Bike with 5" - 6" rear travel

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Bike with 5" - 6" rear travel
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 22:42 Quote
the one i was riding was dhx 5 air and 66 and it felt like crap, maybe the kid didnt tune his suspension right, but even from the air i managed to squeeze out of it, it still wasnt as nimble as claimed by the review.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 22:44 Quote
i dont like the air back shock on the br. bottoms too easy. honestly the best back sock for the bike is a poushed 5.0 coil or a stock roco tst belive it or not! haha my friend has the roco and i am tempted to buy one for mine! well i got to go to bed got big test tomarrow. i will check back tomarrow.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 16:21 Quote
check chainlove.com now. ltd meta 6 for 1300 complete

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 17:33 Quote
pake wrote:
check chainlove.com now. ltd meta 6 for 1300 complete
that bikes rad!

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
Banshee wildcard. 5 and 6 inch travel, adjust travel fork and you have MANY bikes in one from shore(totem) to dj(argyle etc...). I put a 36 Talas on mine this week and I now have 3 bikes. Oh and put what you like for a rear shock cuz it's faux bar so it pedals great

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 23:10 Quote
Reign X - the bike is super plush with over 6.5" of travel, has "all around" geometry, and comes with all mountain components. If you wanted to be serious about slopestyle/freeride with the reign you would need to spend at least $1000 on parts to make the bike not break off everything. Then after spending all that money, you would've just realized you could've just built a completely custom bike with a sick slopestylefreeride frame. I had a reign X and it was one of the best bikes I've ever owned just because it was quite versatile. BUT, it did nothing really good especially jumping/freeriding. I have no problem believing that someone built up a reign X and can do flips and spins on it - wow they could probably do flips and spins on almost any type of bike that would handle it. My reign X felt like crap to 360 (and don't say i didn't have it set up properly), I twisted the rear end of the bike after a season, and a had to replace half the parts on it. Sure it might be lighter than the bottle rocket, but the build of the frame is significantly less stiff. The reign X and it's maestro system is the PERFECT bike if you want a do everything bike. In order to be the 'do everything bike', Giant had to sacrifice components in respect to every discipline of riding.
Just my opinion.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 9:35 Quote
^^^^Had a Reign X1 also and also put about 2 grand into it. Dhx 5, Saint crank, E13 cg, wider bars, stem, cassette, x9 derr, etc.. It still never Dj'd for shite and a 4x was laboursom.That said I did learn a lot aboard that bike and which way to go next

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 13:02 Quote
bkbroiler wrote:
Banshee wildcard. 5 and 6 inch travel, adjust travel fork and you have MANY bikes in one from shore(totem) to dj(argyle etc...). I put a 36 Talas on mine this week and I now have 3 bikes. Oh and put what you like for a rear shock cuz it's faux bar so it pedals great
faux bar does NOT pedal great...

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
That-Norco-Dude wrote:
bkbroiler wrote:
It does with the right shock, but anything pedals well with the right shock.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
That-Norco-Dude wrote:
bkbroiler wrote:
no, faux bar pedals horribly. that's why maestro and VPP are so well-like because of their genius design that has zero pedal bob

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 15:34 Quote
pake wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
That-Norco-Dude wrote:

no, faux bar pedals horribly. that's why maestro and VPP are so well-like because of their genius design that has zero pedal bob
Facepalm 99% of all frames will pedal well with a shock set up correctly for pedaling. VPP, DW, and Maestro all pedal well with a shite shock, which sets them apart from the rest.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 15:56 Quote
faux bar sucks at pedaling. that and brake jack are it's two biggest problems. ride a giant reign or an intense 5.5 and then compare it to a bike with faux bar. also, the ICT is another good suspension platform that pedals well.

the ICT is used by Ellsworth and it's a four bar link, but with the horst link near the drop outs. that is what makes all the difference

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
pake wrote:
faux bar sucks at pedaling. that and brake jack are it's two biggest problems. ride a giant reign or an intense 5.5 and then compare it to a bike with faux bar. also, the ICT is another good suspension platform that pedals well.

the ICT is used by Ellsworth and it's a four bar link, but with the horst link near the drop outs. that is what makes all the difference
Facepalm You sir , are one of the most ignorant people I've ever seen post on this site. Please stop replying to my posts.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
well when you are wrong it's hard not to correct it. another thing, if you haven't had any experience riding xc or am with a bike that has VPP, ICT, DW, or FSR you can't say that faux bar is better. the shock makes minimal difference for pedaling. if it did make THE difference, then people would buy cheap kona's or something and then spend the rest of the money on a new rear shock.

I have ridden a 2009 reign x0 and it pedals amazing. i look down and the shock doesn't move at all while pedaling

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 at 18:21 Quote
Go pedal a stinky with dialed suspension then a sx trail dialed or undialed... huuuuge difference.. but back on topic.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012165
Mobile Version of Website