Marzocchi 08 DJ1 - only go down an inch!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Marzocchi 08 DJ1 - only go down an inch!
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 19:48 Quote
now that I have fixed the rebound the compression feels a bit too soft even after adding air to the chamber and changing to 15 weight oil. I looked around and I guess marzocchi stopped making aftermarket stiffer springs for the dj series because they didn't sell enough. anybody know if a spring that is available for any other fork would be compatible?

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 7:53 Quote
Try a 55 spring, it might fit. I'm only saying this because the 55 spring is longer and will already be partly compressed when you put it in the fork.

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 19:04 Quote
This is too much intense bike-shop work for me already :S

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 18:55 Quote
hey guess. my marz DJ1 2008 rebound cartridge stopped goin down n stuff about 2 months ago. i just ignored it but now thati have found this thread im hopeing someone can give me some clear instructions on how i can solve this problem as i want to lower my fork aswell but i cant because i cant get the rebound cartridge to go down Frown

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 20:31 Quote
Read everything, including the Original Post.. The OP!

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 18:43 Quote
If only we could get pics of the procedure. I am a visual learner. I read that series of instructions and I think it would be easier with pics or video for reference.

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
If only we could get pics of the procedure. I am a visual learner. I read that series of instructions and I think it would be easier with pics or video for reference.

im not just saying this but when i was doing it i was going to take pictures of each step but then i forgot because when i drilled the second hole a lot of oil sprayed at me and went all of my shirt so i completely forgot to take pictures from there on haha!

O+
Posted: May 4, 2009 at 9:46 Quote
I just did this on my 55r, I actually got pictures and instructions from Marzocchi. While doing the procedure I ran into one problem, on step two you are supposed to push the rod all the way down so the floating piston will be at the end of the cartridge. My cartridge was so plugged up that it only went in about an inch. So I skipped ahead to step five to remedy the pressure build up. This was a good and bad idea, Good because it relieved the pressure, bad because the pressure build up was caused by a large amount of fork oil in the cartridge, this makes for a bit of a mess. But I am guessing that this was the reason I was only getting 2in of travel from a 6in travel fork... If anyone needs the picture instructions, PM or email me and I will get you that...

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 18:44 Quote
From the Canadian, it worked! Thanks so much nova66! I was scared shitless drilling into it, but my only "problem" was drilling the second hole, when the oil came spraying out.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
sweet im glad it work out for u

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 12:48 Quote
The mechanic at my LBS did the Nova66's tutorial with a few changes and it worked great ! See below how that went:

Tools needed:

» Drill
» 1.5mm drill bit
» Fork oil (160-180 cc of 7.5w)
» A paper clip

Step One = Drill a 1.5 mm hole 21mm from the bottom of the hexagon nut.

The cartridge will loose pressure. Dont expect a huge BANG ... It only did a quiet psssssssssss. At the end of the cartridge there is a seal. If you do here the first drill only the nitrogen will get out. This is why this step is very important... If you drill somewhere else the pressure will push the oil and the result is a huge mess.

Step Two = Make a 1.5mm hole at 35mm from the bottom of the cartridge (make the operation very slowly).

The oil will begin to leak so get something to put it.

Step Three = Make a 1.5mm hole at 12mm from the top of the tube. Depth of drilling max 4mm.

Now The oil will leak with ease and you will be able to cycle the rod trough all the travel. Make shure the respect the 4 mm (the clip with a mark will help) otherwise you can damage the rod.

Step Four = Make sure the cartridge has no oil in it and then re-assemble the cartridge in the fork. Get rid of the oil from the cartridge.

Step Five = Fill back up with 7.5w suspension oil (quantity varies from 160 cc to 180cc)

This was done to a Dirtjumper 2 from 2009.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 12:58 Quote
While I don't know about the dj's, I know for a fact that you can send a hydro-locking 55 to marzocchi and they'll warranty it. But you have to wait for the always long marzocchi turnaround. But if you don't want to drill into your fork it's a good option

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
joaovidal12 wrote:
The mechanic at my LBS did the Nova66's tutorial with a few changes and it worked great ! See below how that went:

Tools needed:

» Drill
» 1.5mm drill bit
» A paper clip

The cartridge will loose pressure. Dont expect a huge BANG ... It only did a quiet psssssssssss. At the end of the cartridge there is a seal. If you do here the first drill only the nitrogen will get out. This is why this step is very important... If you drill somewhere else the pressure will push the oil and the result is a huge mess.

Step Two = Make a 1.5mm hole at 35mm from the bottom of the cartridge (make the operation very slowly).

Step Three = Make a 1.5mm hole at 12mm from the top of the tube. Depth of drilling max 4mm.

Now The oil will leak with ease and you will be able to cycle the rod trough all the travel. Make shure the respect the 4 mm (the clip with a mark will help) otherwise you can damage the rod.

Step Four = Make sure the cartridge has no oil in it and then re-assemble the cartridge in the fork. Get rid of the oil from the cartridge.

Step Five = Fill back up with 7.5w suspension oil (quantity varies from 160 cc to 180cc)

what was this done for?

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 19:33 Quote
michaelp1 wrote:
joaovidal12 wrote:

Tools needed:

» Drill
» 1.5mm drill bit
» A paper clip

what was this done for?

this is what you can do if a 55 or a dj fork locks up.it turns it into an openbath system. the openbath is a 100 times better than a cartage.most of the dj's and the 55's use the same cartage

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 20:12 Quote
joaovidal12 wrote:

Tools needed:

» Drill
» 1.5mm drill bit
» A paper clip

Wow. I wish I had these instructions at first, really clear and they work. Thanks dude.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024411
Mobile Version of Website