As a bicycle mechanic list your common and worst injuries on the job

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
As a bicycle mechanic list your common and worst injuries on the job
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:42 Quote
Ok here we go lol. Im terrible for getting a little bit too involved with the job at hand and concentrating so hard that I make silly mistakes. Here are some of my examples:

Aligning disc caliper = finger in disc rotor pulls skin out from under nail. Ouch

setting up gears on a bike for display in the shop so no pedals on it yet. Turning the cranks with finger, finger then slides up the crank goes under chain and around the cogs and under front mech. Ouch

Un-doing rediculously tight cassette/freehub body = skim nuckels on spokes. Ouch.

Adjusting V-brake spring tention and that sodding spring pings out and cracks ya one on the finger nail which then starts to turn blue/black. Ouch.

Pumping up tyre, realise that it isnt quite seated on the rim, too late...BANG. Ringing in the ears. "What? I cant hear you" lol

Banging head on work stand when bent down to pick up those constantly dropped nuts and bolts. (Thats if you can find them. Im still certain that there must be a place in every workshop where they all go to hide)

and prob my most painful of all was when I was trying to undo a stupidly tight crank bolt which then decided to suddenly round off unfortunatly at this point I was really putting my body weight into in order to undo it and subsequently had my face rather close to the bar I was using to try to undo and yup u guess it. Bar right in the jaw. Swelled up the side of my face. looked like I had another adams apple lol

And Im sure I will think of many more as Im sure that you will all have yours. Stupid thing is these are all silly accidents most of the time that shouldnt happen. But you just seem to let common sense slip when you are really into the job at hand lol.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:46 Quote
the thing i hate is when your trying to get your crank off, and the tool slips and you drag your knuckles across your chain rings. then it takes like 2 months to finally heal since your constantly moving the skin were you cut Thumbs Down .

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:48 Quote
odin333 wrote:
the thing i hate is when your trying to get your crank off, and the tool slips and you drag your knuckles across your chain rings. then it takes like 2 months to finally heal since your constantly moving the skin were you cut Thumbs Down .

lol my mate was trying to pull out his saint cranks (hollow tech 2 design) and as the bearing released the shaft he smacked him self right in the bollox and coiled over in agony lol. I couldnt help but laff.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:48 Quote
odin333 wrote:

+1

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:50 Quote
Finger stuck in rotor-cut more then halfway through my finger

Blown up tubes in my face

Getting stabbed with frayed cables

Nothing too bad, just little stuff.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:53 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:

Getting stabbed with frayed cables

frayed cables are annoying. especially if they go every which way because you haven't changed them all season. then they scratch the underside of your arms and its itchy for two days Frown

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:57 Quote
I passed out for some reason while climbing the racking to get a bike down once and fell 12 feet onto a concrete floor. Does that count? lol

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:57 Quote
oh god if you get cables stuck in your finger for a while it can be awful. My mate had a bit in his finger for ages. Just couldnt get it out. Start swelling up and going septic. So when the lump was big enough he just got some cutters and litterally cut it off lol. Blood everywhere but he couldnt be happier coz that had been causing him so much pain for a long time lol

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 16:08 Quote
Just thought of another one. Walking past a bloody bmx with F**cking stunt pegs on and bashing your shins.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 16:08 Quote
Or opening a box to get a new bike out and scratching your self on those bloody staples

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
yea box staples are probably my most common. blowing a bead on a tire always sucks. i'm always really paranoid of catching a finger in my drivetrain so i've managed to avoid that one.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 7:56 Quote
Getting stabbed by cables
Smacking head on the bike stand
Tripping OVER the bike stand

But the worst one (and the most funniest) was me breaking my nose with a pedal spanner! Kinda wasnt paying attention and just slipped off the pedal and wacked me for one.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 8:12 Quote
Frayed cables!! grrr and box staples - the worst, then your finger/hand won't stop bleeding and you get blood all over the box fresh bike. F**KING STUNT pegs, it's a big hazard in the bike shop, ouch my shins.

One of the guys in our bike shop used the wrong crank-remover tool and stripped the thread of the crank, whilst trying to hammer the crank of my friend broke his finger with the hammer. It was about twice the size of his other fingers for weeks.

I somehow managed to cut my knuckles when I slipped undoing a disc bolt (as the tension released from the bolt I gashed my hand on the edge of the rotor) and this took weeks to heel (because the skin always moving! as mentioned above)... I've still got the scar running down my finger from that one!

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 10:30 Quote
I always manage to catch a bit of skin in the folding pedals on bloody dahons! So annoying Madder

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011462
Mobile Version of Website