Recommendations for 1st time Disc Brake Purchase

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Recommendations for 1st time Disc Brake Purchase
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 13:59 Quote
how bout juicy 7 they give me plenty of powere and look great but again theyll need to be bled mine do and i barely even used them

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:01 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Just get a shop to do it!!!
I stick with Elixer R's as my suggestion, the Stroker trails are great to. Unfortunately they have different issues.
Elixer-Pad rub issues
Stroker-Sticky piston. I prefer the lever shape and adjustment ease of use of the stroker.
Dude, hes riding XC/AM, never owned a disc brake before...why the f*ck would be buy a top of the line hydro disc? what??????? to be cool???????/
Function over form buddy. thats the golden one.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
dylaine wrote:
nishnash wrote:
I stick with Elixer R's as my suggestion, the Stroker trails are great to. Unfortunately they have different issues.
Elixer-Pad rub issues
Stroker-Sticky piston. I prefer the lever shape and adjustment ease of use of the stroker.
Dude, hes riding XC/AM, never owned a disc brake before...why the f*ck would be buy a top of the line hydro disc? what??????? to be cool???????/
Top of the line=not avid or hayes.
The stroker and Elixer's are THE SINGLE MOST (well actually the two most) Multi-Purpose brakes out there. Enough power for DH and light weight enough for XC. They ARE NOT by any means top of the line brakes. They can be purchased (as a pair) for under $300.
As for function over form, they look cool sure, they are blingy sure, but they perform great. Well I haven't ridden the Stroker on a trail, around the shop i have though, they felt really nice. The Elixers were also really good, i rode em on whistler.

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:07 Quote
i doubt that seeing as my juicy seven was 200 just for the one breaking system

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
jakal44444 wrote:
i doubt that seeing as my juicy seven was 200 just for the one breaking system
Eat your words!!! Big Grin
Elixer R on competitive cyclist, $130, and you can get em cheaper because CC sells for MSRP
AMAZING deal on Stroker Carbon's, the highest end strokers. The Trails MSRP about the same price, look online for deals, CRC would be way cheaper two. Competitive Cyclist sells for MSRP

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:15 Quote
o i c but i dont order online so ya lol

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:16 Quote
jakal44444 wrote:
o i c but i dont order online so ya lol
I dont either, my point is that on Competitive Cyclist the sell for MSRP, most shops (around here) sell for below MSRP, or at it, so chances are that you will get similar prices.

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
nishnash wrote:
dylaine wrote:
nishnash wrote:
Elixer-Pad rub issues
The stroker and Elixer's are THE SINGLE MOST (well actually the two most) Multi-Purpose brakes out there. Enough power for DH and light weight enough for XC. They ARE NOT by any means top of the line brakes. They can be purchased (as a pair) for under $300.
As for function over form, they look cool sure, they are blingy sure, but they perform great. Well I haven't ridden the Stroker on a trail, around the shop i have though, they felt really nice. The Elixers were also really good, i rode em on whistler.
Yo that doesn't mean shit.
the guy needs something simple for a first disc brake...How hard is that too understand?

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
dylaine wrote:
nishnash wrote:
dylaine wrote:
Yo that doesn't mean shit.
the guy needs something simple for a first disc brake...How hard is that too understand?
I'm pretty sure he'll figure out how to use hydraulics well enough if he reads some online guids. The avid BB7 may well be a good brake for the money and for a beginner, but if i had the money, i'd want to get the best i could for my cash and learn how to use it. Obviously, in certain situations, that may not be the case, but that's just my opinion

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
Makes sense to me, the thing is he has got to learn how to bleed sometime in his life, so may as well do it now.
Your argument is just as "good" as the beginner biker needs a beginner bike. It doesn't work, sure a beginner DH'er shouldnt buy and M6, but for stuff like AM if I can afford a 5-6 inch Scott Ransom LTD why wouldnt I? its lighter, more adjustable, and that means I am going to have a better experience with it more likely. rather than be frustrated with not enough travel, to heavy, things like that.
MY point is that if he can get an Elixer R he is better off. You have to admit the Elixer is a better brake.
Also how is a Mechanical simpler? Its harder to adjust, the cables are a pain in the ass, and they are more susceptible to be affected by mud and such jamming their systems (ive done it, NOT fun).
EDIT: thank you SAM!!! Heck, brakes usually come with PICTURE instructions on how to bleed, and their are MILLIONS of tutorials, from books, to videos, to text on how to do it.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
jaymoney wrote:
hayes imo.
lol, the strokers are their first nice brake in a long, long, long time.....

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:47 Quote
nishnash wrote:
jaymoney wrote:
hayes imo.
lol, the strokers are their first nice brake in a long, long, long time.....
no, they are the "only" nice hayes brake

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:48 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Makes sense to me, the thing is he has got to learn how to bleed sometime in his life, so may as well do it now.
Your argument is just as "good" as the beginner biker needs a beginner bike. It doesn't work, sure a beginner DH'er shouldnt buy and M6, but for stuff like AM if I can afford a 5-6 inch Scott Ransom LTD why wouldnt I? its lighter, more adjustable, and that means I am going to have a better experience with it more likely. rather than be frustrated with not enough travel, to heavy, things like that.
MY point is that if he can get an Elixer R he is better off. You have to admit the Elixer is a better brake.
Also how is a Mechanical simpler? Its harder to adjust, the cables are a pain in the ass, and they are more susceptible to be affected by mud and such jamming their systems (ive done it, NOT fun).
EDIT: thank you SAM!!! Heck, brakes usually come with PICTURE instructions on how to bleed, and their are MILLIONS of tutorials, from books, to videos, to text on how to do it.
I agree man, my first (and only, so far) disc brake was a tektro mechanical disc that came on my carrera, and it gave me no end of grief. It's a pain in the arse to adjust, cable pull etc, they're not as powerful (or so i hear) and they're constantly bogging down if you get a bit of mud on the discs. Maybe the BB7 is a better brake, but they've put me off mechanical discs. My new bike is going to have hydraulic for sure.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 14:52 Quote
Hydraulic is 10000x more powerful indefinitely. And better modulation. Also a common problem with Mechanical brakes that i find is when you adjust or replace the cables sometimes you crank the bolt as hard as you can, then you go onto the trail, the little thing that holds the cable in bends with the pressure and the cable slips, and bang no stopping power what soever.
Hydraulic=the way to go.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010764
Mobile Version of Website