Large riders, riding large V10's

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Large riders, riding large V10's
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:45 Quote
Hey all, I ride a large 2008 Santa Cruz V10, and I weigh with my kit on about 215/220lbs. I'm 5'11" and I prefer to be stretched out a bit, hence the large. I'm thinking about changing out the spring, 500lb, to a 550/600lb on my Fox DHX 5.0, looking to get the bike to pop a bit more, yet still keep the rear wheel on the ground, and allowing me to run less pressure in the Boost Valve, giving me more adjustment with my compression. I've checked the Santa Cruz website for spring size for my weight, and it appears I'm on the line for a 500 or 550lb spring. Comparing the V10 to other DH bikes I've spent time on, it doesn't pop as quick as other, but wow, what a ride eh! So I want some real world experience from the real deals who rid'em.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:49 Quote
Jerneyman wrote:
Hey all, I ride a large 2008 Santa Cruz V10, and I weigh with my kit on about 215/220lbs. I'm 5'11" and I prefer to be stretched out a bit, hence the large. I'm thinking about changing out the spring, 500lb, to a 550/600lb on my Fox DHX 5.0, looking to get the bike to pop a bit more, yet still keep the rear wheel on the ground, and allowing me to run less pressure in the Boost Valve, giving me more adjustment with my compression. I've checked the Santa Cruz website for spring size for my weight, and it appears I'm on the line for a 500 or 550lb spring. Comparing the V10 to other DH bikes I've spent time on, it doesn't pop as quick as other, but wow, what a ride eh! So I want some real world experience from the real deals who rid'em.

Cheers

Honestly, you're never going to make the V-10 very popable. A good buddy of mine is about your size and runs the 550 and the bike rides awesome. It's just that, by design, the VPP requires you to sit way down in the suspension stroke which means that you've then got to work back through that much travel to get any pop out of the suspension. The V-10 suspension is just geared too much to downhill to really ever be a good jumper. By the time you have a spring heavy enough to make her pop, you'll have lost all that wonderful traction that the suspension gives you on the downhills.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:54 Quote
Agree with all that you've said, thanks. Yes I fully dig, and understand the VPP, this is my 3rd, seems a bit too deep in sag when I'm riding, yet I don't have a 550 laying around to check-out.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:06 Quote
how does the large feel? i am 176 cm and i consider getting a large v 10. i now have small Demo 7 with a 888 and the wheelbase is the same as the large v10.(46.2 inches)
is the bike sluggish? i think the medium v 10 is silly short. thanks a lot!

FL
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:09 Quote
Jerneyman wrote:

Cheers
the driver 8 frame seems like the one your after, more jumpable but with the same frame design as the v10, with the 2" less of travel you'll loose all that sag which naturally comes with the v10's suspension deisgn

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
Thanks for the post, but I'm not looking to buy a new frame, just tighten mine up a bit. The V10 can feel a bit sluggish in tight, non-steep terrain, but when you get it into steep, techy, babyheads, it's a MONSTER. Regardless of the dimensions on the website, it is very close to the same size as my large Santa Cruz Nomad.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 10:33 Quote
Jerneyman wrote:
Thanks for the post, but I'm not looking to buy a new frame, just tighten mine up a bit. The V10 can feel a bit sluggish in tight, non-steep terrain, but when you get it into steep, techy, babyheads, it's a MONSTER. Regardless of the dimensions on the website, it is very close to the same size as my large Santa Cruz Nomad.

I think w-e-w should pitch in; he's about your (our) size and runs a 600lbs spring.
A few other people I know our size run the same spring. I'm waiting on my '09 frame and will run a 600lbs.

Used to ride a Large VP-Free with a 550 spring, but that's a different leverage ratio.
Changing the spring from 500 to 550 on the Free completely transformed the bike.
Also, I spent quite a bit of time on my buddy's '07 V10 and I feel it's undersprung at 550lbs.

BETTER YET - got to tftuned.com and look for the spring calculator. It's the best out there.

I think you'll feel a difference going with a 600lbs spring.

I'm also 200-210 - depending of the time of the year... Big Grin

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
Yeah.. i weigh about 215/220 in my birthday suit and I'm running a 600lb spring.

It was stock with a 450 think, and I had a 550 from another bike, they were too soft and the 600lb gave me the right sag and feel.

You're probably right on the cusp of 550 / 600, so if you do want a bit more lively feel, go with the 600lb.

Better yet.. if you have a decent bike shop, they might have one of each kicking around for you to test the sag and then sell you the right one.

You don't want to be cranking, cranking, cranking down on the spring to reduce the sag.. you just want to put the spring in, snug it down with a full turn or two, and the right spring should give you the correct sag.

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
I'm not sure how valid this is given that I have only been on my bike two days on icy snowy trails, so I haven't really been able to give 'er on it, but I've got a 600lbs spring, weigh a mere (compared to you guys!!) 185lbs, and so far it feels really nice. I can peddle on sections I haven't been able to on other bikes because the rear end, even with an alledgely overly heavy spring for my weight, flattens out the terrain like crazy.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009372
Mobile Version of Website