Shiver, how old is too old?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shiver, how old is too old?
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:51 Quote
Clearly you did not read the rest of the post.

The stanchions and crowns AND internals were replaced in 2005, and I have not yet bought it. I am going to take it apart tomorrow night to make sure that the internals are in fact NOT the original 01 internals, if they aren't then I will buy it, however it won't be an 01 now will it.

If it were a straight up 01, I would have taken everyones advice pretty quick, however that is not the case.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:53 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
I'm not sure of the price yet. He wants 250, but there's no way I am paying that much for it. Atleast, not if it is in fact 100% 2001.

i managed to get an 04 shiver for £100 and he paid postage, top guy

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:57 Quote
That was a hell of a deal. Was there anything wrong with it?

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 13:10 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
That was a hell of a deal. Was there anything wrong with it?

nope all fine Razz

EDIT: And it had had new seals and oil like a month before!

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Clearly you did not read the rest of the post.

The stanchions and crowns AND internals were replaced in 2005, and I have not yet bought it. I am going to take it apart tomorrow night to make sure that the internals are in fact NOT the original 01 internals, if they aren't then I will buy it, however it won't be an 01 now will it.

If it were a straight up 01, I would have taken everyones advice pretty quick, however that is not the case.

-ts fine that you'll get to take it apart and all, but do you know what you're looking for? You know the difference between the two? How much are you going to pay? 200? I have one and have owned one before. I was the service mgr at a marzocchi certified shop. If you have any questions or concerns, id be happy to help. I've had mine completely. Dissasembled quite a few times.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 13:13 Quote
I'm about 99% sure I can tell the difference, but it would be nice if you could tell me one thing that would make them stand out.

I've had my HSCV super T apart a few times, however I have never actually torn rite into the cartridge.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
my shiver dc is pricelessly plush. never riden a fork like it. may weight a bit more than most but its a top class fork. service it evry year or 2 and it will go for years mine are 03. you dont feel the flex that they have, which is why they get slated so much

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 13:32 Quote
I have no doubt that you would feel the flex, just not to the extent that people make it seem. Clearly if something flex's as much as these forks do, you would feel it in the ride. Once you account for how much shorter the fork becomes and how much overlap there is even with just the sag, the fork becomes quite stiff, but it would still be noticeably flexy over a traditional fork, but only if you were looking for it.

That's what I am willing to bet coming from a mechanical stand point.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 13:54 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
I have no doubt that you would feel the flex, just not to the extent that people make it seem. Clearly if something flex's as much as these forks do, you would feel it in the ride. Once you account for how much shorter the fork becomes and how much overlap there is even with just the sag, the fork becomes quite stiff, but it would still be noticeably flexy over a traditional fork, but only if you were looking for it.

That's what I am willing to bet coming from a mechanical stand point.
genuinely doesnt feel any different to any other fork iv ridden. not noticable until you clamp the wheel between your legs and turn the bars.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 14:09 Quote
Don't bitch him out dude, a Shiver is an awesome fork. If well maintained, they're almost indestructible.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 7:05 Quote
There's a bit of missinformation in this thread...

The carts are identical in all of the Shivers, from the first all the way to the last.

The only structural difference is that in '02 the top caps got bleed ports, to periodically relieve the air overpressure built up from it being a USD fork.

Shivers are awesome forks. Very tunable. It will take a beating and last a long time.

Enjoy.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 7:14 Quote
I fail to understand how HSCV is "very tunable". I've never torn into the damper itself (I have an hscv super T), but I am guessing it uses shim stacks and you can tune through those?

On what grounds are you claiming that they used the same cartridges all the way through?

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 7:26 Quote
They changed the name after the first year, but the damping was structurally the same. Like mentioned, the only difference between any of the Shivers was the anodizing colour, and the addition of the bleedports and lower stanchion guards in '02.

The whole point of building/calling it a 'Shiver' was that it was built using their Shiver MX technology: openbath shimstack. They still use the identical system on their MX line...

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 8:13 Quote
I'm intrigued as to what these "problems" are that people speak of if this is the case.

I am very confused as to whom I should believe, however for now I am sticking with two different cartridges from 01 to 03 or whenever they changed it.

Mod
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 9:45 Quote
The cartridges were changed in '02. When I was looking at rebuilding my '03 Shiver, in 2005 I sent an email to Marzocchi and they said unless there is something broken with your fork, there really isn't a need to rebuild it as the internals are the same. They sent me a price breakdown of everything from the oil to the dampeners/cartridges. It was about $1000 to rebuild it with new oil, seals, springs, cartridges, and decals. The stanction tubes would have stayed silver and the stanctions weren't scratched so there was no need to replace them on mine. You can send them an email and ask them too. They got back to me in about 48 hours or so.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.042448
Mobile Version of Website