Weight-Loss and Drilling Tutorial *Pics Included*

PB Forum :: Tutorials
Weight-Loss and Drilling Tutorial *Pics Included*
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
When reading this article, make sure to pay close attention to the text and not just the images.

Today we will start with the brakeset. We picked up this set (rear brake and rotor) second-hand in very good condition for very cheap, because the original owner decided he wanted to try to lose some weight on the rotor and drilled it. Here are some pics:

photo

photo

photo

As you can see, the rotor does have a large, separating crack running through the braking surface, so we attempted to use elmers glue to correct this problem.

photo

Well, that didn't go over too well, so we tried duct tape! Remember our motto, if all else fails, duct tape prevails!

photo

Look at that! It looks like brand new!

We are now going to continue our original owners weight-loss project by drilling out some spokes! Use caution and eyewear when you do this.

photo

photo

Uh-oh! Looks like we got a little carried away and made a mistake.

photo

Thats OK, nothing a little bit of duct tape can't fix! Here's the final product:

photo

Good as new, plus we lost 13g! Onto the next step: brake fluid substitutes! Our favorite is Elmers Glue. It's much lighter and ever performs better than DOT fluid!

Begin by opening the bleed port and drain all the fluid and fill with elmers glue.

photo

It should look like this when your done:

photo

You don't have to wipe the excess, because it just comes right off when it hardens. Screw the bleed port cap back on and remove the lever port and do the same.

photo

photo

photo

Heres what it looks like on the rotor:

photo

And here's our final product:

photo

I hope this lesson helped! Post any questions, comments or suggestions!

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
hahahahahhahahhahahahahhaha, thats probubly the funniest thing ive seen so far. great way to loose weight

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:39 Quote
LMFAO best read of my life.
man i gotta thank you, becoause of this, my ride is now 16g lighter, and and still has that flashy new look
although im having a little trouble with some break rub, any sugestions?

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:40 Quote
haha duct tape fixes all!

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:41 Quote
bike-person wrote:
man i gotta thanks you, becoause of this, my ride is now 16g lighter, and and still has that flashy new look

You could always try drilling Razz

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:43 Quote
TheAngryTomato wrote:
bike-person wrote:
man i gotta thanks you, becoause of this, my ride is now 16g lighter, and and still has that flashy new look

how about some weldingtup

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:45 Quote
speddownhiller wrote:
TheAngryTomato wrote:
bike-person wrote:

how about some weldingtup

But wouldn't that add weight?

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
ooops... didnt think about that, try melting some off. should do the trick

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
You are officially a f*cking Champion for creating this thread, seriously, this thread is so AWESOME!! PLease do more!

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:47 Quote
speddownhiller wrote:
ooops... didnt think about that, try melting some off. should do the trick

Oh we already tried applying some heat to the rotor to lose weight by burning the metal, but it didn't really work.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:47 Quote
mtbdarren318 wrote:
You are officially a f*cking Champion for creating this thread, seriously, this thread is so AWESOME!! PLease do more!

We mighnt do one for the front brake once my friend gets his crazy 22mm mounts for his codes.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:50 Quote
hahahhahahaha this i so funny lol great idea!!!! haha

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:51 Quote
Can I use clear Elmers' glue? I think it has better heat-induced fade resistance and clear stuff is always lighter.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:53 Quote
hustler wrote:
Can I use clear Elmers' glue? I think it has better heat-induced fade resistance and clear stuff is always lighter.

Oh yes of course, although white elmers glue turns clear too and hardens...oh wait...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020152
Mobile Version of Website