Rounded Crankbolt... How can i sort it!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rounded Crankbolt... How can i sort it!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 5:24 Quote
The 8mm alun key hole has rounded and i need it off so i can put on chain device and replace BB plus chain ring...

Ive had one suggestion to drill it out but not sure what damage i could do to my frame...?

ANY IDEAS WELCOME PLEEEEEEEASE!

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 5:28 Quote
yeah you are going to need to drill it.. i would use one of those bits that bite into stripped bolts.. you would only ruin whats already wrecked.

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 5:29 Quote
MsIsleGlos wrote:
The 8mm alun key hole has rounded and i need it off so i can put on chain device and replace BB plus chain ring...

Ive had one suggestion to drill it out but not sure what damage i could do to my frame...?

ANY IDEAS WELCOME PLEEEEEEEASE!
I HAD THIS SAME PROB WHAT I DID IS DRILLED it out with a bolt extrackter and that worked for me a got it at a tsc store

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 10:20 Quote
typx wrote:
yeah you are going to need to drill it.. i would use one of those bits that bite into stripped bolts.. you would only ruin whats already wrecked.

same thing happened to me and i used a bolt extractor but the head broke off inside the bolt, the bolt extractor is very hard but rather fragile due to the tempering processes it goes under to harden the metal, if you are using a bolt extractor be careful not to let this happen because drilling out a hardened bolt head is almost impossible. i took mine to a metal shop where they took it out with a vertical mill. if your stuck and have a welder try welding a nut to the outside of the bolt. this won't damage your frame however id put a wet towel over it to protect the paint job

FL
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 10:25 Quote
hammer a big torx key into it that is slightly bigger then 8mm and when you have got it well in tight undo it

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 4:57 Quote
superglue he right size of alan key in let it dry and then do buisness as usual exept ull have to get a new bolt

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 4:59 Quote
STINKY-MINTY-1 wrote:
superglue he right size of alan key in let it dry and then do buisness as usual exept ull have to get a new bolt

or epoxy glue

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 5:42 Quote
ldeere683 wrote:
hammer a big torx key into it that is slightly bigger then 8mm and when you have got it well in tight undo it

Salute

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
i have tried everything here. none did work..except the welding.. i took a threaded rod coupling and welded it on the out side of the bolt and it came right on.. mine were also a little torqued to much so it was hard. i broke the easy out bolt extractor twice.. so try all the stuff they suggested and if none works find a welder..make sure you cover the crank and frame with tape

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009405
Mobile Version of Website