As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:29 Quote
when people come in with a puncture and theres a big dollop of dog shit on the tyre now thats anoying apart from that i hate fixing my own bike because i cant afford myself

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:39 Quote
When people bring cheap bikes back after removing the "broken" parts and then expecting new replacement ones for free. Someone bought in a bike which was 6 weeks old. The rear tyre was bald. The back v brake only had one pad. The front Rotor had been taken off because it was "bent" (i suspect warped.. what do you expect on a bike that cost the price of 2 good rotors in 1st place) and the caliper and lever had been taken off. He pointed out the problems to us and then asked What we were gonna do about it. WTF. Why take the parts of and throw them away. As soon as theres a problem he admitted he knew he was suposed 2 bring it back to us. Not take off the broken parts and bin them. And thats the other thing. How can u possibly break a brake pad on a bike like that. IDIOTS.

Then the manager who is knows nothing also expects us to repair it...

rant over Big Grin

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:43 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
beneathmiskin1 wrote:
i really hate adjusting shitty bmx brakes

lol there really isnt any point is there? They dont work whatever you do lol. Then the bmxers just remove them anyway after you have spent ages trying to get them to at least bring the bike to a slow lol.

exactly, im gunna explain to my boss that we should keep the brakes off of 50% of bikes, and if the buyer wishes we will put them on lol

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:44 Quote
lol its good to have these threads and bash out your fraustrations after holding it in all day and being all nice and polite to customers isnt it? lol

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:47 Quote
i abso lutly hate people that crsh and then blame it on the bika and want a refund or throw the bike down a hill and expect us to fix it. one guy came in and started to rant about the fact that loads had broken off his bikee then a customes came over and said "i saw you in the forrrest with your mates throwing into a tree" and this guy just left. that was a good day

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:54 Quote
cotty42 wrote:
i abso lutly hate people that crsh and then blame it on the bika and want a refund or throw the bike down a hill and expect us to fix it. one guy came in and started to rant about the fact that loads had broken off his bikee then a customes came over and said "i saw you in the forrrest with your mates throwing into a tree" and this guy just left. that was a good day

lol thats good stuff

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:55 Quote
Another annoying thing is when you have just spent ages nicely setting up the customers bike and then they just chuck it in the back of their car (gear side down, bending the rear mech) They obviously dont notice. Go out for a ride, change to the rear cogs closest to the spokes and obviously coz the mech is now bent it goes into the wheel causing loads of damage. At which point they come back to you saying "Oh I was just riding along and this happened and you have just serviced my bike" And then expect you to put it right free of charge. Ha! Think again. I can tell straight away when this happens. Its amazing how much a bike can tell u even if the owner wont. Just like once we had a kid and his bike kept coming in with the cranks falling off and bent this broken that and the parent was always complaining saying oh why does this keep happening you obviously arent repairing it right. Then one day I got sick of it and I said well look madam. The pedals and the ends of the handles bars and the rear mech all have scuffs on them. Clearly the bike is regularly thrown down and generally not looked after. Also both the wheels are buckelled and the seals on the forks are blown. And once again the left hand crank has falled off due to it rounding off the square taper bottom bracket. I then say to the kid "do you jump it by any chance?" (Being that this was an XC bike at best lol) He then admits it there and then as he hasnt got a leg to stand on. The parent goes ape. And the load is off our backs lol.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
i dont work in a mecanics shop but i think it's a bitch to bleed brakes!!!Dead Horse

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
I hate it when people ask us to bleed HS33s. Its soo easy. They all come with instructions on how to do it too...

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
DarkElement101 wrote:
i dont work in a mecanics shop but i think it's a bitch to bleed brakes!!!Dead Horse

If they are avids, hayes, or maguras yes. Coz you have to mess about with a bloody bleed kit. If they are shimanos or hopes. No problem. Dead easy to bleed :-) No bleed kit required.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 16:06 Quote
Just thought of another really annoying job. Building those bloody kids bikes and having to put handle bar tassells on and dolly seat and stabilizers, and little handle bar bags, and fluffy seat covers etc etc all while trying not to get your oily hands all over it lol.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 10:38 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
Just thought of another really annoying job. Building those bloody kids bikes and having to put handle bar tassells on and dolly seat and stabilizers, and little handle bar bags, and fluffy seat covers etc etc all while trying not to get your oily hands all over it lol.

haha yeah ino what you mean the little falcons and bumpers are the worst, they make me sick, luckily i dont have to do much of them anymore

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
Setting up cheap Front Mechs, i realy hate them more than any other job!

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 10:51 Quote
cjmcbrierty wrote:
Setting up cheap Front Mechs, i realy hate them more than any other job!

I feel your pain they get worse every year. Cheap spec and trek are the worst fricking low limit screw all the way out fd bottoming on the frame already and it wont drop to granny arrrgggg.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 10:51 Quote
changing grip shift gear cables on a £80 bike bought from toys r us! sooo fidly its horrific.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031952
Mobile Version of Website