HELP me PLEASE !

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
HELP me PLEASE !
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
ok so im down in my basement right now taking off my marzocchi drop off 4's but i dont know how to take my head set off...every thing else is off

Thx Ty.

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:07 Quote
If the headsets not the part your not replacing dont even screw with it, those are the worst things to mess with i think, too many parts, just loosen the stem, then take off the cap above the stem and slide the stem off and its off, you dont even need to take off the headset

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:07 Quote
ya but it wont slide off

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:09 Quote
hmm, i dont know then, my bike it just slides off when i take the stem off, i dont know whats wrong with it then, but i dont think the headsets doin anything, thats just 2 bearings in the headtube

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:10 Quote
maybe if i tap it with a rubber mallet? (lightly)

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:12 Quote
Yeah, that might work, the only problem with that is it might knock the headset bearing at the bottom out, no big deal, it goes back in, but i would just hold that bearing while your hitting the top of the fork

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:14 Quote
first, you shoulda looked in the mech forum, second, i HATE threads with nemes like HELP me PLEASE, and third, why are you taking it off, unless you are replacing it, you do not need to take it off. you could ice the headset and then try to tap it off if you really need too, or if youre getting rid of it, you could but a flat screwdriver through the headtube and tap it out.

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:15 Quote
im just tryin to take off my fork

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:16 Quote
but you dont need to take the headset off to take off a fork

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:18 Quote
Step 1: Loosen to cap, remove top cap and screw
2) Loosen stem bolts, the fork should slide out. watch the drop!
3) if not, slife the stem off, then the stack washers, being mindful of order.
4) under the washers there may be a split or conical washer the needs to me lifted off the steerer. This *may* be your problem. Push up on the fork and try to relieve the tension, be nice though, its alum.
5) once you have it off, depending on what you're running, you will only need one piece off the old fork, the lower race. Its usually split these days, but you may need to tap it off, and be nice, its alum.

If your stem is siezed then thats a whole different deal. It may be the tapered washed in the headset under the stack washers thats making your staurday suck. best of luck bro!

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:23 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/311XMcziaNL._SL250_.jpg
The compression ring (see above) is most likely what is holding your fork steerer there. No worries, just give the steerer a tap with a rubber mallet and your fork should just slide out once the compression ring opens out from the the impact.

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 16:33 Quote
still not workin im gonna post pics

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008948
Mobile Version of Website