

you can buy frames (usually made for singlespeed setup for XC riding) that have an oversized bottom bracket shell and a special eccentric bottom bracket that can rotate within the shell on an off-centre axis to provide chain tension adjustment when running a singlespeed setup on a vertical dropout

it gives the same feature as running a frame with horizontal dropouts (where you pull the wheel back to adjust the chain tension when running singlespeed) but with vertical dropouts which some prefer as its easier to install the rear wheel and cannot slip under high pedalling torque like with horizontal dropouts (unless you add chain tugs)

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
cant u get ones tht go right in ur drop outs they go in between ur drop outs,n ur wheel qr or nuts, and pull it back farther, thts wat i was planing on gettin (im goin ss b4 spring)

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
onetimetwotime ran an eccentric hub on his STP, maybe drop him a message about it.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:20 Quote
dubhex wrote:
onetimetwotime ran an ECCENTRIC hub on his STP, maybe drop him a message about it.

eccentric, sry, i dont follow?

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:20 Quote
or does tht mean only ss hub?

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
Read the rest of the thread, an eccentric hub is something like an eccentric bottom bracket.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:25 Quote
use a chain guide itll look better

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:28 Quote
o, ok, i think i understand the eccentric part, i think my dirt bike rear drop outs r like tht

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:30 Quote
Oh yeah I should note that unlike eccentric BBs, which only some frames have, an eccentric hub will fit any dropout, the chain tensioning system is integrated into the hub itself.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 17:32 Quote
yeah a simple mrp or blackspire single retainer chain guide would look mint

http://www.mountainspeed.com/product.php?section=product&item=lrp2

OR

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/263221/0/0

(top right one for the blackspire one with an adapter would make the easiest chain tension adjustment)

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 21:07 Quote
or you could buy my "convert" as posted earlier.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021475
Mobile Version of Website